Quality Control Delays!!

I’ve got deposits at two different dealerships, in two different states for Heritage Blue, Land Cruiser trim level, premium package with 20” wheels.

Got a call from both dealerships stating my VIN was “randomly” selected for quality control.

Coincidence? I will not be playing the lottery today…

73766178294__42B73D17-7669-4D9C-8EDF-D1C634D9F984.jpeg

Couldn’t echo this anymore or say it differently. My dealer assured me 5/17 was the absolute latest date they would have the LC as it arrived at port on 4/22. I sold my vehicle the first week of May as I had a business trip and expected to pick it up after I got back.

Here we are and I just rented a car for two weeks as the logistics of two working parents and school age kids running in different directions finally broke us. 😭

I just fired off a long email (3rd one) to Brand Engagement expressing frustration at this experience.

I realize nothing is certain and these things can happen, but Toyota intentionally keeping dealers in the dark, and conversely customers paying a lot of money for their flagship vehicle, both leave a pretty sour taste in your mouth. I’ve purchased several Toyotas in the past and I’ve never had such a poor experience.
Can you publish the Toyota Brand Engagement email so that all of us are writing to the same place? I see several options but want to add to the messaging…..Thanks.

Couldn’t echo this anymore or say it differently. My dealer assured me 5/17 was the absolute latest date they would have the LC as it arrived at port on 4/22. I sold my vehicle the first week of May as I had a business trip and expected to pick it up after I got back.

Here we are and I just rented a car for two weeks as the logistics of two working parents and school age kids running in different directions finally broke us. 😭

I just fired off a long email (3rd one) to Brand Engagement expressing frustration at this experience.

I realize nothing is certain and these things can happen, but Toyota intentionally keeping dealers in the dark, and conversely customers paying a lot of money for their flagship vehicle, both leave a pretty sour taste in your mouth. I’ve purchased several Toyotas in the past and I’ve never had such a poor experience.
I’m in the same exact situation. I sold my two cars after the dealer told me my LC would be at the dealership the following week (early May). Now I’m borrowing my father-in-law’s surplus vehicle and he’s starting to get antsy. The downstream impact of this on Toyota customers is more than just a long wait.

I’m sure if We wanted to get militant, all of us on the Forum could send an email to the same Toyota customer service email asking for transparent information about what is wrong and when it will all be fixed. Unless we do something like that, I’m guessing we will just have to wait.

I’m sure if We wanted to get militant, all of us on the Forum could send an email to the same Toyota customer service email asking for transparent information about what is wrong and when it will all be fixed. Unless we do something like that, I’m guessing we will just have to wait.
at 26 thousand views on this thread alone I'm surprised we haven't gone militant yet :ROFLMAO:

Militant? Lmao. It’s not like anyone has to buy one. People waited over a year for broncos. And they are still hard, albeit easier, to get in a timely fashion. Same deal. Whenever you buy the first year of a new model expect not everything to be rosie.

It seems QC delays happens with virtually every new Toyota model of late. Almost like it would be weird if it didn't happen.

When I looked at Tundra and Tacoma forums it seemed like they also faced QC delays when the trucks were just starting to come off the assembly line.

It seems QC delays happens with virtually every new Toyota model of late. Almost like it would be weird if it didn't happen.

When I looked at Tundra and Tacoma forums it seemed like they also faced QC delays when the trucks were just starting to come off the assembly line.
Did you get a sense of their average waits?

Not so sure about that, it wouldn't explain why the 1958 trim doesn't have the QC hold. My sales guy sent me screenshots showing their 1958 allocations not on hold, but the rest are. However the dealership explanation of a sunroof issue does line up with all the LC premium and FE holds.
This isn't true. My 1958 is currently on hold at port. It arrived on May 13.

This isn't true. My 1958 is currently on hold at port. It arrived on May 13.
First of all, it is true for all the 1958s at the dealership where mine is reserved. Second, there are many reasons a vehicle can be on hold at the port. Did your sales person share the delivery timeline (example below) showing QC hold for your vehicle? If so please share with the forum.
73896512406__3BC1A2B4-6406-4BA5-AE4E-8ACCC8067C7B.jpeg

First of all, it is true for all the 1958s at the dealership where mine is reserved. Second, there are many reasons a vehicle can be on hold at the port. Did your sales person share the delivery timeline (example below) showing QC hold for your vehicle? If so please share with the forum. View attachment 2683
You're the one that said 1958s are not on hold. I was specifically informed that my LC is on QC hold, and currently, delivery time was unknown. It landed in Long Beach around 5/13 and was previously due to arrive at the dealer the first week of June.

Militant? Lmao. It’s not like anyone has to buy one. People waited over a year for broncos. And they are still hard, albeit easier, to get in a timely fashion. Same deal. Whenever you buy the first year of a new model expect not everything to be rosie.
Yeah I had a 21 bronco that I waited 18 months for and then sold 6 months later because it’s one of the worst vehicles I’ve ever owned. Quality control issues left and right, and random failures that the dealership couldn’t figure out.

If you want a high demand first year model, you’re gonna run into some bumps and blocks. At least Toyota is trying to identify and fix issues before these get into customer’s driveways. I would have waited another 6 months for an issue free Bronco

For the people who sold their vehicles and are now being inconvenienced because of Toyota’s “poor planning” and want some sort of payment, I think that’s ridiculous. I wouldn’t sell my vehicle until I knew my new one was confirmed on the way to the dealer or on the lot already. You chose to sell your vehicles early and are now being inconvenienced. I think that Toyota’s representatives would laugh heartily at your request for some kind of restitution before responding politely that it wasn’t their poor planning that led you to sell your car before you had any confirmation of the replacement, only your own.

Last edited:
Yeah I had a 21 bronco that I waited 18 months for and then sold 6 months later because it’s one of the worst vehicles I’ve ever owned. Quality control issues left and right, and random failures that the dealership couldn’t figure out.

If you want a high demand first year model, you’re gonna run into some bumps and blocks. At least Toyota is trying to identify and fix issues before these get into customer’s driveways. I would have waited another 6 months for an issue free Bronco

For the people who sold their vehicles and are now being inconvenienced because of Toyota’s “poor planning” and want some sort of payment, I think that’s ridiculous. I wouldn’t sell my vehicle until I knew my new one was confirmed on the way to the dealer or on the lot already. You chose to sell your vehicles early and are now being inconvenienced. I think that Toyota’s representatives would laugh heartily at your request for some kind of restitution before responding politely that it wasn’t their poor planning that led you to sell your car before you had any confirmation of the replacement, only your own.
My dealer provided a signed purchase contract post deposit, with a VIN and a delivery window to the dealer. I structured the sale of my vehicle for the tail end of this window, after receiving confirmation the vehicle was at Port with impending transport to the dealer - from the dealer.

I made these decisions based on information I received from Toyota - with no mention of the potential for QC holds anywhere in this process.

Now maybe this is commonplace for Toyota, but dealers are under Toyota’s umbrella and if Toyota is providing the dealer a tracking application for sharing with the buyer, then the fail is on Toyota not the buyer. The dealer is Toyota.

Militant? Lmao. It’s not like anyone has to buy one. People wanted over a year for broncos. And they are still hard, albeit easier, to get in a timely fashion.

Couldn’t have said it better. It kills me that people really think Toyota is gonna pay restitution. For what? Ignorance and bad planning? Another example of people wanting to blame someone for their inconvenience or mistake.

My dealer provided a signed purchase contract post deposit, with a VIN and a delivery window to the dealer. I structured the sale of my vehicle for the tail end of this window, after receiving confirmation the vehicle was at Port with impending transport to the dealer - from the dealer.

I made these decisions based on information I received from Toyota - with no mention of the potential for QC holds anywhere in this process.

Now maybe this is commonplace for Toyota, but dealers are under Toyota’s umbrella and if Toyota is providing the dealer a tracking application for sharing with the buyer, then the fail is on Toyota not the buyer. The dealer is Toyota.
To be pedantic for just a second: I’m a former dealership partner — the dealer is not Toyota. All Toyota dealerships are independently owned franchises.

That aside, a core issue here is the number of players involved in moving a vehicle from the factory to the dealership. With freight companies, contractors and subcontractors all operating in the background and with limitless incentive to blame another party when something goes awry, I never found it possible in my capacity as owner or as sales manager to pin down exactly who could provide updates on delays or condition issues concerning individual units or batches of units. Ever. In most cases, that leads to radio silence, since no one wants to communicate with you if they don’t know what to say.

Though these issues are hardly exclusive to Toyota or to the auto industry, they are of course enormously frustrating for dealers and guests alike. I feel your pain!

IMO, the dealer erred by providing you with a dated purchase contract when the vehicle wasn’t yet in their possession, and erred further by not offering an explicit asterisk on the accuracy of your arrival date. The last three years have been logistics hell for Toyota dealers, and they should have known better than to raise your hopes.

I hope it resolves soon for you!

To be pedantic for just a second: I’m a former dealership partner — the dealer is not Toyota. All Toyota dealerships are independently owned franchises.

That aside, a core issue here is the number of players involved in moving a vehicle from the factory to the dealership. With freight companies, contractors and subcontractors all operating in the background and with limitless incentive to blame another party when something goes awry, I never found it possible in my capacity as owner or as sales manager to pin down exactly who could provide updates on delays or condition issues concerning individual units or batches of units. Ever. In most cases, that leads to radio silence, since no one wants to communicate with you if they don’t know what to say.

Though these issues are hardly exclusive to Toyota or to the auto industry, they are of course enormously frustrating for dealers and guests alike. I feel your pain!

IMO, the dealer erred by providing you with a dated purchase contract when the vehicle wasn’t yet in their possession, and erred further by not offering an explicit asterisk on the accuracy of your arrival date. The last three years have been logistics hell for Toyota dealers, and they should have known better than to raise your hopes.

I hope it resolves soon for you!

Like @crw8 says. Toyota just builds the vehicle and sends them to port. Once they're released from port, its up to the distributors and dealers to effectively communicate with the customer if they choose to. Dealers are completely independent of Toyota. Sure, we have some oversight into shady business practices and can cut allocations, but there are contracts in place that don't really allow TMNA to punish or control dealers. For full disclosure, I'm an engineer with Toyota (not for vehicle engineering, but still employed by TMNA for the last several years), I know how these systems work lol.

There are a TON of moving parts to get a vehicle from port into your driveway, and nearly every high profile vehicle launched in the last 5 years has had some sort of delay. Broncos were delayed and held for 6 months or longer (see Dirt Mountain). new style TRD Camrys were also delayed by weeks. The Wrangler 4xle was delayed by almost 9 months post production. These are not uncommon, and why most good salespeople/sales managers will tell you to wait to sell your vehicle until they know that the vehicle is on a transport heading to the dealership. Even then, they'll tell you to wait until its on the lot because it may have some issue right off the trailer that they need to correct. Asking for TMNA or the dealer to "make it right" really doesn't make any sense.

I got burned by something similar too. In 2017 I had ordered a new Subaru BRZ, that was expected to land in November around thanksgiving. I sold my car the week before thanksgiving since I wasn't going to be traveling much, and had access to another car if I needed to in a pinch. Dealer calls me on Black Friday and says that due to some changes in import laws, the vehicle had to be held at the port for an undetermined amount of time. I ended up getting it in January. I bought a shitbox Civic and drove that thing while I waited for my new car, and donated that vehicle to a charity when I got my BRZ.

While I agree, I'm not owed compensation for my waiting and my salesman was upfront about expectations..... I don't have an issue with that.

IF there were a system where the dealers could get honest, accurate answers to delay issues, it would quell the masses. Straight forward answer to ..... "X" VIN numbers are on QC hold due to sunroof fitment issue. There would very few buyers that would say "I'll take it as is and waive future repair liabilities."

Or X" VIN numbers are on QC hold due to air filter shortage, but we will ship if the filter upgrade is deleted.

But "I don't know" is frustrating.

It is unfortunate that someone sold their means of transportation based on an estimated arrival to dealer date......... but it was just that, an estimated date.

BTW mine arrived at port on 4-12-24

Back