Does anyone actually get the posted 22/24 mpg?

Would be nice if everyone hand calculated to make sure the numbers they are reporting from the LC computer reflects reality.

In the other thread I posted about collecting all reported mpgs there and in the smaller IH8MUD thread on the same topic. I’ve continued to update that from these threads and a few other sources. 21 mpg is still the most common answer, and is also the mean and median. There is a bump around 17-18 mpg but no obvious single factor like trim or tires for those folks. Plenty of folks with E load tires getting mpgs in the 20’s.
IMG_5648.jpeg

Seems as if only folks getting close to that are stock 1958.

I have a stock first edition with 3k miles and I average 20mpg.

Have noticed that mileage is incrementally getting better as I get more mileage.

I live in San Diego and don’t drive particularly conservative so I’m pretty happy with this.
This is shocking to me. Can’t get above 15 on my FE in texas.

In the other thread I posted about collecting all reported mpgs there and in the smaller IH8MUD thread on the same topic. I’ve continued to update that from these threads and a few other sources. 21 mpg is still the most common answer, and is also the mean and median. There is a bump around 17-18 mpg but no obvious single factor like trim or tires for those folks. Plenty of folks with E load tires getting mpgs in the 20’s.
View attachment 9057
Makes no sense. E load 33s on FTE can’t get above 15.2. Hardly drive it, coast as much as I can, only eco mode.

So ...... are you just looking at the computer numbers? On my Ford the computer is off. So is the speedometer.

Today I drove up and down the local mountain to go for a bike ride up there. It's about 3500ft up over 18mi. 11 MPG up, 60 MPG down.
I was doing the math in my head thinking "wow, that averages out to 35mpg! nice!!". But the math is of course much crueler than that - the average was actually 19mpg (total distance / total fuel used -> 36/1.9) :(

Just a good reminder that the most fuel saved is by improving the lowest numbers. e.g. 15 -> 20 is a substantially bigger jump than 25 -> 30 mpg.

Im in the 17mpg club on stock FE. No tricks have changed this and im almost at 2k miles.
becoming convinced some of us have a problem with our cars.

I’ve been between 23.8-24.4 with 1240 miles on the clock.
And that’s 50/50 city highway
Stock 1958
I am in the 21-25 area. 21 if I am doing a lot of highway, 25 just traveling around town. To get a real measurement people need to look at the trip info that shows on the screen when they turn off the truck.

Im in the 17mpg club on stock FE. No tricks have changed this and im almost at 2k miles.
becoming convinced some of us have a problem with our cars.
What does the trip info flash on the dash when you turn off the car? I am at 3300+- miles and I average anywhere from 21 - 25+- depending on if I go on the highway (I have a lead foot so get less MPG on the highway!)

I'm consistently getting 23.1 to 23.3 from tank to tank. I drive it around town, of course, but the majority of my mileage is accumulated driving back and forth from the Denver area (5280' elevation) over various passes (10,000 ' to 11,000') to places in the mountains (generally around 8,000') and back.

Naturally, the elevation changes take a toll on gas mileage when going up and help it when coming back down.

But I think the biggest impact on mileage is the speed I'm travelling. Most of those twisty, mountain, 2-lane roads are driven at around 55 miles per hour. I believe 55 - 60 mph puts the the LC in its "happy zone" as far as fuel mileage is concerned. It's fast enough to get over rolling resistence but slow enough to not generate too much wind resistence. And I'm sure the engine doesn't have to work hard to maintain that speed.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else gets better gas mileage when travelling long distances in the 55 - 60 mph speed range. Just to test that hypothesis, that is.

BTW, I'm driving an LCLC with stock wheels and tires (at 35# psi), premium fuel, ECO mode and cross bars removed.

Last edited:
I once had a 1996 4Runner, 4 cylinder, 5 speed and I got 23-25 mpg. 30 years later no improvement in mpg but I am sure the horsepower and torque have increased.

I'm clocking in at 17.2 mpg. 700 miles on ODM, I drive like a grandma, I have only put in premium gas, stock wheels, in ECO mode 100% of the time. What gives???? I should be at minimum getting 22 mpg. I wouldn't really care all that much except the tank is tiny...15 gallons. I only get a range of 280 miles per fill.
23.0 64/40 highway city. Typically 75ish on the highway. 1100 miles.

What does the trip info flash on the dash when you turn off the car? I am at 3300+- miles and I average anywhere from 21 - 25+- depending on if I go on the highway (I have a lead foot so get less MPG on the highway!)
My two city driving trips today were 15 and 16mpg.
Something definitely wrong with mine

Back