Quality Control Delays!!

I’ve got deposits at two different dealerships, in two different states for Heritage Blue, Land Cruiser trim level, premium package with 20” wheels.

Got a call from both dealerships stating my VIN was “randomly” selected for quality control.

Coincidence? I will not be playing the lottery today…

73766178294__42B73D17-7669-4D9C-8EDF-D1C634D9F984.jpeg

I’m really glad I got mine when I did, just got lucky checking smartpath. I do think Toyota was pushing its luck some with getting this out as a 2024, even assuming everything went like it hoped. Of course this rollout coincided with them recalling 100K tundras and LX’s because they left weld scraps in the engines and it’s caused far too many of them to blow up (side note, but the tundras are made here and the LXs are made in Japan, which makes me wonder if it actually is a process issue like they say), plus the emissions scandal. I would guess under the circumstance they are being particularly careful with the new LC and GX, hence the extended QC hold.

While I agree, I'm not owed compensation for my waiting and my salesman was upfront about expectations..... I don't have an issue with that.

IF there were a system where the dealers could get honest, accurate answers to delay issues, it would quell the masses. Straight forward answer to ..... "X" VIN numbers are on QC hold due to sunroof fitment issue. There would very few buyers that would say "I'll take it as is and waive future repair liabilities."

Or X" VIN numbers are on QC hold due to air filter shortage, but we will ship if the filter upgrade is deleted.

But "I don't know" is frustrating.

It is unfortunate that someone sold their means of transportation based on an estimated arrival to dealer date......... but it was just that, an estimated date.

BTW mine arrived at port on 4-12-24
Unfortunately, even giving the option to waive future repairs is a whole legal can of worms. No auto mfg would willingly do that lol

Toyota has no obligation to provide transparency into why they're holding vehicles longer than expected. You don't own it yet, so you have no right to know whats going on with it. I don't see any timeline in which Toyota would tell consumers exactly what they did while the vehicles were being held at the ports. Even the info we see now about sunroofs is all speculation, I highly doubt all of the information was given to the distributors and dealers as well.

Even when I look up the VIN for the LC I have reserved, all I see in my internal employee systems is that it exists and is at the port. No other info about why its being held. I'm sure the logistics employees for Toyota and the distributors know more but they're not telling me
🤷‍♂️

This is my current status when my wife asked the dealership this morning. Currently waiting for Land Cruiser mid tier premium package, still hopeful it will come soon.

Attachments

• 1000006708.jpg
    1000006708.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20240605_122348.jpg
    IMG_20240605_122348.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 236
Unfortunately, even giving the option to waive future repairs is a whole legal can of worms. No auto mfg would willingly do that lol

Toyota has no obligation to provide transparency into why they're holding vehicles longer than expected. You don't own it yet, so you have no right to know whats going on with it. I don't see any timeline in which Toyota would tell consumers exactly what they did while the vehicles were being held at the ports. Even the info we see now about sunroofs is all speculation, I highly doubt all of the information was given to the distributors and dealers as well.

Even when I look up the VIN for the LC I have reserved, all I see in my internal employee systems is that it exists and is at the port. No other info about why its being held. I'm sure the logistics employees for Toyota and the distributors know more but they're not telling me
🤷‍♂️
I agree with this. I think the whole logistics/communication chain is unnecessarily flawed. Toyota has an entire division dedicated to brand loyalty and a little visibility from corporate and honesty at the dealer level would go a long way to improving this.

I’m still stoked to get the truck.. eventually, but I wish this experience had been a little better!

Hopefully we’ll see some movement soon 👍🏼

Mine was moved to processing as well, I think it's code for "hurry up and wait".

Says 56 days now...who knows?!

Attachments

• IMG_20240605_182452.jpg
    IMG_20240605_182452.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 156
Our LC with prem trim and with sunroof is scheduled for delivery next week. So some are being released? It was originally scheduled for availability mid-May. So, we will see…

But it could be the place where the LC is located? Long Beach is a very large port and I’m sure that if Toyota wanted too, they could pull additional mechanics from the numerous dealerships in the basin to perform any type of service?

But it could be the place where the LC is located? Long Beach is a very large port and I’m sure that if Toyota wanted too, they could pull additional mechanics from the numerous dealerships in the basin to perform any type of service?

Dealer techs are not paid by Toyota or the distributor, they’re paid by the dealership. Asking them to come work at the port is like asking the McDonald’s employees to man the registers at Taco Bell. Same industry but different companies

Yours is in Long Beach port? That’s where mine is but have no updates yet.

Gives me hope to hear that maybe some on hold at Long Beach are starting to trickle through… mine was supposed to clear customs on 5/18 but got hit with the hold.

IMO, it would seem that if a certain LC is cleared of the issue, there seems to be no reason to hold that vehicle back. The Toyota dealerships have employees that need to move the vehicles to meet payrolls.

So mine was suppose to be in yesterday the dealer has no idea not. Any was for someone in NorthEast to check the status based on vin#

Hate to say it but mine, FE, cleared customs, took the train to MN and is now stuck at the shipyard here for QC.

I'm wondering if they still producing and shipping from Japan or everything is on hold?
The holds at the ports have no effect on production. Toyota is still pumping out LCs at whatever the normal rate is. If they have LCs that are fixed and being released from the ports, that fix has likely already been put in place on the production lines.

Back