Hearing a rattle noise at low gear acceleration.

So I met up with a fellow LC250 owner today who has a Land Cruiser Land Cruiser. It was 100 degrees outside and he just drove an hour to meet up. I took his LC250 for a drive to see if i heard the noise and NOTHING. Engine sounded smooth with no rattle and began to worry more that my car has a defect. He, the other LC250 owner, thought that it was because his engine and fluids were already hot. So then I drove my 1958 shortly after. Mine was sitting in the 100 degree heat but not driven for a few hours..... no rattle! or at least it was very minimal where I really had to stick my head out the window to maybe hear a tiny bit.

For those who have heard a rattle. Give it another sound check after the engine and all the inners are nice and hot.

I got to retune my ears to new vehicle, only had mine for 3 days and I can’t tell if it’s loud or not. My other 2 are a ‘97 80 series and a ‘81 fj43, got used to that “noise”

So I met up with a fellow LC250 owner today who has a Land Cruiser Land Cruiser. It was 100 degrees outside and he just drove an hour to meet up. I took his LC250 for a drive to see if i heard the noise and NOTHING. Engine sounded smooth with no rattle and began to worry more that my car has a defect. He, the other LC250 owner, thought that it was because his engine and fluids were already hot. So then I drove my 1958 shortly after. Mine was sitting in the 100 degree heat but not driven for a few hours..... no rattle! or at least it was very minimal where I really had to stick my head out the window to maybe hear a tiny bit.

For those who have heard a rattle. Give it another sound check after the engine and all the inners are nice and hot.
YES indeed my experience is the noise is much more noticeable right after the engine has been warm for about five minutes (then after driving for about 15 minutes it lessens) - also, much more noticeable under light acceleration (if you accelerate quickly it will minimize the rattle noise). I think it might also be louder when driving on an incline when the drivetrain is under more load.

The comments that it sounds like a diesel are true but this rattle is not normal or acceptable in my option- I would really like to know what I'm hearing. I'm fine with all different noises a hybrid makes and the feel of the transitions from battery to ice and turbo but this rattle is a totally separate issue.

YES indeed my experience is the noise is much more noticeable right after the engine has been warm for about five minutes (then after driving for about 15 minutes it lessens) - also, much more noticeable under light acceleration (if you accelerate quickly it will minimize the rattle noise). I think it might also be louder when driving on an incline when the drivetrain is under more load.

The comments that it sounds like a diesel are true but this rattle is not normal or acceptable in my option- I would really like to know what I'm hearing. I'm fine with all different noises a hybrid makes and the feel of the transitions from battery to ice and turbo but this rattle is a totally separate issue.
Have you monitored the turbo gauge when this noise is present? It kind of sounds like turbo boost is being vented from the blow-off valve.

I was picking someone up at LAX and had to sit through a half mile of bumper to bumper traffic for 30 minutes. Holding the brake, not moving - I heard a consistent rattling, it was very loud and annoying from the cabin. Sounds like its on the passenger side, in front of the glovebox.

Everytime I lifted my foot off of the brake and started rolling, it stopped. I shifted to neutral/park - it stopped.

It comes back every once in a while, but seems to be a bit softened?

I was picking someone up at LAX and had to sit through a half mile of bumper to bumper traffic for 30 minutes. Holding the brake, not moving - I heard a consistent rattling, it was very loud and annoying from the cabin. Sounds like its on the passenger side, in front of the glovebox.

Everytime I lifted my foot off of the brake and started rolling, it stopped. I shifted to neutral/park - it stopped.

It comes back every once in a while, but seems to be a bit softened?
I dont think I have that

It comes back every once in a while, but seems to be a bit soften
Mine is coming from the same place and its intermittent. Seems to be worse when engine is under load 1500-2000 rpm and when travelling up hill. Hard to explain. It sounds like a heat shield on the exhaust that is making contact somewhere. I have a good recording but when uploading it gets degraded and cant hear it good. I have a feeling many of us are describing the same noise, and we should be able to find the source.

Mine is coming from the same place and its intermittent. Seems to be worse when engine is under load 1500-2000 rpm and when travelling up hill. Hard to explain. It sounds like a heat shield on the exhaust that is making contact somewhere. I have a good recording but when uploading it gets degraded and cant hear it good. I have a feeling many of us are describing the same noise, and we should be able to find the source.
Would you describe this as engine ping/knock while under load? If so do you use premium fuel or regular octane?

Would you describe this as engine ping/knock while under load? If so do you use premium fuel or regular octane?
Hard to tell.. but I don’t think so. More like a piece of thin heat shield vibrating metal on metal. It’s only happening under certain conditions 1500-2000 rpm under load and not all the time. Also it’s difficult to locate or track down because of the sound isolation. Once it comes through to the cabin with all windows closed it sounds like rattle deep in the dash. Front passenger side.

I had a very similar sound on another vehicle and it was a loose exhaust hanger bolt.

All - This is the same rattle/sound being discussed in this thread:
Thread 'The hybrid that can't...'
The hybrid that can't...

I have the same sound on mine and yes, it’s more noticeable when the engine isn’t fully warmed up, light acceleration, and on an incline.

The person who started that other thread took it into his dealership and they tore apart his engine and never gave him a final reason for the noise and ended up buying back his LC from him….and most likely made him sign an NDA. So we’ll probably not get a clear answer from that person.

However, I would be curious if more of us took our cars into our dealerships and logged cases if this might become a recall.

It definitely isn’t something that sounds normal or should be acceptable on this expensive of a vehicle.

I’m going to tell my dealership when I take it in for 5k service.

The hybrid that can't...

I have the same sound on mine and yes, it’s more noticeable when the engine isn’t fully warmed up, light acceleration, and on an incline.

The person who started that other thread took it into his dealership and they tore apart his engine and never gave him a final reason for the noise and ended up buying back his LC from him….and most likely made him sign an NDA. So we’ll probably not get a clear answer from that person.

However, I would be curious if more of us took our cars into our dealerships and logged cases if this might become a recall.

It definitely isn’t something that sounds normal or should be acceptable on this expensive of a vehicle.

Why not take it in sooner?

here is what mine sounds like. Dunno if this is "normal" or not. Is this what you are hearing? youtube - 2024 LC rattle noise
Would have never noticed either till I rolled my windows down and I am hearing the exact same thing. Only on acceleration and below 20 mph that it is happening. Hopefully we get an answer for this soon!

here is what mine sounds like. Dunno if this is "normal" or not. Is this what you are hearing? youtube - 2024 LC rattle noise
I can confirm I have this same sound. It is exact. It did not start out this loud and has gotten worse over the first 2000 miles. I don’t think it is internally in the engine. But I really don’t know. I did make a couple of videos; will edit and post.

This is not normal, if anyone finds the source please post. Like many others on this forum I really like this vehicle and bought a Toyota to avoid crap like this… hopefully it is an easy fix.

Last edited:
The hybrid that can't...

The original thread's topic was completely different than this, we're discussing rattling noises when driving - while that thread was started because upon cold start and revving his engine while in neutral - the engine shook/rattled. Toyota bought his back, scan that entire thread - there's a video he uploaded to youtube

The original thread's topic was completely different than this, we're discussing rattling noises when driving - while that thread was started because upon cold start and revving his engine while in neutral - the engine shook/rattled. Toyota bought his back, scan that entire thread - there's a video he uploaded to youtube
Agree. This rattle does not happen in neutral or on idle/cold start. I was speaking with a friend the other day, and he had brand new GMC Arcadia that had a exhaust manifold heat shield that would flex into frame and rattle. This would happen under load when the engine would shift the most. This was fixed by the dealer with a new heat shield or they trimmed it.

I have had a rod bearing failure in a BMW, that will make noise on start up and any rpm… this is completely different.

We have good video/audio evidence, I am confident we will find it. Also this seems to be common if we are all getting the same sound.

Last edited:
Back