LC Mid-Tier Trim - Premium or No Premium Package?

We struggled with the same decision and spent a lot of time thinking through each option. Many of the other extras with the “premium package” we have on other cars and i like them a lot. But the deal breaker for me was the cooler. I did not want to sacrifice critical storage for something that only cools four drinks. If i need a cooler i bring a cooler. In the winter it would have no value. I have seen others on this forum exploring how to remove it. Our sales guy said that is not something they can do. So we are happily picking up our LC we ordered w/o premium this week. Meteor shower…
Does anyone know what the internal dimensions are of the cool box versus just a plain old center console? If the dimensions are very similar, just turn the cool box off and use it as a regular center console storage. Let’s not complicate this.

Does anyone know what the internal dimensions are of the cool box versus just a plain old center console? If the dimensions are very similar, just turn the cool box off and use it as a regular center console storage. Let’s not complicate this.
It's at least an inch or two narrower (frt to back), but for now it's just a storage container.

We struggled with the same decision and spent a lot of time thinking through each option. Many of the other extras with the “premium package” we have on other cars and i like them a lot. But the deal breaker for me was the cooler. I did not want to sacrifice critical storage for something that only cools four drinks. If i need a cooler i bring a cooler. In the winter it would have no value. I have seen others on this forum exploring how to remove it. Our sales guy said that is not something they can do. So we are happily picking up our LC we ordered w/o premium this week. Meteor shower…
Hey, it holds 6 drinks.

Attachments

• PXL_20240805_185337634.jpg
    PXL_20240805_185337634.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 60
Just to follow up, I did decide on doing the more expensive LC w/ premium package. Java Leather was worth waiting for (makes the LC feel a lot more premium in my eyes)

Honest thoughts:
+Biggest upgrade is the Traffic Jam Assist, wow does it work well. Helped in a 2 hour backup the other day on I-95 big time
+The cool box "fridge" is the thing friends & family are most shocked/impressed by, it is really useful to have this and trade some space for it, good for 7-11 slurpees lol
+Leather seats feel great, still getting used to them. I had some pain in my lower back but realized the seat is correcting my tendency to slump, after 1,500 miles seats feel much more comfortable after a long break-in
-JBL Audio is underwhelming, don't upgrade to the Premium Package if this is what you care for. After tuning it for weeks, still can't get a rich sound out of it. I honestly think my Premium Sound package (non-JBL) from the 4Runner is better overall
+Digital Mirror is HANDY, had a packed truck with 3 passengers in the rear, popped on the digital feed & helped so much
-Digital Key is a joke, incredibly unreliable, use the key fob at all times. I've got an iPhone 15 & the car is inconsistent with recognizing my phone. Toyota's app is also really bad.
+Shockingly the wireless charger is really good, my phone doesn't go flying all over the place on twisty roads, stays in place (and I have a caseless phone)
+Moonroof is nice, but I do keep the shade closed more often than not, didn't need this

Just to follow up, I did decide on doing the more expensive LC w/ premium package. Java Leather was worth waiting for (makes the LC feel a lot more premium in my eyes)

Honest thoughts:
+Biggest upgrade is the Traffic Jam Assist, wow does it work well. Helped in a 2 hour backup the other day on I-95 big time
+The cool box "fridge" is the thing friends & family are most shocked/impressed by, it is really useful to have this and trade some space for it, good for 7-11 slurpees lol
+Leather seats feel great, still getting used to them. I had some pain in my lower back but realized the seat is correcting my tendency to slump, after 1,500 miles seats feel much more comfortable after a long break-in
-JBL Audio is underwhelming, don't upgrade to the Premium Package if this is what you care for. After tuning it for weeks, still can't get a rich sound out of it. I honestly think my Premium Sound package (non-JBL) from the 4Runner is better overall
+Digital Mirror is HANDY, had a packed truck with 3 passengers in the rear, popped on the digital feed & helped so much
-Digital Key is a joke, incredibly unreliable, use the key fob at all times. I've got an iPhone 15 & the car is inconsistent with recognizing my phone. Toyota's app is also really bad.
+Shockingly the wireless charger is really good, my phone doesn't go flying all over the place on twisty roads, stays in place (and I have a caseless phone)
+Moonroof is nice, but I do keep the shade closed more often than not, didn't need this
Did a test drive yesterday on a LLC with premium. In addition to what you said the heads up display and the 360 camera are big improvements. The leather seats are not fully black but rather a dark grey. I hate fully black leather seats but these are nice. The cooler is about half the size of the normal compartment so this is a big loss of space in a car that doesn’t have much storage in the front. I’m still deciding what I want but the premium package looks attractive to me.

I bought LC trim without the premium package. I thought that particular model provided the most amount of features and comfort I wanted at a price point I found palatable. The only premium features I personally would have wanted were the upgraded audio system and the memory seats.

First thing I'm gonna do is pull the fuse for the coolbox (hopefully this will work, and it won't affect air conditioner operation).

I was very happy I made the decision to go with the Land Cruiser, Land Cruiser premium model. Basically gave me almost everything The “first edition” has with only a small handful of exceptions that didn’t really matter to me and, the premium version still saves about five or $6000 off of the cost of the “1st edition”. Good luck!

I bought LC trim without the premium package. I thought that particular model provided the most amount of features and comfort I wanted at a price point I found palatable. The only premium features I personally would have wanted were the upgraded audio system and the memory seats.
You are not missing much as far as the upgraded audio. One reason I went premium was to be sure I got the best audio. It's quality is what I would expect in a $35K RAV4.

It's odd that Toyota would spend so much on electronics in the premium yet have such a cheap audio system. I'm also part of the hate the console cooler club here. Although if beers while driving was a thing it would be an excellent idea.

On the flip side I'm enjoying the moon roof which I would never pay for if optioned.

Reactions: fhb
You are not missing much as far as the upgraded audio. One reason I went premium was to be sure I got the best audio. It's quality is what I would expect in a $35K RAV4.

It's odd that Toyota would spend so much on electronics in the premium yet have such a cheap audio system. I'm also part of the hate the console cooler club here. Although if beers while driving was a thing it would be an excellent idea.

On the flip side I'm enjoying the moon roof which I would never pay for if optioned.
I had a JBL "premium" system in a Touring Hybrid RAV4. It was terrible to put it mildly. Was hoping the LC JBL system would be better. The OEM Bose systems in my CRVs are much better.

Reactions: Don
I had a JBL "premium" system in a Touring Hybrid RAV4. It was terrible to put it mildly. Was hoping the LC JBL system would be better. The OEM Bose systems in my CRVs are much better.
My guess is the the Toyota engineers can show a flatter frequency response with premium audio compared to the base system. So it's "premium". But the most liked better car audio systems have user controllable surround processing. Toyota doesn't seem to do that, although they may process true Atmos tracks.

Honest thoughts:
Interesting about the stereo. I have it and think it sounds great.

My guess is the the Toyota engineers can show a flatter frequency response with premium audio compared to the base system. So it's "premium". But the most liked better car audio systems have user controllable surround processing. Toyota doesn't seem to do that, although they may process true Atmos tracks.
The non-premium LC trim audio is actually decently flat as-is. I've been generally pretty pleased with it. The mids have nice punch, the bass response of the front speakers is actually pretty great. The highs are a little muddy and somewhat harsh. All this talk of subwoofers and I'm here thinking about if i can upgrade the tweeters! I EQ'd just mid and treble +1, bass left at 0.

But just like talking MPG, there is so much context missing when talking about sound systems when someone says "GOOD" or "BAD". For example - I mostly listen to indie rock, with some folksy bluegrass and heavier rock mixed in. Also some podcasts. I do not feel the need for any additional bass response with the LC non-premium system. EQ set as mentioned.

Honest thoughts:
I concur about the digital key. Pure vapor ware. Toyota should hire some techies to bring infotainment up to speed. Interior design needs some human factors engineers.

Hey, it holds 6 drinks.

How many holstered pistols and pistol magazines does it hold?

Center consoles are for blaster storage on long highway slogs when you don’t want your EDC digging in to you or the seats or (more often than not) both.

Hate leather, no matter how well you take care of it, it shows wear in no time.
Skipped the premium package to stick with softtex. Minimal care and this stuff stays looking new for a long time.

Agreed. My mom has softtex in her Lexus RX350 I like it a lot more than leather, it doesn’t seem to get hot in the summer and it’s held up well for her so far.

Toyota’s packaging of the Land Cruiser (and most of their other products) is frustrating. The only options I would want on the LC trim that aren’t standard equipment for that trim are heads up display, and JBL audio. I rarely use sunroofs, have no use for a coolbox, and prefer the softtex over leather.

Furthermore if I’m king of Toyota for a week I would also offer proper all terrain tires as an option, along with the option to get the V35A-FTS twin turbo V6/10 speed, larger fuel tank, and a 3rd row seat.

Back