Sold After 38 Days!!??

How do you do this? My steering wheel button seems to only cycle through my favorites. Is there a setting change?
Press and hold. Pretty sure I was experimenting and tried this, and it went from channel to channel sequentially.

No such thing as 'kidding' when you randomly inject politics into a discussion about cars.

Weak stream.
Seriously, you know it's the most easily triggered ones when they inject their entire political identity randomly for no reason.

Just my two cents, but I'm hyper critical of almost every product. Just because I own it doesn't mean I'm not going to trash it when it's deserved.

Our other two cars are Mercedes. An e class and a gle so coming from that level of comfort and tech, I was ready for a big downgrade. Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the experience so far. The LC is comfortable and the tech is great. Some of the assistance systems need to be dialed down and the tech / screens aren't as nice looking as the other cars, but they are really solid overall. The driving position is fantastic and everything feels solid.

You have to be of a certain mindset and insecurity about brand names can't be a factor. The market for people willing to pay 60k or 70k for a Toyota SUV is small when you can easily get a GLE/X5/Q7 for the same money. The person willing to pay this much for a Toyota is very different from someone paying it for a "luxury" brand.

I think perspective really matters here. I suspect that folks shopping for a cool-looking family car with the road manners of a cross-over SUV are going to be disappointed by the Land Cruiser. It's a body-on-frame truck with purpose built suspension, full time 4WD, and a lot of cheats to get the fuel economy, hp and torque to where it is.

I'm 1300 miles into my FE and am coming from a two-door Bronco that just wasn't big enough for our family, and I couldn't be more pleased. I think the ride, tech, and motor all work really seamlessly together. The only bugs I've noticed are 1) the first up-shift in the morning from a cold start is a bit hard and 2) the break-bite others have described as I slow down from 25-15 mph, which also seems to be a cold start issue. Since getting past the break-in period, everything is really smooth once it warms up. The slight rumble where the gas engine kicks in from a standing start is minimal, and far less intrusive than nearly any other car I've driven with an idle cut-off. At low speeds around the city, the gas engine is far smoother than even my wife's BMW X5 PHEV when its running on gas at speeds below 30mph (nothing beats the smoothness of the BMW's electric motor when its battery is charged, and the way the X5's electric and gas motors complement each other definitely wins at highway speed, but that's to be expected and not an apples-to-apples comparison).

I've also figured out how to turn off the nanny features I find annoying while keeping the ones that are helpful for me. As my daily driver in the city, I've loved the cross-traffic and pedestrian warnings that have actually alerted me to vehicles/people I didn't see (a city problem - the visibility and relatively small blind spots on the Land Cruiser are a HUGE improvement over the Bronco). Even after I've beefed up the tires to E-rated 275/70/18s, I've been averaging about 19mpg, which I'm pretty happy with given the mostly urban environment I'm in during the weekdays.

I think perspective really matters here. I suspect that folks shopping for a cool-looking family car with the road manners of a cross-over SUV are going to be disappointed by the Land Cruiser. It's a body-on-frame truck with purpose built suspension, full time 4WD, and a lot of cheats to get the fuel economy, hp and torque to where it is.

I'm 1300 miles into my FE and am coming from a two-door Bronco that just wasn't big enough for our family, and I couldn't be more pleased. I think the ride, tech, and motor all work really seamlessly together. The only bugs I've noticed are 1) the first up-shift in the morning from a cold start is a bit hard and 2) the break-bite others have described as I slow down from 25-15 mph, which also seems to be a cold start issue. Since getting past the break-in period, everything is really smooth once it warms up. The slight rumble where the gas engine kicks in from a standing start is minimal, and far less intrusive than nearly any other car I've driven with an idle cut-off. At low speeds around the city, the gas engine is far smoother than even my wife's BMW X5 PHEV when its running on gas at speeds below 30mph (nothing beats the smoothness of the BMW's electric motor when its battery is charged, and the way the X5's electric and gas motors complement each other definitely wins at highway speed, but that's to be expected and not an apples-to-apples comparison).

I've also figured out how to turn off the nanny features I find annoying while keeping the ones that are helpful for me. As my daily driver in the city, I've loved the cross-traffic and pedestrian warnings that have actually alerted me to vehicles/people I didn't see (a city problem - the visibility and relatively small blind spots on the Land Cruiser are a HUGE improvement over the Bronco). Even after I've beefed up the tires to E-rated 275/70/18s, I've been averaging about 19mpg, which I'm pretty happy with given the mostly urban environment I'm in during the weekdays.

Absolutely. Definitely agree with you about pretty much all of this.

I guess I had mentally prepared myself for a ride that would be throwing me all over the place with every little bump. I drove it off the lot with the tires at 50psi because the dealer didn't correct the pressure from the factory. Even at 50 I thought it was fine for the most part. After getting them to 33, I really like how it drives.

So much of it is based on expectations and I know it's the cool little toy I just got, but I have yet to find anything that's really a major deal breaker or frustrating enough to deter others. Will see if that changes 6 months or a year down the line.

Absolutely. Definitely agree with you about pretty much all of this.

I guess I had mentally prepared myself for a ride that would be throwing me all over the place with every little bump. I drove it off the lot with the tires at 50psi because the dealer didn't correct the pressure from the factory. Even at 50 I thought it was fine for the most part. After getting them to 33, I really like how it drives.

So much of it is based on expectations and I know it's the cool little toy I just got, but I have yet to find anything that's really a major deal breaker or frustrating enough to deter others. Will see if that changes 6 months or a year down the line.
Didn’t the OP explained the original post was from an owner who came from 4-Runner? I would think 4Runner on-road drive would be very unrefined as well.

I think if he would’ve read those manuals, he would have solved 80% of the issues he had with the vehicle. I have no problem going channel to channel on SiriusXM by pressing and holding the next button on the steering wheel. As far as the dash brightness, on the left side of the steering wheel, just slide the roller off the indent. It sounds like he didn’t invest much time at all learning about the vehicle. Just saying.
To be fair - I agreed with him on the dash brightness. It was way too bright even with the settings turned to low. I was using night mode all the time. I will try the dash wheel but didn't think it impacted the main display just the drivers display.

Edit - That and a few other minor annoyances are my only complaints. So far I am happy with it.

Last edited:
I’m seeing two issues here: One, this guy will just be unhappy with any new car, these safety features are all mandatory now and hopefully for the trouble of needing to press a button to leave your garage, society will have fewer toddlers run over. I’m happy with that trade off.

Two, the 1958 trim is an enthusiast trim. It’s for people that want cloth seats. It’s not marketed as the volume Land Cruiser trim for a reason. If you want gimmicks and “luxury” finishes Toyota will be happy to sell you one of the thousand Highlanders they have on the lot.

I’m seeing two issues here: One, this guy will just be unhappy with any new car, these safety features are all mandatory now and hopefully for the trouble of needing to press a button to leave your garage, society will have fewer toddlers run over. I’m happy with that trade off.

Two, the 1958 trim is an enthusiast trim. It’s for people that want cloth seats. It’s not marketed as the volume Land Cruiser trim for a reason. If you want gimmicks and “luxury” finishes Toyota will be happy to sell you one of the thousand Highlanders they have on the lot.
I feel Sequoia is more heading towards that direction. Capable yet in the same time luxurious with many gimmicks. They just added message chair to the 25' model year. That used to be an exclusive feature for Lexus. and if it doesn't require premium gas I can see a true value there to offset its lower gas mileage. I was in a difficult debate myself between LC and Sequoia

For Highlander there are rumors that it could be discontinue and replacing it with grand highlander.

The guy bought the wrong trim to meet his wants. He was also unwilling to delve into the index of his owners manuals to discover how to use, adjust, turn off, or activate various features he found troublesome.

The LC 1958 trim was never going to be a good fit for him.

You have to be of a certain mindset and insecurity about brand names can't be a factor. The market for people willing to pay 60k or 70k for a Toyota SUV is small when you can easily get a GLE/X5/Q7 for the same money. The person willing to pay this much for a Toyota is very different from someone paying it for a "luxury" brand.

While you are right about mindsets and brand consciousness in your area of operations, fortunately that doesn’t apply everywhere because people in that mindset are miserable turds to be around in my experience. (I used to sell BMW’s)

Where I now live the nearest foreign luxury brand dealership is over 300 miles away. It is simply not practical to own a Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, JLR, or other even more exclusive brands as a regular use vehicle. You can’t get them serviced under warranty and if you need service prepare to be majorly inconvenienced.

Even if I wanted to buy one of the above common sense tells me it is a terrible idea. I found a 2022 M-B E450 wagon on vacation. Probably a superb family car, albeit a Mercedes which equals dumpster fire levels of reliability in the long term. Still tempted to buy it, but reality prevailed.

Unfortunately $70K doesn’t really get a person much vehicle these days. Most 1/2 ton pickup trucks can easily exceed that with options, 3/4 ton and larger diesel trucks are easy to get to an MSRP of $100K. It’s insanity.

Two, the 1958 trim is an enthusiast trim. It’s for people that want cloth seats.
Bingo. It also seems that tire-kickers, as well as certain resident posters in these parts, are willfully ignorant that many of us plan to mod the snot outta these trucks. Why buy the top trim when i’m going to put in Kings, custom sliders, skids, bumpers, Katzkins, custom sound, ect…

It was the same shit with the Z51 crowd on the vette forums. ‘You bought a base when you could’ve spent a few $thousand more for the z51 trim’ … right, but i’m putting on wilwoods, coil-overs, regearing, LT headers, borla straight pipes, ect…

Rinse and repeat on the taco forums, jeep forums, ect…

I still have high hopes that this ends up being an enthusiast forum and not a wail-fest for cast-offs from the euro brands and trim lvl douches; time will tell i suppose

Didn’t the OP explained the original post was from an owner who came from 4-Runner? I would think 4Runner on-road drive would be very unrefined as well.
The on road drive of my 2020 4Runner ORP with KDSS was superior (I think) to my 2024 LC Premium. New tires will tell the story for sure after I replace the stock Dunlops. The ride quality of my LC is decent, but just not as good as the 4RUnner.

Reactions: DGK
Bingo. It also seems that tire-kickers, as well as certain resident posters in these parts, are willfully ignorant that many of us plan to mod the snot outta these trucks. Why buy the top trim when i’m going to put in Kings, custom sliders, skids, bumpers, Katzkins, custom sound, ect…

It was the same shit with the Z51 crowd on the vette forums. ‘You bought a base when you could’ve spent a few $thousand more for the z51 trim’ … right, but i’m putting on wilwoods, coil-overs, regearing, LT headers, borla straight pipes, ect…

Rinse and repeat on the taco forums, jeep forums, ect…

I still have high hopes that this ends up being an enthusiast forum and not a wail-fest for cast-offs from the euro brands and trim lvl douches; time will tell i suppose

Correct.

The only two items that Toyota should have 1000% put on the 1958 are the sway bar disconnect and the larger screen. At least as options, because even the buyers who will mod it will still find those two things useful.

I tired to find the guy of FB, just to see what he was all about, and couldn’t.

The on road drive of my 2020 4Runner ORP with KDSS was superior (I think) to my 2024 LC Premium. New tires will tell the story for sure after I replace the stock Dunlops. The ride quality of my LC is decent, but just not as good as the 4RUnner.
It might be just some tuning of the suspension to address that, but might comes with a cost of offroad comfortability.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 10.26.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 10.26.57 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 25
Back