Does anyone actually get the posted 22/24 mpg?

I'm clocking in at 17.2 mpg. 700 miles on ODM, I drive like a grandma, I have only put in premium gas, stock wheels, in ECO mode 100% of the time. What gives???? I should be at minimum getting 22 mpg. I wouldn't really care all that much except the tank is tiny...15 gallons. I only get a range of 280 miles per fill.
I’ve kinda developed the ability to use the electric more than turbo or or higher rpm. Seems a little punch then let off back to normal accelerating. Not sure exactly, seems more art than science. But have noticed about 2-3 extra mph. However, it doesn’t seem to work for a stop at all for me.

Hi friends, I have been a Costco and Sam's Club member for over 30+ years. Have tried both gasolines hundreds of times. Costco gas, consistently gives a substantial amount LESS mileage. Rumor is that Sam's Club gas is Chevron gas, so Sam's does not need top tier(useless) rating. Tested hundreds of times, Sam's gas / Chevron gas gives better mileage. I am in Southern California.

Hi friends, I have been a Costco and Sam's Club member for over 30+ years. Have tried both gasolines hundreds of times. Costco gas, consistently gives a substantial amount LESS mileage. Rumor is that Sam's Club gas is Chevron gas, so Sam's does not need top tier(useless) rating. Tested hundreds of times, Sam's gas / Chevron gas gives better mileage. I am in Southern California.
Chevron is top tier, so Sam’s is definitely not selling chevron. Chevron is also a regional gas station chain not found outside of west and south, while Sam’s club is not regional.

If Sam’s club cannot get a rather easy certification like top tier, I am not trusting their quality.

COSTCO is top tier gasoline.

Years ago, I was talking to a guy filling the Costco tanks in the Boise area. It was coming from a tanker with Chevron markings on it. I asked about the Techron, and the guy said that Costco pays for Techron, at a level 5 times higher amount as what you get from a Chevron filling station. They add the Techron at the storage facility when filling up the tankers.

COSTCO is top tier gasoline.

Years ago, I was talking to a guy filling the Costco tanks in the Boise area. It was coming from a tanker with Chevron markings on it. I asked about the Techron, and the guy said that Costco pays for Techron, at a level 5 times higher amount as what you get from a Chevron filling station. They add the Techron at the storage facility when filling up the tankers.
i've heard that same thing about Costco using Techron.

Costco pumps do say "Top Tier" on them. Our local Costco gets gas from Offen Petroleum, at least that is what it says on the side of the fuel trucks.

BTW, the wife and I went fishing at Tomahawk SWA today, 213.x miles. We got 24.4 mpg, with virtually all mountain driving.

I'm running the stock Michelin LTX 265/18's. Running in the 21-22mpg range. LC Premium package. Do think the bigger K03's will result in less mileage, but I wouldn't think 15 mpgs. Seems like a sizable drop off.

I'm running the stock Michelin LTX 265/18's. Running in the 21-22mpg range. LC Premium package. Do think the bigger K03's will result in less mileage, but I wouldn't think 15 mpgs. Seems like a sizable drop off.
Please keep us posted on what your experience is when you make the switch.

I’m a LC trim with 1,280 miles. First 2 tanks were 17, but it quickly jumped up to 19.3 - 19.6 on tank 3 and has held steady.

Please keep us posted on what your experience is when you make the switch.
Not yet sure I'm making the switch. I can't say that I dislike the Michelins, but I understand why some do. Not a tire that I'd really do difficult trails with, but the vast majority of my miles will be on pavement, with the occasional camp trip on relatively easy trails. They frankly seem fine for that. If I go for a bigger tire more for aesthetics, than I'd likely just upgrade with a better off road tire like the K03. Really interested in seeing more experience with those tires on this vehicle, though. If I'd lose a mile or two, I'd probably find that an acceptable trade off. If I kicked down to 15mpg, I don't think I'd do it. I tend to put in a fair amount of miles in SoCal and gas isn't cheap here. I'm going to run these for at least a few months and see how they handle off road before I change anything. Will say that I've been pleasantly surprised by how well these run on the highway, though. Very quiet, pretty smooth ride, once I adjusted to proper inflation (dealer left at 55psi). Folks at Toyota are pretty smart. I think they chose these to make sure that people like the ride in the factory set up, with the understanding that those who do a lot more off roading will swap out to something else anyway.

I am very pleased with the Michelins. I do like the look of the rugged AT tires, but don’t want the road comfort and fuel economy hit right now.

The Michelins did just fine for me off road in Nevada (super steep climbs on decomposing granodiorite…gravel on packed, baby head rocks on hard pack, boulders). Also performed great on the Rubicon from Tahoe up to the Barker Pass cutoff and back down (granite stairs and boulders, roots and rocks). That’s as rugged as anything I’ll be doing.

All that being said, when the Michelins wear out and need replacement, the whole landscape opens up and I’ll look at all my options at that time. In the meantime, I spend a lot on the car already and don’t want to/need to invest in new tires to get what I need out of the LC.

93 octane E0, since almost new (first tank after I picked her up at the dealer with 7 miles on the odometer was 15 gal of 90 octane E0) stock Michelin’s, mixed two lane highway/in town driving. This was the dash the last time I filled up, right after I pulled away from the pump so another man could fill his vehicle, right before parking Miss Daisy and heading down to Florida to continue my packing to move to NC.

Attachments

• IMG_5940.jpeg
    IMG_5940.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I’m slowly creeping up. Ive been at 22-23 lately. All suburban or hwy driving so far. About 1800 miles in.

More useless data: I averaged 17 MPG on the Labor Day weekend camping trip: 300mi, mostly interstate 70+ mph, loaded with 4 bikes on the hitch rack and a roof cargo box. 91 octane, elevation 2500-7000ft with constant ups and downs on the entire drive.

(At4w SL tires)

Total average is around 18mpg after 1500mi.

I was stuck at 17mpg on average used - it’s slowly creeped up to 19 and 20.
However when I shut the car off and look at only the trip - I’ve been 17 to 23. So today 35mpg to 55 mpg on a short trip -

Attachments

• IMG_9248.jpeg
    IMG_9248.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 35
I was stuck at 17mpg on average used - it’s slowly creeped up to 19 and 20.
However when I shut the car off and look at only the trip - I’ve been 17 to 23. So today 35mpg to 55 mpg on a short trip -
I was so shocked …😵

I'm clocking in at 17.2 mpg. 700 miles on ODM, I drive like a grandma, I have only put in premium gas, stock wheels, in ECO mode 100% of the time. What gives???? I should be at minimum getting 22 mpg. I wouldn't really care all that much except the tank is tiny...15 gallons. I only get a range of 280 miles per fill.
I was getting similar numbers and at about 1,000 miles I reset and it started recalculating my average mpg. Then it went up and is at 20.1 so not there yet but a little better. I will have to agree that the tiny gas tank is probably my biggest legit complaint. Other complaints that are non legit are I wish it had and miss the split tail gate that I have on my 96 80 series. So iconic that Im surprised they didn't keep that like they did with the roll down window in the back of the new 4Runner that is coming out for 2025. Obviously not a deal breaker because I bought and love my new Heritage Blue (LC Trim). I wonder if we can eventually get a larger or secondary tank installed from the aftermarket.

Back