Tire Upgrade ?

Noise none that I ever noticed as for mileage it was not bad so I stopped checking . Wear was great also used as toad behind our Diesel pusher. Almost picked them instead of Open Country for FE Heritage blue love this Cruiser .

Like most others with premies, mine is coming with 20โ€™s. I usually have 2 sets of wheels/tires. Summer/ winter I like OEM and almost pulled the trigger on a set of โ€˜24 taco trd pro wheels which look good but then today some 18โ€ OEM โ€˜24 lc wheels showed up on ebay. Getting those and will fit with blizzaks keeping the original lc look.

Anyone run 285/75/18 open country with method 40+ took off wheel stops my preload kit has not arrived yet how much rub will I get . Going on a road trip to see family on Vancouver Island I can wait till I come home to 4 wheel lift kit will have been delivered by then.

What kind of off-road experience did you have with them?
Very little dirt trails local high desert mountains southern Cal . For the rough stuff I would use my modified FJ40 and haul it by trailer /Cal 4wheel drive association as individual/club member/Associate . Lots of fun and great people with common likes 4 WHEELING

Anybody try the Cooper Discoverer Road + Trail AT? I will be on pavement 90% or more of the time and when I do go off-road, it will most likely not be hard core rock crawling or mudding. I think the most extreme I'll be getting would be something like the Alpine Loop in Colorado. I've read good things about the R + T AT, particularly about very low road noise, good wet traction and yet still has decent off-road capabilities. It also has an amazing 65K mile warranty and a great price. Lastly, it still maintains a relatively rugged/aggressive look:

View attachment 4158
Will be getting installed tomorrow in 265/70R18 on a 1958, will report back.

Thanks that will be awesome, Iโ€™ll wait to order my tires till I hear verification that the spare fit. Thanks for taking one for the team!!
Well my LC that was supposed to come in today got scratched up in transit. So itโ€™s now 2-2.5 weeks out from getting ready. The dealer has an underground color coming in hopefully this week that isnโ€™t spoken for and I might be making a switch. My original one had 20s and the underground has 18s. I had my tires picked out but Iโ€™ll have to change that around as I do not want an E load tire. So Iโ€™ll let you know what I get but my spare fitting will be put off a week or so.

Last edited:
Well my LC that was supposed to come in today got scratched up in transit. So itโ€™s now 2-2.5 weeks out from getting ready. The dealer has an underground color coming in hopefully this week that isnโ€™t spoken for and I might be making a switch. My original one had 20s and the underground has 18s. I had my tires picked out but Iโ€™ll have to change that around as I do not want an E load tire. So Iโ€™ll let you know what I get but my spare fitting will be put off a week or so.
Ugh! Donโ€™t even want to think about the possibility of the dealer screwing something up! Thanks for the nightmares that are sure to ensue! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ugh! Donโ€™t even want to think about the possibility of the dealer screwing something up! Thanks for the nightmares that are sure to ensue! ๐Ÿ˜‰
I wonโ€™t blame the dealer on this one. Iโ€™ll blame the car hauler. Iโ€™m not sure what the damage was exactly but it was to the front bumper and on the paint. But for it to take 2-2.5 weeks, Iโ€™m betting the black section got damaged too and a replacement isnโ€™t just sitting around. Might be a blessing in disguise as I have 2 colors to pick from now!

Will be getting installed tomorrow in 265/70R18 on a 1958, will report back.
Only drove about 20 miles at up to 75 MPH. Initial impressions are mostly very positive. The good: road noise is extremely low, perhaps quieter than the OEM Geolander; ride is awesome compared to OEM, it soaks everything up, even being a little overinflated from the install - there's no harshness now; feels planted and handles well; looks really good; and it (unexpectedly) lifted it about an inch, lowest point of ground clearance is a little over 9" compared to 8" before. The not so good: the on center feel is a little loose, but is to be expected with an A/T; steering wheel is slightly off now and the on center play doesn't help - it was perfectly straight before. Personal preference: was expecting it to lift about ยฝ" per tire specs, but it turns out the OEM tires are almost 1.5" inch shorter than spec - that's not necessary "bad" but it is now extremely close to not being able to open the hatch in my garage (ยผ" of clearance) and adding roof rails will be getting close now, I don't know that raised crossbars will fit under garage door; it turns out the speedo was apparently off because the OEM tires are smaller than spec, not because it was programmed for 265/70's as I had thought, so now the speedo is off 2 MPH at highway speeds and the mileage is off too - I personally don't like this at all on a new vehicle.

Let me know if you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them and update over time. All in all very happy with them so far, but everything has trade offs. One concern is how much of an MPG hit it will be as these look much more like a Toyo Open Country III or KO2 than I was expecting.

IMG_2574.jpeg
IMG_2570.jpeg
IMG_2573.jpeg
IMG_2569.jpeg

I understand, I won't 100% believe it until I see a few more reports! I have seen three people (two here) report 33.2" K03's fit in the spare location. I'm really considering a 33.43" tire, I've been hoping to see a few people say those fit for sure. That FB post was the first I saw anyone say anything large than 33.2" fit.Toyo
he did post a shot afterwards with it in the spare location. i guess this confirms 33.7" 285/70R18 Toyo AT3 fits.

449634475_8751449714870937_7570516299288164930_n.jpg

449775829_8751450544870854_3327074641565073674_n.jpg

he did post a shot afterwards with it in the spare location. i guess this confirms 33.7" 285/70R18 Toyo AT3 fits.

449634475_8751449714870937_7570516299288164930_n.jpg

Yeah, but you can tell by the license plate that it's not in the US so the location for their spare tire is measured using the metric system meaning it's probably bigger. ;)

Only drove about 20 miles at up to 75 MPH. Initial impressions are mostly very positive. The good: road noise is extremely low, perhaps quieter than the OEM Geolander; ride is awesome compared to OEM, it soaks everything up, even being a little overinflated from the install - there's no harshness now; feels planted and handles well; looks really good; and it (unexpectedly) lifted it about an inch, lowest point of ground clearance is a little over 9" compared to 8" before. The not so good: the on center feel is a little loose, but is to be expected with an A/T; steering wheel is slightly off now and the on center play doesn't help - it was perfectly straight before. Personal preference: was expecting it to lift about ยฝ" per tire specs, but it turns out the OEM tires are almost 1.5" inch shorter than spec - that's not necessary "bad" but it is now extremely close to not being able to open the hatch in my garage (ยผ" of clearance) and adding roof rails will be getting close now, I don't know that raised crossbars will fit under garage door; it turns out the speedo was apparently off because the OEM tires are smaller than spec, not because it was programmed for 265/70's as I had thought, so now the speedo is off 2 MPH at highway speeds and the mileage is off too - I personally don't like this at all on a new vehicle.

Let me know if you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them and update over time. All in all very happy with them so far, but everything has trade offs. One concern is how much of an MPG hit it will be as these look much more like a Toyo Open Country III or KO2 than I was expecting.

View attachment 4278View attachment 4279View attachment 4280View attachment 4281
Donโ€™t worry the road noise will increase as they wear. Cooper makes a good at tire that is tough but in my experience they wear bad.

Just upgraded tires to WILDPEAK At4 including the spare. I kept them a stock size. Worth noting is the spare tire is a matched rim ( at least on the FE) so I went with a spare swap as well. As with my Bronco, I will get all 5 tires rotated during services. No extra for the rotation at my dealer and the tires will last another 20% more.

Just upgraded tires to WILDPEAK At4 including the spare. I kept them a stock size. Worth noting is the spare tire is a matched rim ( at least on the FE) so I went with a spare swap as well. As with my Bronco, I will get all 5 tires rotated during services. No extra for the rotation at my dealer and the tires will last another 20% more.
I've always asked for that on my FJ. Just make sure they actually do it. One place I wasn't keeping a close enough eye on it and they weren't actually doing it, by the time I caught it the tread was too different to swap it in anymore.

Any pictures ?
Typically the Wildpeak runs bigger.

To me, this look from @bobs619 is the best combination of wheel and tire sizing I have yet seen: 18x9 and 0 offset wheels, paired with 275/65/18 KO2s. I would like to do Method MR305NVs in combination with 275/65/18 KO3s. Any idea if this will fit in the spare compartment? Thanks!

IMG_4363.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Image 7-10-24 at 11.39โ€ฏAM.jpeg
    Image 7-10-24 at 11.39โ€ฏAM.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 113
To me, this look from @bobs619 is the best combination of wheel and tire sizing I have yet seen: 18x9 and 0 offset wheels, paired with 275/65/18 KO2s. I would like to do Method MR305NVs in combination with 275/65/18 KO3s. Any idea if this will fit in the spare compartment? Thanks!

View attachment 4411

Here u go bro. Switched up to 275/70 ko3. Slighty taller and skinny tire to match height of stock and minimize poke.

*had to do some "adjustment" to front fender liner to prevent rubbing at full lock (on incline). A + size offset might have better clearance.
IMG_4512.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure many people on here will be actively looking to put smaller tires on the LC then what comes stock... the 275 is slightly wider, but smaller in diameter, sidewall and circumference. No reason at all why it wouldnt fit in the spare location.

Back