LC Mid-Tier Trim - Premium or No Premium Package?

I got the non-premium LC and it was undoubtedly the best choice for me.

Pros:
Softex instead of leather (I like leather but it's not as durable)
Running Boards (much better foothold than rock rails)
Didn't pay for things I never use (sunroof, digital rearview mirror, nanny cam on steering wheel, giant roof rack, rock rails, etc.)
Didn't pay for things of little or no value to me (cool box, JBL, heads-up display)

Cons:
I'd really like memory seats.

A good friend has the FE and it is a beauty. He likes all that extra stuff and I'm glad for him. But I love my LCLC both for the cool features it has and for the (unnecessary) features it lacks. It's the right car for me. And it doesn't hurt that it looks so rugged and bad-ass.

Last edited:
Furthermore if I’m king of Toyota for a week I would also offer proper all terrain tires as an option, along with the option to get the V35A-FTS twin turbo V6/10 speed, larger fuel tank, and a 3rd row seat.
If I were king of Toyota, I'd find a way to shorten the engine compartment a few inches and add that extra space to the cargo area. While I was at it, I'd add a larger fuel tank, a dashboard shelf and a few cubbies in the front seating area.

But you can't become a member of the exclusive "I hate the coolbox" clique without the premium package.

We're a cranky group as we spent $70K yet have no place to put our sunglasses.

I initially thought the HUD projector depression on the dash was a thoughtful included storage area. Silly me for expecting Toyota to consider that drivers have a few things they would like store immediately at hand.

In spite I've decided to store salami in the coolbox as it's one of the few things not explicitly prohibited.

I got the non-premium LC and it was undoubtedly the best choice for me.

Pros:
Softex instead of leather (I like leather but it's not as durable)
Running Boards (much better foothold than rock rails)
Didn't pay for things I never use (sunroof, digital rearview mirror, nanny cam on steering wheel, giant roof rack, rock rails, etc.)
Didn't pay for things of little or no value to me (cool box, JBL, heads-up display)

Cons:
I'd really like memory seats.

A good friend has the FE and it is a beauty. He likes all that extra stuff and I'm glad for him. But I love my LCLC both for the cool features it has and for the (unnecessary) features it lacks. It's the right car for me. And it doesn't hurt that it looks so rugged and bad-ass.
I thought that the non-premium LC had memory seats. Is that not true? Are they only with the Premium LC?

I have the non-premium LC. No memory seats. That would have been nice, along with the wireless charger.

I'm having a tough time deciding whether to go with the Land Cruiser "Land Cruiser" with the premium package or without.

So first disclaimer, I have two deposits down at two different dealers far away from each other on the east coast. Both are LC Mid-Tier Trims in Heritage Blue but have different interior/exterior differences as shown below:

1st Deposit: w/ Premium Package - Heritage Blue & Java Brown Leather Interior

Port/Factory Options
20-inch Alloy Wheels - $1,240
Premium Package - $4,600
Special Color - $350
Door Edge Film - $95
Connected Service 3 years - $325
Roof Crossbars - $560

Dealer is offering MSRP price + $599 processing fee for $70,980 (not including tax/title)

ETA: 56 Day Hold - Unknown / Maybe July 12-19th?

2nd Deposit: w/o Premium Package - Heritage Blue & Black Softex Interior

Port/Factory Options
Illuminated Door Sills - $469
All Weather Cargo Mat - $229
Paint Protection (Hood/Mirrors/All Doors) - $800
TOYOGUARD Extented Maintenance Plan (after ToyotaCare) - $699

Dealer is offering MSRP price + $825 Window Tint/Interior Spray + $699 processing fee for $67,433 (not including tax/title)

ETA: No QC Hold - July 2nd (confirmed, getting on truck this week)

As it stands, I'd be saving $3,547 with current negotiated terms. However, if I were to go with the cheaper non-premium model, I would do some last minute negotiations with the dealer, get them to drop the $825 window tint crap, and swap the TOYOGuard BS for $600 crossbars instead (seems like a fair thing for a in-demand new truck), so my price target would then be $66,508 before tax/fees or a $4,472 difference.

The big difference right now between the two is one is on a QC Hold, and one is not because the Non-Premium model doesn't have a sunroof. As someone who's been waiting 3 months already since putting my initial deposit down, this is tempting.

They're both identical outside except the wheels. I prefer the 18-inch wheels over the 20 inch, so that's saving me at least another 1k if I were go find some others and swap them. Interior wise, the biggest difference with the cheaper LC is no Java Brown Leather (which I really want), no traffic jam assist (would be nice/not a deal breaker), no sunroof (meh), and no 14 speaker JBL system (would be cool). The rest of the premium package is just fluff to me that I don't care about.

I keep asking myself if I want to save some money, lose out on the brown interior, and get an LC sooner. I should also note the LC w/ premium package requires a one-way flight for pickup where as the LC w/o premium is somewhat local and drivable. Basically another cost savings with the LC no premium.

For the money, the premium package gives you a lot of bang for your buck... Many of the features you may/may not use, but I think the $4,472 extra is going to be worth it in the long run...

For the money, the premium package gives you a lot of bang for your buck... Many of the features you may/may not use, but I think the $4,472 extra is going to be worth it in the long run...
I think that’s pretty subjective. The biggest thing is leather, which I know for many folks, provides considerable value. If you don’t want leather on the other hand, the premium package becomes much harder to justify if you break down the features one by one.

But I’m just frugal as well. I see an opportunity to save $4000 and I think “that’s a new bike! I think I’d rather a new bike instead!”

I think that’s pretty subjective. The biggest thing is leather, which I know for many folks, provides considerable value. If you don’t want leather on the other hand, the premium package becomes much harder to justify if you break down the features one by one.

But I’m just frugal as well. I see an opportunity to save $4000 and I think “that’s a new bike! I think I’d rather a new bike instead!”

Compare the Land Cruiser to a Jeep Wrangler, it's like going from a Sport to a Rubicon for under $5,000...
Going from a Wrangler Sport to a Wrangler Rubicon will cost you $10-15,000
The skid plates, leather, larger/better screen w/features, better off-roading capabilities, etc. would cost you far more than $4,000 to do yourself.

I'm in the Premium boat. My last 3 vehicles have had memory seats and moonroof. I love both, not doing without. These are things that are harder to mod out, and to me worth the time/money spent. The rails, eh, subjective, just like tires. ;)

Compare the Land Cruiser to a Jeep Wrangler, it's like going from a Sport to a Rubicon for under $5,000...
Going from a Wrangler Sport to a Wrangler Rubicon will cost you $10-15,000
The skid plates, leather, larger/better screen w/features, better off-roading capabilities, etc. would cost you far more than $4,000 to do yourself.
The "Premium package" doesn't give you any of those upgrades aside from leather, when compared to the LC trim without the premium package.. This would be more appropriate when comparing the 1958 Edition to the First Edition, but that's a whole lot more than $4000.

Premium Package $4600:
  • 14-speaker JBL® * Premium Audio,
  • illuminated entry,
  • Digital Key * capability,
  • power moonroof w/power sunshade, ($850 option on non-premium)
  • center console cool box,
  • digital rearview mirror,
  • Qi-compatible wireless charging, *
  • leather-trimmed memory/power driver's seat,
  • Head-Up Display (HUD),
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA), *
  • Front Cross-Traffic Alert (FCTA), *
  • Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) *
  • (requires Drive Connect * trial/subscription; 1-year trial included. *) 4G network dependent.

I'm not trying to say it isn't worth it for many people. Leather/memory seats + upgraded audio + included moonroof is a very valid reason if those are important to you. But if they aren't, the other stuff does not make up for it.

The "Premium package" doesn't give you any of those upgrades aside from leather, when compared to the LC trim without the premium package.. This would be more appropriate when comparing the 1958 Edition to the First Edition, but that's a whole lot more than $4000.

Premium Package $4600:
  • illuminated entry,
  • Head-Up Display (HUD),
  • (requires Drive Connect * trial/subscription; 1-year trial included. *) 4G network dependent.

I'm not trying to say it isn't worth it for many people. Leather/memory seats + upgraded audio + included moonroof is a very valid reason if those are important to you. But if they aren't, the other stuff does not make up for it.

Coming from 1 Rubicon with no advanced safety features, and 1 with those features, I would definitely go for the upgraded safety features if I had to do it over again.

I went premium LC in trail dust and love it. Just for the fact of financing the extra 4-6k over the life of a 6yr loan made it worth it! If the rig in the pics looks dirty I’m still waiting on the ceramic coat to cure completely 🤙🏼
IMG_1041.jpeg
IMG_1034.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: MJE

Premium Package $4600:
  • illuminated entry,
  • Head-Up Display (HUD),

Interesting. So no RADAR in non-premium? Or maybe just front RADAR in non-premium?

I've seen some premium owners talk about replacing the rear bumper. I'm not sure that they realize that there are two sensor types in the bumper.

If I get to the point where Premium is too mod limiting I will sell and buy a 1958

Round dot sensors in the rear bumper are parking sensors, easily put in a new bumper. What's not so easy is putting in the Blind Spot Monitor sensors as they will not work through steel. In my Taco when I put on an after market bumper, I cut out the backup lights in the tail lights and mounted the BSM sensors there. They work very well and you can't tell they are there unless you look directly at them and realize there is black instead of chrome.

As small and dumb as it seems, the digital rear view is a killer upgrade. After having one in the RAV4 for years, I don't think I'd get another station wagon type vehicle without it. Being able load the cargo area to the ceiling and still have rear view visibility is amazing. Plus the view is significantly wider than a normal mirror could produce which lets me push the comically small side view mirrors way out to let me see beside the truck.

Leather definitely has a better feel than the Softex. But the real diff for me is the memory seats and power passenger seat only with the premium pkg. Premies have power 6-way while the non-Premie only has manual 6-way. My only aggravation is having to pay for 20" wheels when I would prefer 18" wheels. But for on-road driving the 20" wheels seem to handle curves better without squealing as much as the 18". So there's that. But worried they will get worse MPG and less rubber for offroad trails.

We struggled with the same decision and spent a lot of time thinking through each option. Many of the other extras with the “premium package” we have on other cars and i like them a lot. But the deal breaker for me was the cooler. I did not want to sacrifice critical storage for something that only cools four drinks. If i need a cooler i bring a cooler. In the winter it would have no value. I have seen others on this forum exploring how to remove it. Our sales guy said that is not something they can do. So we are happily picking up our LC we ordered w/o premium this week. Meteor shower…
Hope I see you around; I’m in the 80108 myself.

Back