The hybrid that can't...

I’m gonna monitor this thread and wait to take it into my Toyota dealership till we know a little more and/or I take it in for my 5,000 mile oil change.
IIRC, Toyota doesn’t change the oil at 5,000 miles. They just rotate the tires, check fluid levels, and inspect a few things.

YRMV

Now that I’ve noticed this noise I’m now paying closer attention to it.

I noticed today that it didn’t make the sound when going downhill or on flat roads. BUT when I go up the hill to get to my house I hear it.

Has anyone else noticed that they only hear the sound when going uphill?

From the video it sounds exactly like the waste gate noise that Ford Ecoboost engines make, until the waste gate warms up it rattles a bit. Any evidence to dispute this?

From the video it sounds exactly like the waste gate noise that Ford Ecoboost engines make, until the waste gate warms up it rattles a bit. Any evidence to dispute this?
That was my initial thought. I hear it then it goes away. Gotten used to it on my Ford.

When people make statements about their trucks make certain noises and they are concerned when they don’t hear things or “as long as the LC starts when I push the button”. Makes it seem like I’m trying to make something out of nothing. That’s all. Comes off weird. Maybe everyone has the best intentions. 🙂
Feel for you my friend. But in all fairness it is way more weird IMO that a dealer takes apart an engine for no other reason than an odd noise that most of the other new fleet makes with no signs of distress. I hope you get a fantastic resolution to the problem.

Jeeze… I have never heard it on my 2015 Transit 350 with the 3.5L twin turbo V6… 🤔

What exactly does an exhaust leak sound like? Was there any performance issue that hinted this beyond the sound when you were driving with windows down? I don't have a keen ear for these things so am just curious as to what to look out for.

What exactly does an exhaust leak sound like? Was there any performance issue that hinted this beyond the sound when you were driving with windows down? I don't have a keen ear for these things so am just curious as to what to look out for.
Yea.. inquiring minds want, need to know…

I'm 100% waiting 1-2 years buy this LC. I guess I will slug around in my tacoma 2.7L for a few years more.

I returned home after going to the gym this morning. I decided to pop the hood to check out the engine while it was running. I started to hear this tapping noise, sounded like lifters. It would come and go with the start of the cooling fan. I took a video (attached) to share with the forum. After about 10 minutes it stopped completely. I have 500 miles on the LC FE. It was built at the Tahara plant.

Yeah, that’s not the sound KMO. I'm pretty sure that’s normal. It’s more of a bottom end sounding noise near driver side. At least on mine it is.

Ummm.... is that normal
Yes.

Direct injectors firing off at 5000 PSI make some noise.

Plus the high pressure fuel pump runs off of a cam lobe, so you hear the pump ticking away too.

IMG_0428.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not so concerned but more curious. Why would the injector noise stop and start with the cooling fan ( eng temp) then stop when I rev it a few times.?

Back