Tire Upgrade ?

LC, LC Trim is just off QC hold!

I have read through these posts, and most are going with the 18-wheel on their LC. Mine LC has a 20-wheel (265/60/R20 tire), which I will keep. I drive primarily on-road with occasional fall trips off-road for hunting and other outdoor activities. Can anyone suggest a good AT tire for 20" wheels that fit my 80% on-road (dry, wet, snow) driving and occasional light off-road? There are fewer options for the R20 compared to the R18. Thanks!

I have a premium coming with the 20’s. Until the aftermarket is more mature with plentiful suspension lifts, etc. I’m just going to keep the 20’s. I’ve been around off-roading for years and run many of the big name tires.

First, I plan on going 275/60-R20. It’s a true 33”, there are a lot more options available, and it’s basically the same size as the 275/70-R18 we’re hearing works without issue (no rubbing, fits in spare location).

Tire type is a super personal choice depending on your location, climate, off-roading vs road, and ride preferences.

Some of the top choices available in 275/60-R20:
BFG KO3
Falken Wildpeak AT4W
Goodyear Duratrac RT
Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek
General Grabber ATX
Toyo Open Country AT

All are 3PMSF rated. Some do better in wet, some do better in dry, some do better in mud (but not equal to a mud tire), some do better in snow (but not equal to a snow tire). Some are E Load rated (stronger sidewall for rock crawling and towing but stiffer ride). Some are SL or C rated (slightly less stronger sidewall but better ride and fuel efficiency).

Which you choose depends on your circumstances and preference. All these tires are prime brand models. All have fans. All have haters. I’ve run versions of most of them and none were a “bad” tire. All had strengths and weaknesses.

Or maybe you want to choose based on where they are made. (Hooray Made in America or Made in Canada.) Or where the company is located. Or what countries their business supports. (Nokian is a neat fringe option, but while Finnish they have long done a lot of business with Russia.)

Or maybe you want to decide based on where you buy them. (Support local!)

Or maybe it’s all about the looks. Want white lettering? BFG or General is for you. Want to choose your sidewall pattern? Check out the Cooper’s knife edge or mountain top pattern reversible tires.

Finally, keep in mind that if you buy some and don’t like them, nothing is stopping you from buying another set and throwing the old ones on marketplace (or even better this forum).

A couple other people have successfully fit the KO3 275/70R18 in the spare location. TBD if other brands in that size will fit, many other brands run a little oversize.
The 275/70-18 is 33.2, the 275/60-20 is 33.0 by the math, which adds a little buffer on the tread depth variations. Worst case there’s a bit of light modification to the brackets.

Just ordered Wildpeaks though I was swayed over to the Nokians. Unfortunately, when I called tire rack and several dealers, they were on Nat’l back order with no date given as to when they might show up…sound familiar but I cannot place where I heard that last (ehm, unknown QC hold, ehm)!

Last edited:
What is wrong with the Michelins?
Nothing is "wrong" with the Michelins, but they are at the low end ($171 @ Discount Tire). They are really a highway tread vs an AT tire. If you are primarily a pavement driver, with little or no off road or snow, they are OK. However, if you do any off road or deal with extreme weather, you can do better. I live at 7600' in the Colorado mountains, so KO3's are right for me.

LC, LC Trim is just off QC hold!

I have read through these posts, and most are going with the 18-wheel on their LC. Mine LC has a 20-wheel (265/60/R20 tire), which I will keep. I drive primarily on-road with occasional fall trips off-road for hunting and other outdoor activities. Can anyone suggest a good AT tire for 20" wheels that fit my 80% on-road (dry, wet, snow) driving and occasional light off-road? There are fewer options for the R20 compared to the R18. Thanks!
Since I have all the data sheets on my computer anyway...

The BFG KO3 doesn't currently come in any ideal sizes. The Nokian Outpost nAT comes in 275/60R20 standard load (115H) which is right at 33" and only 46.3 lbs in that size. (There's also a 56 lb LT probably E load version.) The Wrangler Duratrac RT also comes in standard load in that size at 47.5lbs. And the Wildpeak AT4W in standard load at 50.7 lbs.

Maybe not the best on road tire, but you could even get a Mickey Thompson Baja Boss in standard load 275/60R20 (spec sheet says 33.4") at 47 lbs. I might be liking your 20" tire options more than the 18" options, there are pretty much no 33" standard load options for the stock 18" wheels!

Edit: didn't see LCNorth's reply until after I wrote mine, we pretty clearly have similar selection criteria! I don't see this size listed for the KO3 though.

Last edited:
Back