Sold After 38 Days!!??

KDSS is in fact better that the 24 LC
The GX has it. It’s bad if you intend to make modifications and it adds some complication but it does make the ride nicer day to day.

Last edited:
I'm sure many have seen this on the facebook group, but I just saw this post, and it's concerning. Wondering if anyone has had similar experiences to this. Please comment.

View attachment 8625

He're's an excerpt explaining his reasoning:

Bottom line, it was two main things: It did not make me happy and it did not seem like a good trade for $60K.
A little background. I am financially stable. I live an active lifestyle and engage in outdoor sports/activities often. I am tech savvy and like automation when it makes sense and is useful. I came from a 2020 T4R OR. I am the target market for the LC and planned to use it as intended, as a family fun vehicle. On paper, the LC seemed like the perfect candidate.
Things I greatly disliked:
1. The TSS 3.0 stuff is very intrusive and annoying to deal with. Pulling into my garage it would still autobrake when I got close to the wall. Yes, even with PDA off. Yes, even with collision detection off. It is all poorly executed and I would rather not have 90% of it. It slowly ate away at my ownership experience. I was often wondering what was going to intrude on me or annoy me next.
2. Needless complexity. The manual is almost 1000 pages. The quick reference guide is 300 pages. If you need 1000 pages to explain how all the stuff in your SUV works, you have a complexity problem. If you have to have a manual specifically for the infotainment, you have a complexity problem. If even your quick reference guide is 300 pages, you have a complexity problem. Most features should be intuitive and self-explanatory. Many other vehicles are able to pull this off without needing 1000 page manuals.
Try going from station 1 to 20 on Sirius XM with your steering wheel controls. You can’t. You have to use the - + control on the infotainment screen. So maybe save every station 1-50 as a preset? Nope. Sorry. 20 preset limit. This problem has endured for something like 12 years. My 2012 Corvette was the same way. My 2020 T4R OR was the same. Incredibly annoying. There is literally no way to simply browse the stations one by one without taking your hand off the steering wheel.
No reason to go over the dash menu system. It is a train wreck and needlessly complicated, as I am sure most people already know.
3. Aesthetics and low budget feel. I do not like the Prado association. The Prado is a lower market vehicle. The dash and infotainment screens of the 1958 do not match what a $60K vehicle should have. A Camry gives you a bigger infotainment screen at half the price. I get it, they are trying to push you to the LC trim, but it is still a $60K vehicle. The rear compartment has vents and USB-C ports indicating they did not prepare for or plan for having a separate rear interior for the markets with no third row. Feels like they did not finish development or just said “screw it.” The mirror and gizmo pod blocks a large portion of an already small windshield.
4. Stuff that did not work right. The dash would display “window open” when my DS door was open. No, the window was not cracked. Somehow, that magically fixed itself after a month of ownership. The infotainment ambient light brightness control is completely nonfunctional. Even when it is dark out, the screen is blindingly bright. The ambient light control is simply nonfunctional. In a strange twist, two days ago, my infotainment and all controls/settings randomly reset themselves. The screen went back to the daytime theme and supernova brightness. All electronic nannies were back on to annoy me. For some reason when using apple carplay the volume is half as loud as all the other sources. You have to crank it up to hear it. The cruise control icon is always on. It never goes away, regardless of whether I am using cruise or not. Even in park. Regardless of the settings or amount of times I push the steering wheel button.
5. The hybrid driveline system is clunky. There is an obvious jerk when the engine kicks in. The hybrid system seems to do nothing at low speeds where it is likely the most useful (stop and go traffic) because the engine kicks on at anything over “idle speed.” There is a delay when you hit the gas from a stop. When pulling out in traffic you have to floor it to get to traffic speed fast enough to not hold everyone else up.
6. Aside from the vehicle itself, another thing I do not like is the general path/direction of Toyota. Between the Tundra and GX engine recall, forcing everyone into hybrids if you want a Camry, and increasing data collection practices, I just do not want to be a part of it. There has been a departure from their company values and culture and it is costing them a lot.
Things I liked about it.
1. Distinctive style and heritage. Nothing else looks like it. Everyone wants to know what it is and wants to talk about it.
2. The hybrid system. It saves gas and when it is assisting the gas engine, you can definitely feel it…as long as you are already moving. Having a built-in 2400W inverter at your disposal is fantastic and a huge asset for campers.
3. Spacious interior. Plenty of room, but still did not feel like a “huge” vehicle.
4. Off-road capability/suspension. On light off-road, it does not even feel like you are off-road at all; it feels like you are still on pavement. On road, it is easy to get around and comfortable to drive. Toyota got this right.
You can take your complaints and leave the forum now. Next time maybe do your research first.

You can take your complaints and leave the forum now. Next time maybe do your research first.
Its my understanding that the OP copied it from a Facebook post. In my opinion there's no harm in getting other people's viewpoint (good or bad) as it helps folks who are still in the hunt waiting for their LC or thinking of actually ordering one.

The GX has it. It’s bad if you intend to make modifications and it adds some complication but it does make the ride nicer day to day.
There was a review that suggested Toyota ditched KDSS for the LC due the reliability concerns for the intended use. If I am remembering correctly, it is the top gear UK review.

I would say KDSS is pretty reliable for 99% of users, but I am not sure how reliable it would be for constant heavy offroad use. It is also rather expensive to fix ($4-10k USD), and requires specialized equipment to fix.

Last edited:
My digital key works, but the vehicle warns me that a key has been added and to contact the dealer. There's an iOS widget for the key?

I like the digital key for a backup, but I'm assuming it will work without cellular. I want a backup for the key fobs, especially out of cellular coverage.
I just assumed the digital key was for a one time use in an emergency if you lost your key I tried it once and it also disappeared so I figured that was the intent.

I just assumed the digital key was for a one time use in an emergency if you lost your key I tried it once and it also disappeared so I figured that was the intent.
Maybe it is. I'm trying to figure out if the phone app can unlock and start the car without cell service. The primary Tesla key is simply the phone using bluetooth. Backup being NFC cards and the app over cellular.

With the LC I've seen the key fob struggle to connect to my locked car. I'm wondering about backup.

Maybe it is. I'm trying to figure out if the phone app can unlock and start the car without cell service. The primary Tesla key is simply the phone using bluetooth. Backup being NFC cards and the app over cellular.

With the LC I've seen the key fob struggle to connect to my locked car. I'm wondering about backup.
It most likely not. The phone sends a signal via cell or WiFi to an Amazon hosted server. After validation, it will send a signal out to the land cruiser, and the only way the Land Cruiser can receive that signal is via cell.

So there you go, no cell no workie

Also, because of the Amazon hosted infrastructure, that is why they charge for remote services.

I am not positive that they use Amazon hosting, but when Amazon had a huge meltdown, Toyota’s remote services didn’t work for a few days.

Its my understanding that the OP copied it from a Facebook post. In my opinion there's no harm in getting other people's viewpoint (good or bad) as it helps folks who are still in the hunt waiting for their LC or thinking of actually ordering one.
BINGO

Last edited:
Same here except when I'm coming to a stop, maybe 1 out of 10 times there's a clunk. It doesn't really bother me, but I'll have to watch my gauges carefully and try to catch if it's just a hard downshift or the hybrid regen is kicking in?

I’ve caught the ‘clunk’ a few times now during the slowdown to a stop. The hybrid gauges don’t register anything, so it seems like a hard downshift rather than hybrid kicking in. Not sure if it’s something a software update could fix or not.

I’ve caught the ‘clunk’ a few times now during the slowdown to a stop. The hybrid gauges don’t register anything, so it seems like a hard downshift rather than hybrid kicking in. Not sure if it’s something a software update could fix or not.
Think I got so use to loud clunks with the transmission on my old Z71 that it would take something super loud for me to notice. Of course the transmission on that Z71 was still going strong at 95,000 miles so while the occasional thuds that would reverberate through the body of the truck when I sped up or put it into reverse didn’t seem to be causing any lasting damage, they probably made me immune to noticing anything on my LC.

I thought that was the regenerative braking kicking in? I really don't like the way mine drives between 0-30 mph. Accelerating from a stop it feels like a CVT. Coasting to a stop works until about 12 mph then the regenerative braking kicks in and slows you abruptly, until you hit about 5 mph then it lets go. My MPG is 18.2, not good enough for all the tradeoffs that come with this hybrid. And really, due to corporate fuel economy standards I think we all got stuck with hybrids so that Toyota can sell more full size pickups to Americans to drive to the grocery store.

Last edited:
Sounds like he should have done more research and test drives before making a, what sounds like, an impulse buy with immediate “buyers’s remorse”.
With that said, I love my Land Cruiser/Prado/J250/all around fun and capable Toyota suv.

So these things have a User Manual?

I just drive mine and occasionally flip through the menu and discover new things about it. I’ll never try to understand all the features. I am really enjoying it.

I bought numerous vehicles in my life time to include tundras, 4Runners, Tacomas… and by far, this vehicle makes my very happy! I like the look, the drive, the electronics and don’t mine a small peppy engine… I traded my 2022 Chevrolet Trailboss LT for this beauty! My only concern…. This is my first Hybrid! But, I am happy… did I say that already 😜

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    428.3 KB · Views: 20
You have to be of a certain mindset and insecurity about brand names can't be a factor. The market for people willing to pay 60k or 70k for a Toyota SUV is small when you can easily get a GLE/X5/Q7 for the same money. The person willing to pay this much for a Toyota is very different from someone paying it for a "luxury" brand.
I have to agree, the person paying this kind of money for a Toyota does have a very different mindset from someone with similar budget for a ‘luxury’ brand. It’s just a different value system & way of thinking. I see it too in where one chooses to buy a home. My neighborhood you will pay more for a smaller older house without modern amenities compared to newer neighborhoods with more homes to choose from, yet you’re rewarded with location & community.

It’s not right or wrong, yet I don’t think the market is that small, I see people all the time on Toyota forums trading in (or keeping if they can) 10-15yo Toyotas as they’ve thoroughly enjoyed them & felt it was a good enough value purchase to warrant another. I just hope Toyota can keep up their reputation for reliability as it’s what their customers have come to expect & are willing to pay for.

“It did not make me happy“….. says it all..

If he is looking for happiness, from a vehicle, that’s his misdirection and stupidity..
While I certainly get buying the wrong vehicle & being unhappy with your purchase, life is just too short to not cut your losses & make a purchase you are happy with. Ultimate happiness won’t come from a vehicle, but hopefully it will take you to places that afford the memories & experiences that make a life well lived & do promote happiness.

I thought that was the regenerative braking kicking in? I really don't like the way mine drives between 0-30 mph. Accelerating from a stop it feels like a CVT. Coasting to a stop works until about 12 mph then the regenerative braking kicks in and slows you abruptly, until you hit about 5 mph then it lets go. My MPG is 18.2, not good enough for all the tradeoffs that come with this hybrid. And really, due to corporate fuel economy standards I think we all got stuck with hybrids so that Toyota can sell more full size pickups to Americans to drive to the grocery store.

I thought the same thing, so I started watching my iforce and max gauges as I was slowing down. During the clunk I’m noticing on mine, neither of those gauges register anything. I’m not sure what else would account for the clunk except the transmission.

[EDIT: context was somehow removed from this post, in response to OP's inane/random injection of political views]

What you seem not to understand is that it's probably only 'funny' to those with similar views to your own narrow perspective. If you had any ability to look at it from another perspective, you might find that you, too, wouldn't find it very funny if some rando on the internet made a political slight aimed toward your political views, in a car forum, a place where we convene for... car discussions.

You should check out Reddit for your particular brand of inane response, it's a great place to see how your comment flies in the face of the public, as there are both upvotes and downvotes. Of course, said reaction is completely bound to which echo chamber (sub-reddit) in which it is posted.

I do have a sense of humor, it is simply not the same as yours, clearly (I'm guessing you probably assume my political leanings, and you'd likely be wrong).

You have a great day.

Last edited:
Back