The hybrid that can't...

Picked this guy up.

View attachment 8217View attachment 8218

This will be bought back from Toyota. About 30 more days.
Ford Motor Co has their own issues, though I don't know about the Raptor. There is probably a forum for that and the Ford forums help a lot. I have a newish Transit and keep it somewhat reliable thanks to forum member contributions. Ford Corporate can be a challenge for customer care. From my experience Ford maintenance schedule recommendations are lax and over shoot the actual fluid changes needed for the drive train.

The thread on the โ€œotherโ€ forum that suggests the noise is coming from the injectors. Author suggests the injectors operate at a much higher pressure at startup when engine is cold and that is the source of the noise.

A quick google search suggests it is common for direct injection engines to tick when cold. The noise is coming from the pulsing of injectors and/or the fuel injector pump.

Last edited:
The thread on the โ€œotherโ€ forum that suggests the noise is coming from the injectors. Author suggests the injectors operate at a much higher pressure at startup when engine is cold and that is the source of the noise.
Which forum are you referring to?

I changed my oil at 1,100 miles and it was dark. like coffee dark and smelled like gas. I didn't notice any metal in it but I'm sending to get analyzed. See pics. (first pic has a rag that fell into it)
That looks like liquid black tar. I have a massive 82 miles in week 1 on my odometer at mostly 30 - 60 mph, and I thought changing at 5k miles on full synthetic was a bit overreaching...

A quick google search suggests it is common for direct injection engines to tick when cold. The noise is coming from the pulsing of injectors and/or the fuel injector pump.
This makes me wonder if the vehicles are being garaged or not, not like people are going out in 28 degrees in July/August. I'm at 7200 altitude in Santa Fe, gets very windy, and fully garaged and not hearing any of this on start up nor low or higher speeds on highways and streets. Can't imagine what December to March would be if vehicles were in open parking. Regardless will likely get oil/filter changed at 500 - 600 miles and tested.

That looks like liquid black tar. I have a massive 82 miles in week 1 on my odometer at mostly 30 - 60 mph, and I thought changing at 5k miles on full synthetic was a bit overreaching...
I changed the oil at 700 miles and it was as I expected it to be, it looked and smelled very similar to the oil that I get out of my Tacoma every 6.5K. I'll change it again at 5K and I'm confident it will be normal used oil.

This post is the equivalent of finding out there's a lice outbreak at your kids school and immediately your scalp starts itching. Now I'm listening intently every time I start the engine, checking the VIN for where it was made, checking the dipstick over and over for metal shavings....... sigh.....

These engines have been out for 3 years. I havenโ€™t read of any common problems with them. The noise disappears when at operating temperature. A critical malfunctioning engine noise wonโ€™t go away when at operating temperature.

The similar D4S injection system on my GR86 also makes funny noises at cold start sometimes. It is attributed (by online know it alls like us) to a valve cleaning cycle that washes the backs of the intake valves to address the buildup up of carbon that direct injected engines are troubled with.

Maybe it is that, maybe it is our engines chewing themselves apart. ๐Ÿคฃ

Reading this thread has caused me a great deal of anxiety. So much so I decided to wait a year before making a purchase. Iโ€™m also interested in the new 4Runner.
The new 4Runner will have the same engine, whether itโ€™s a hybrid or straight ICE.

Great truck. Have one on order to be built. Any additional information around the failure of your LC engine?
Just got an update that Toyota is ordering a short block and it's on order for a September 13th-15th arrival. I just asked again if there was a determination on what the issue was. Waiting to hear back still.
Good luck with Ford. I just lemon my 22 Bronco 2.7L. Engine misfire at 57K miles, and Ford proved a buyback as well. Thatโ€™s why I got my self a LC . Hopefully, the sound is normal. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
I'll let you know. Hoping the 3.0L raptor engine is a little better built. No engine issue on my 2.7L Bronco I had. 33K miles tho before I got rid of it.
Ford Motor Co has their own issues, though I don't know about the Raptor. There is probably a forum for that and the Ford forums help a lot. I have a newish Transit and keep it somewhat reliable thanks to forum member contributions. Ford Corporate can be a challenge for customer care. From my experience Ford maintenance schedule recommendations are lax and over shoot the actual fluid changes needed for the drive train.
I plan on changing fluids more often than recommended. I think that's what you were suggesting.

Good luck with Ford. I just lemon my 22 Bronco 2.7L. Engine misfire at 57K miles, and Ford proved a buyback as well. Thatโ€™s why I got my self a LC . Hopefully, the sound is normal. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
I should have lemon lawed my ford f150. They replaced the engine twice once at 35k and again at 50k both times it misfired badly. Went into limp mode and they replaced everything. I got rid of it once warranty was up.

Back