Tire Upgrade ?

I was just hoping someone on the forum other than a Facebook post would verify that they installed a spare tire that was 33.4 inches or larger. Just want to be safe before I order 5 Mickey Thompson Boss AT’s. Have to run a spare. Doing Westcott lift so I know I’m solid on the vehicle. My Cruiser is still a couple weeks out.
I understand, I won't 100% believe it until I see a few more reports! I have seen three people (two here) report 33.2" K03's fit in the spare location. I'm really considering a 33.43" tire, I've been hoping to see a few people say those fit for sure. That FB post was the first I saw anyone say anything large than 33.2" fit.

Adding E load tires into the mix throws off the comparison as these are substantially heavier than C load (6 ply vs 10 ply), but I realize the tire options for 18s aren't great.
That's the dominating factor, E vs. C -- lots of SL/C load options around 33" for the 20" wheel, pretty much only E load for the 18" (unless you stick with the smaller than 33" stock size). For the 18" wheel the tire options all gain 10-12+ lbs and that more than offsets any weight advantage from the wheel.

I updated the spreadsheet to add some 20" tires that fit the stock wheel, it's in a separate sheet so I'm not sure how that will work with posting it here? Edit: click on 20" Tires at the bottom.

With stock tires you are probably looking at the 20" combo being 6-7lbs heavier.

Adding E load tires into the mix throws off the comparison as these are substantially heavier than C load (6 ply vs 10 ply), but I realize the tire options for 18s aren't great.

I know firsthand shaving ~10lbs of unsprung weight can make a noticeable change on a performance oriented car, but I am not certain you are going to feel the same change on a 5,000lb SUV.

Personally, my plan is to run 17x8.5 Method 703s with the Raptor spec KO2s which are C load 35s with a T speed rating (paired with Westcott's lift). These are 10-15lbs lighter than a comparable A/T4W.

It's too bad Rays doesn't have anything ideal for the LC. Getting some sub-20 lb wheels would sure be nice!
Yup pretty much my plan as well, same wheels and lift only difference is i'm going with C rated KO3s.

Thanks, I’ll get my 275/60 R20 Mickey Thompson Baja AT SL on order. I appreciate the work you did putting this together. Have a great 4th!

I was just hoping someone on the forum other than a Facebook post would verify that they installed a spare tire that was 33.4 inches or larger. Just want to be safe before I order 5 Mickey Thompson Boss AT’s. Have to run a spare. Doing Westcott lift so I know I’m solid on the vehicle. My Cruiser is still a couple weeks out.
I’ve got an appointment to get tires on next Thursday. I’ll do you a solid and try it out when I get them on. I’ve settled on the Cooper Rugged Treks which has the same basic specs as the Baja. The spare is not a concern for me but I see it brought up on a regular basis so I’ll give it a go.

With stock tires you are probably looking at the 20" combo being 6-7lbs heavier.

I know firsthand shaving ~10lbs of unsprung weight can make a noticeable change on a performance oriented car, but I am not certain you are going to feel the same change on a 5,000lb SUV.

Personally, my plan is to run 17x8.5 Method 703s with the Raptor spec KO2s which are C load 35s with a T speed rating (paired with Westcott's lift). These are 10-15lbs lighter than a comparable A/T4W.

It's too bad Rays doesn't have anything ideal for the LC. Getting some sub-20 lb wheels would sure be nice!
I must be getting really old. I have now idea what any of that means…🤣🤣🤣

I’ve got an appointment to get tires on next Thursday. I’ll do you a solid and try it out when I get them on. I’ve settled on the Cooper Rugged Treks which has the same basic specs as the Baja. The spare is not a concern for me but I see it brought up on a regular basis so I’ll give it a go.
Thanks that will be awesome, I’ll wait to order my tires till I hear verification that the spare fit. Thanks for taking one for the team!!

Yup pretty much my plan as well, same wheels and lift only difference is i'm going with C rated KO3s.
Ok nice! I personally like the KO2s a little better since they are 8lbs lighter and have a higher speed rating.

Not that a speed rating is needed, but I like think they will have better overall on-road manners.

285/70/R17 Falken Wildpeak A/TW4s on Method Race Wheels MR316, 17x8, +25mm offset, 6x5.5

View attachment 3499View attachment 3500View attachment 3501View attachment 3503
OK this look seals the deal for me. I have been looking and looking and couldn't decide on tire size and wheel combo. Love the look of this. Either the 316 or the 703 in titanium. with these tires. Are these the E rated tires and how is the road noise? I currently have some Wildpeak AT3 on my Tacoma and they were quiet at first, but the more wear, they seem to get louder.

Here's what I'll be running with on my First Edition... Pending backorder.

Method 705's Matte Black - 18x9 | 6x5.5 | 18/5.75" - Just enough offset with the fenders and should still tuck the spare nicely to allow for a 5 tire rotation.

Tires are BFG KO3's... LT265 /70 R18 124S E1

Here's what I'll be running with on my First Edition... Pending backorder.

Method 705's Matte Black - 18x9 | 6x5.5 | 18/5.75" - Just enough offset with the fenders and should still tuck the spare nicely to allow for a 5 tire rotation.

Tires are BFG KO3's... LT265 /70 R18 124S E1
I’ll be really interested to see how those wheels work out.

I got similar price. I will check Costco
I found that when I looked at Costco, the price was the same which surprised me. If they are the same when I purchase mine, I’ll go with Discount Tire. I’ve been VERY happy with my local store. Free rotation, balance, etc for life of tire and they keep their appointments unlike my local Costco which gets me in an hour after my appointment.

For those looking for AT’s that are mild AT and good on the road, I’ve heard good things about the Cooper Discoverer ATP II’s. Unrelated to my preference for DT above, but they may be exclusive to DT.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a jerk but I'm curious which tires you are looking at that are so much heavier. I've been trying to make that decision of C vs E rated and after your post, got "worried" about the additional weight. However, when I looked at a few I found these results for LT285/70R17 and LT285/75R17:

Falken AT4W
1720232997199.png

Nitto Ridge Grappler
1720233031181.png

For both of these tires, the LT285/70R17's are the same weight for C and E class. Surprisingly, for both of these tires, E weighed LESS than the C for the LT285/75R17's. I looked at K03's and the E's were 3 pounds heavier for the LT285/70R17's. Am I missing something here?

A lot of the trails in my area have jagged rocks that will jump out and grab a sidewall and have done so to me in the past. So, sidewall strength is important to me but not if it means significant compromises elsewhere. Also, while overlanding, I'll be loaded pretty heavily so that could factor in as well.

Not trying to be a jerk but I'm curious which tires you are looking at that are so much heavier. I've been trying to make that decision of C vs E rated and after your post, got "worried" about the additional weight. However, when I looked at a few I found these results for LT285/70R17 and LT285/75R17:

Falken AT4W
View attachment 4013

Nitto Ridge Grappler
View attachment 4014

For both of these tires, the LT285/70R17's are the same weight for C and E class. Surprisingly, for both of these tires, E weighed LESS than the C for the LT285/75R17's. I looked at K03's and the E's were 3 pounds heavier for the LT285/70R17's. Am I missing something here?

A lot of the trails in my area have jagged rocks that will jump out and grab a sidewall and have done so to me in the past. So, sidewall strength is important to me but not if it means significant compromises elsewhere. Also, while overlanding, I'll be loaded pretty heavily so that could factor in as well.
I haven’t looked at any 17” tires, I’ve been looking at what fits on the stock wheels. So 18” or 20”.

Back