Quality Control Delays!!

I’ve got deposits at two different dealerships, in two different states for Heritage Blue, Land Cruiser trim level, premium package with 20” wheels.

Got a call from both dealerships stating my VIN was “randomly” selected for quality control.

Coincidence? I will not be playing the lottery today…

73766178294__42B73D17-7669-4D9C-8EDF-D1C634D9F984.jpeg

Do y'all have to ask your dealer for updates or is there a hacky way to check current status if you know your vin?
You can get updates from your dealer. My dealer told me the date it wa to ship from Japan and I was able to find the ship from a tracking thread on this forum.

I was checking with the salesman every other week. He contacted me today with the updated ETA. I am excited, but feel bad for people that have waited much longer. Who knows what the real problem is! I did read on Facebook about bolts not fitting skid plates. That could be a longer delay for FE models or upgraded skid plates. I hope all on hold get moving soon!

Hopefully they get to mine quickly! It arrived mid May some time. Would be nice to have it before the 4th but that isn't looking likely.
Mine arrived in early April. No updates at this stage.

Apparently Gulf States Toyota doesn't get the same tracking information that SE Toyota gets, according to my salesman (like the nice little tracking bar showing build-->vessel-->port-->rail-->freight-->dealer that has been posted high above), but all dealers can send you the "guest.dealer.toyota..." link to the realtime spreadsheet. Then with the web page hacks mentioned above in this thread you can get ETA, status, etc.
With all this effort, I'm able to figure out that my Tahara R5004060 LC Trim was built after the hold (6/13), is on a ship that departed 6/21, with stateside arrival of 7/4/24 and ETA of 7/24/24.

Oh, the lengths we'll go to for a little information!!

I cancelled my Hino RK005297 (4/16 build) similar spec, because it arrived 5/12 in Portland and 6 weeks later, is still stuck in QC hold purgatory with no end in site.

In the end, I'm glad to have one coming that was built in Tahara and crazy to think that even though it was built two months later it may arrive before the other.

Apparently Gulf States Toyota doesn't get the same tracking information that SE Toyota gets, according to my salesman (like the nice little tracking bar showing build-->vessel-->port-->rail-->freight-->dealer that has been posted high above), but all dealers can send you the "guest.dealer.toyota..." link to the realtime spreadsheet. Then with the web page hacks mentioned above in this thread you can get ETA, status, etc.
With all this effort, I'm able to figure out that my Tahara R5004060 LC Trim was built after the hold (6/13), is on a ship that departed 6/21, with stateside arrival of 7/4/24 and ETA of 7/24/24.

Oh, the lengths we'll go to for a little information!!

I cancelled my Hino RK005297 (4/16 build) similar spec, because it arrived 5/12 in Portland and 6 weeks later, is still stuck in QC hold purgatory with no end in site.

In the end, I'm glad to have one coming that was built in Tahara and crazy to think that even though it was built two months later it may arrive before the other.
I took a look at the guest.dealer. page. It says "eta: {currFromDate: "2024-07-01", currToDate: "2024-07-06"}" Does anyone know if this is accurate? Its still listed as "Dealer Hold." It was supposed to be at the dealership late May.

I took a look at the guest.dealer. page. It says "eta: {currFromDate: "2024-07-01", currToDate: "2024-07-06"}" Does anyone know if this is accurate? Its still listed as "Dealer Hold." It was supposed to be at the dealership late May.
From what I've read "Dealer Hold" is not necessarily QC Hold. Dealer hold apparently means that the unit is not available to sell, mainly because of a deposit and promised to a customer like you!

And I also don't know if these ETA's are accurate, but at least there's an ETA listed. The QC Hold units don't even have an ETA in those brackets.

I was checking with the salesman every other week. He contacted me today with the updated ETA. I am excited, but feel bad for people that have waited much longer. Who knows what the real problem is! I did read on Facebook about bolts not fitting skid plates. That could be a longer delay for FE models or upgraded skid plates. I hope all on hold get moving soon!
I miss spoke, it was bolt issues with roof racks from Facebook.

OK, you guys are smarter than I am, or at least have smarter salesmen.

4 of the 5 LCs on my dealers website have RK in position 10,11 of the VIN. Mine does too. Their lone FE has R5.

NHTSA's VIN decoder does not recognize K as a valid character in position 11. Only valid values are 5, 6, J

Any thoughts?
R is good if in the 10th Position. Tahara, no?

My salesman called me today and said my Trail Dust/Grayscape LC Premium Package will be at the SoCal dealership anytime between tomorrow and Saturday from the Port of Long Beach. I've been on 4 waiting lists since February and was able to reserve it a month ago right after the QCH. Here's hoping everyone gets theirs soon. 🤙

My salesman called me today and said my Trail Dust/Grayscape LC Premium Package will be at the SoCal dealership anytime between tomorrow and Saturday from the Port of Long Beach. I've been on 4 waiting lists since February and was able to reserve it a month ago right after the QCH. Here's hoping everyone gets theirs soon. 🤙
Thanks for the update and congratulations!!

Question for those receiving ‘real dates’ again - are those only visible to the dealer and/or dealer supplied link or will SmartPath update also? ‘Mine’ has looked like this on SmartPath for a month. Just wondering if it will change and I should keep checking here or if this will never change and it will just show up.

IMG_4974.jpeg

Question for those receiving ‘real dates’ again - are those only visible to the dealer and/or dealer supplied link or will SmartPath update also? ‘Mine’ has looked like this on SmartPath for a month. Just wondering if it will change and I should keep checking here or if this will never change and it will just show up.

View attachment 3439
Mine changed on the dealer inventory page as well. "Vehicle is in build phase. Estimated availability 07/01/24 - 07/06/24."

Mine changed on the dealer inventory page as well. "Vehicle is in build phase. Estimated availability 07/01/24 - 07/06/24."
And that same info is on SmartPath?

I don’t have a dealer-supplied link or a text/email way to pester them, and I’m a millennial that doesn’t like to make phone calls, so it would be great if SmartPath will update and tell me what I need to know 😅

And that same info is on SmartPath?

I don’t have a dealer-supplied link or a text/email way to pester them, and I’m a millennial that doesn’t like to make phone calls, so it would be great if SmartPath will update and tell me what I need to know 😅
It shows on Smartpath. It updated last night from "build phase, contact dealer for availablility", to "Vehicle is in build phase. Estimated availability 07/01/24 - 07/06/24."

I havent spoken to the dealer yet to confirm the new dates are legit.

From what I can tell from a small sample size I saw at the local dealer (5 cars) plus what is on here. Looks like positions 10 and 11 in the VIN denote factory

RK - Hino
R5 - Tahara

All GX550 that I look up online also have R5 in positions 10 and 11.
If the above is accurate (need more data points, obviously) a quick search online shows that most Land Cruisers are actually coming from Hino.

@NoMe cruiser. This is correct. I researched my large local dealer and it was confirmed with the VIN samples I saw. Don't forget the beloved FJ Cruiser was made there.

LAND CRUISER R5 TAHARA.JPG
LAND CRUISER RK HAMURA.JPG

Last edited:
Back