Quality Control Delays!!

I’ve got deposits at two different dealerships, in two different states for Heritage Blue, Land Cruiser trim level, premium package with 20” wheels.

Got a call from both dealerships stating my VIN was “randomly” selected for quality control.

Coincidence? I will not be playing the lottery today…

73766178294__42B73D17-7669-4D9C-8EDF-D1C634D9F984.jpeg

Hi! Former Sales Manager here. Unless something has changed since my departure two months ago, this is a clerical move within the dealer portal and doesn’t imply anything about the QC process advancing.
Thanks for clarifying. I reread the post and I missed that his vehicle had shipped earlier. Thought it had shipped out recently.

I wrote a pretty lengthy email to brand engagement. They talked around the issue and stated the dealerships know the latest on the QC hold and they were sorry for the inconvenience. No real answers but, here's an offer of $750 if you follow through with your purchase. Not a satisfactory outcome from the PR department of Toyota.

I wrote a pretty lengthy email to brand engagement. They talked around the issue and stated the dealerships know the latest on the QC hold and they were sorry for the inconvenience. No real answers but, here's an offer of $750 if you follow through with your purchase. Not a satisfactory outcome from the PR department of Toyota.
A $750 discount on a Land Cruiser is not chump change, did they give you some QR code or something else?

I am stunned by this outcome. Nice work!

Why would the call center know anything about the production and hold status of a car you haven’t purchased yet? Once the car gets to the port, the distributor is who would have that info, not Toyota.
Even then, they won’t know who the car is reserved for, that’s all done at the dealer level.

Getting $750 off is a GREAT resolution, not sure why you’re unhappy that someone didn’t give you information they had no way of knowing.

Why would the call center know anything about the production and hold status of a car you haven’t purchased yet? Once the car gets to the port, the distributor is who would have that info, not Toyota.
Even then, they won’t know who the car is reserved for, that’s all done at the dealer level.

Getting $750 off is a GREAT resolution, not sure why you’re unhappy that someone didn’t give you information they had no way of knowing.
I wanted them to put out what the delays are, not shuffle amoung various excuses for the hold. When the dealerships don't even know the real story, it's a brand problem, and it was not the call center.

View attachment 2674
Just wanted to share that someone with a LC w/ Premium Package took delivery in Idaho this weekend. Maybe a sign that some will get released from the QC Hold soon?

Owner said in the comments on Facebook that it was on hold for 1 week then got released and showed up at the dealer!
My Puget Sound dealer said that the FE was being held in Portland for installation of the skid plate. I admit that excuse didn't make much sense to me. However, I saw a photo on this site of a FE on the dock in Portland without the roof rack installed, so I now accept it as true that some of the options are installed after the trucks are unloaded from the ship. A strange way to do business. And are they so shorthanded that the trucks are held up for a month to do minor installations?

I wanted them to put out what the delays are, not shuffle amoung various excuses for the hold. When the dealerships don't even know the real story, it's a brand problem, and it was not the call center.

Speaking as a Toyota corp employee, any interaction with the brand engagement center(whether via call or email) is a call center. The majority of the people working with the BEC are contracted through a third party, not Toyota employees. They have scripts to follow to get you to the correct team or information, but they don’t have any info on delays to production or production status.

Speaking as a Toyota corp employee, any interaction with the brand engagement center(whether via call or email) is a call center. The majority of the people working with the BEC are contracted through a third party, not Toyota employees. They have scripts to follow to get you to the correct team or information, but they don’t have any info on delays to production or production status.
Disappointing to hear they farm that out but sounds like an opportunity, So its a pretty easy $750 if you type the right stuff then I take it?

Disappointing to hear they farm that out but sounds like an opportunity, So its a pretty easy $750 if you type the right stuff then I take it?
No idea how hard it might be. @Frustrated in VA might be able to give us some insight into what he wrote, maybe we can all get some cash back after buying our land cruisers!

As for the call center stuff, there’s maybe a handful of large companies that keep call center operations in house. It just gets way too expensive.

It sounds like I can try to get myself a cool $750 if I just type up an email 🤣

Do you have a contact? Would be worth the correspondence for $750. Feel free to pm.

I would hope that when this entire debacle is over and done with, Toyota would offer all of us who purchase a new LC that was held up at Port some kind of cash reduction. On this vehicle, not on some future vehicle. Many of us have been significantly inconvenienced by this delay. We sold one of our cars expecting to have our LC FE by early May. Now, we just get by with one car. I owned a LC for 15 years, and have bought other new Toyota cars in the past. Our family has 3 right now. I expect Toyota to do the right thing; for all of us who are living with their lack of planning.

I guarantee this is it: Japan's auto-testing scandal deepens, resulting in some shipment halts

Huge scandal in Japan right now and many heads will roll. The LC isn’t listed, but give. The QC obfuscation we are all encountering, this is the culprit.
Not so sure about that, it wouldn't explain why the 1958 trim doesn't have the QC hold. My sales guy sent me screenshots showing their 1958 allocations not on hold, but the rest are. However the dealership explanation of a sunroof issue does line up with all the LC premium and FE holds.

I would hope that when this entire debacle is over and done with, Toyota would offer all of us who purchase a new LC that was held up at Port some kind of cash reduction. On this vehicle, not on some future vehicle. Many of us have been significantly inconvenienced by this delay. We sold one of our cars expecting to have our LC FE by early May. Now, we just get by with one car. I owned a LC for 15 years, and have bought other new Toyota cars in the past. Our family has 3 right now. I expect Toyota to do the right thing; for all of us who are living with their lack of planning.
Couldn’t echo this anymore or say it differently. My dealer assured me 5/17 was the absolute latest date they would have the LC as it arrived at port on 4/22. I sold my vehicle the first week of May as I had a business trip and expected to pick it up after I got back.

Here we are and I just rented a car for two weeks as the logistics of two working parents and school age kids running in different directions finally broke us. 😭

I just fired off a long email (3rd one) to Brand Engagement expressing frustration at this experience.

I realize nothing is certain and these things can happen, but Toyota intentionally keeping dealers in the dark, and conversely customers paying a lot of money for their flagship vehicle, both leave a pretty sour taste in your mouth. I’ve purchased several Toyotas in the past and I’ve never had such a poor experience.

I have owned 9 Lexus or Toyotas over the past 30 years including a 99 LC 100 and a 16 LX 570. Bought half new and half lightly used. My current FE is on hold in Portland. I have never had an experience anything like this with Toyota or Lexus in the past. What I object to is Toyota’s utter disregard, disorganization, and disrespect in delivering these trucks. I’m told by the dealer that the skid plates are installed in Portland and there are none to be installed! Toyota itself thinks it can ghost us by saying nothing official about the holds. My dealer tells me there is no end in sight. The dealer can’t promise me the truck that is sitting in Portland right now will even arrive in Puget Sound in 2 months! This may be my last Toyota if it ever shows up. Shame on Toyota management.

Not so sure about that, it wouldn't explain why the 1958 trim doesn't have the QC hold. My sales guy sent me screenshots showing their 1958 allocations not on hold, but the rest are. However the dealership explanation of a sunroof issue does line up with all the LC premium and FE holds.
Agree… was texted about a 1958 that was available for purchase in Southern California this morning. Sales guy said LC trim and FEs are hold, but 1958 are free to be sold. Has to be the sunroof

Another reason to keep it simple when you deal with off-road vehicles :rolleyes:

Back