MPG

Though we can be guilty for being overly simplistic & unhelpful by saying, “learn to drive more efficiently”, we can be equally guilty by blaming Toyota or assuming a defective unit when we fail to achieve an EPA figure that we haven’t bothered to fully understand. It was that latter point that got under my skin and caused me to post a terse comment this morning.
We should save our rants for the evening after a couple beers instead of in the morning before coffee 🤣

I find the advice to drive differently somewhat troubling. Sure don't floor it all the time, etc. but beyond that I drive based on road and traffic conditions not gas mileage.

In my 4Runner that meant on an urban 50 mph road I needed 1/3-1/2 throttle to move with traffic when getting up to speed. My LC will do the same with only 1/8-1/4 at least that is how it feels, these are obviously not scientific measurements 🤣.

My 4Runner was bad on gas, probably 15 mpg combined. My 1958 is much better in the low 20s. But my point is don't take some of the advice to crawl along or glide to a stop or you will be an annoyance on the road!

Sure. I don’t plan to drive like an mpg extremist either.

But the EPA City test does employ an extremely conservative driving style. And a number of forum members (but not me) have complained because they are not achieving the posted city and / or combined rating. It is those individuals who should drive differently (or accept that their results will not match the rating).

Nothing to it….just depends on how you drive and where you drive along with being stock etc…
At 1500 miles I’m still at 24.1 MPG
Haven’t been lower than 23.4. Stock 1958 with the roof rack
And I do think where are driving makes a huge difference. If I go One Direction with many more hills, it doesn’t matter how many decent I take the minute I start climbing the next hill. My gas mileage goes down and doesn’t ever seem to truly recover compared to hanging a right & take another route with way more level flatter roads I have been seeing an increase of mileage every single time

I fully agree. Has been a very surprising and disappointing experience for me with Toyota. My 2024 Land Cruiser has done under 500 miles, mostly local driving, getting about 14mpg. First Toyota service dealer saw the issue but had no answer. The second dealer test drove on the highway, got over 20mpg and proclaimed no issue even though doing no local driving. I wrote to Toyota to complain that either their 23/25 mpg claim is false, or my Hybrid is defective in local driving. I received a corporate style, dismissive letter in reply, proclaiming there is no issue. Will be interesting to see whether magically the software transforms the hybrid performance at 1,000 miles. But so far, has been very disappointing dealing with Toyota.
I get what you’re saying- my son had a 2020 Toyota Camry and right off the bat brand new, It was getting 31 MPG. Falling right within what was stated on the sticker. Then in July bought my son a brand new 2024 Toyota 4Runner and once again right out of the gates it was 17 to 19 and most of the time 18 MPG’s for the first 1200 miles that I drove it to break it in properly. Which is again, just as the sticker stated. So many people can get mad, but I think it is appropriate to think that you should get somewhere near the stated MPG on the sticker. I was very disappointed with the LCMPG (but had no intentions of getting rid of it, just rather live with it because I love ❤️ my LC )but I have seen them improving. I have learned how to drive it. I do watch my gauges and I do fill it up with 93 octane. I do notice a huge difference on where I drive verses how I drive in general. Good luck -everybody has the right to be happy or sad about something with the LC. I understand your disappointment. I do hope yours improves. As many of ours have.

"It ain't the arrows, it's the Indian."

All of our LCs are, for mpg purposes, virtually identical. Lots of owners, including me, have consistently averaged 23+ mpg since purchasing their LC. You can too, I bet.

I wonder what kind of mileage we'd get if we swapped cars. My bet would be that the high mileage driver would get the same high mileage and the low milage driver would get the same low mileage.

It reminds me of an old saying they have in motorcycle racing. "Four guys set out to race, one each on a Honda, a Kawasaki, a Yamaha and a Suzuki. Who will win? Answer: The fast guy."

I don't want to start a flame war. But getting the most mpgs out of a hybrid does require a modification to your driving habits. It may have something to do with break-in period, too, but I think there are plenty of people here that have gotten 23+ mpgs from day one, simply because they've driven hybrids before or they know how to drive for better mileage.

And I do think where are driving makes a huge difference. If I go One Direction with many more hills, it doesn’t matter how many decent I take the minute I start climbing the next hill. My gas mileage goes down and doesn’t ever seem to truly recover compared to hanging a right & take another route with way more level flatter roads I have been seeing an increase of mileage every single time
So in the spirit of giving more information. I have an LC FE. It still has its original stock things including roof rack and its original tire wheel combo. I don’t really see a big difference with AC use or no use. I have some trouble in town with stopping and going I have the most trouble with climbing hills. It sucks it all the way down and it takes forever just to gain even one MPG back when I’m descending. If there is any kind of an incline whatsoever, my gas mileage struggles. As soon as I am on a country road with no real traffic and I am able to drive anywhere between 40 and 60 miles an hour, and the roads are fairly flat my MPG have done nothing but climb. I’ve been very excited to see how they have been climbing since I bought my car in July. I now have just a little over 2000 miles on it and did do an oil change at 1200 miles. I do use all 93 octane. Hopefully this is helpful to someone. I do try to watch my MPG line, the white one even more than my max gages. That seems to have helped me and kind of “taught me “my foot feed and how to drive. I truly do feel like most of my MPG have come from the terrain. Again everything on mine is stock.

Here’s a visualization of a 7-minute city/residential drive where I am absolutely trying my best to hypermile. (Just did 4 of them in a row and was thinking of you all 😄 averaged probably 11mph maybe!)

IMG_9367.jpeg

So got the LC FE July 4th. At this point it has 600 miles on the ODO. The MPG is at 14.3 MPG. The car gets driven once a week for a 40 mile commute (20 miles each way including 15 miles each way on the highway) May be some additional 4 to 10 mike trips thrown in there.
I have tried to drive it both ECO & Regular modes. Deliberately trying to increase MPG. It goes up by 0.1 to 0.2 and then comes right back down.

Now I also own a 2024 Final Edition Jeep Rubicon 392 (6.4L 500 HP/lbft) with 2K miles on the ODO.
and 2021 MB G63 AMG (Hand built twin turbo V8, 588 HP) approx 2K on the ODO.
Both these high performance, heavy V8 SUVs average approx 14 MPG.

What is wrong with this picture. My understanding is this HYBRID LC IS supposed to do 22 to 25 MPG.

Please advise, I am baffled.
Best,
Sam
I am assuming you fill up your LC with premium gas?

Definitely the driving style will play a huge bit into MPG. I'm coming from (and still have) my BRZ and 3-series. I don't drive like a nut, but I ain't grandma, either. Carrying that driving style over to the LC, I'm getting 18.7 after 12 tanks (post break-in). On paper, it's doing the same mileage (as in exactly 18.7; 4-yr average) as my now-sold '11 E63 AMG with its whopping 6.2 M156.

But somehow - because I love how the power is delivered and how the rest of the truck is equally nice - I don't seem to mind this type of mpg this time around.

18.7MPG and loving it!
1725589075833.jpeg

I have a LC, LC w/Premium. 18" wheels, stock. I filled up with 91 and live in Downtown LA - lots of stop and go's at lights, traffic, etc.

First tank drove like an absolute grandma, eco-mode. I avg'd 20, dash was showing 18.5. Second tank I drove a little heavier, normal mode - hit 18.5, dash was showing 17 (second tank was almost all highway miles to and from san diego going 85)

Does anyone live in LA? I'm dealing with traffic lights roughly every 100-500 ft, so I'd assume if I lived in the country it would be way better.

I have the LC LC Prem. with stock 18" tires, no roof crossbars. LC has been in "normal" mode entire time running 91 octane. I have never reset the MPG average. I live at 9000ft. and must drive 25 miles to town which is downhill the whole trip. Conversely, it's 2500ft. uphill back home. I've only used A/C once - since it's always cool where I live. I drive with spirit - let's say.
At @ 500 miles I'm getting 24.6 MPG.

Attachments

• IMG_7544.jpg
    IMG_7544.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 30
Here’s a visualization of a 7-minute city/residential drive where I am absolutely trying my best to hypermile. (Just did 4 of them in a row and was thinking of you all 😄 averaged probably 11mph maybe!)

View attachment 10687
That's exactly what my 8 minute commute looks like both ways. Horrible to start and steadily increases. Does efficiency improve as the engine warms up?

I have a LC, LC w/Premium. 18" wheels, stock. I filled up with 91 and live in Downtown LA - lots of stop and go's at lights, traffic, etc.

First tank drove like an absolute grandma, eco-mode. I avg'd 20, dash was showing 18.5. Second tank I drove a little heavier, normal mode - hit 18.5, dash was showing 17 (second tank was almost all highway miles to and from san diego going 85)

Does anyone live in LA? I'm dealing with traffic lights roughly every 100-500 ft, so I'd assume if I lived in the country it would be way better.
I live in Greater LA, not the downtown core, but I do a lot of stop and go city driving. There have been some flashes of brilliance, but for the most part I'm about where you are when I'm running errands.

I notice my mileage improves after 6 or 7 miles. It's been pretty good on the highway. It's still better than my LX.

It's not that the gas mileage doesn't matter to me, but I've just decided to enjoy the car and peak out of curiosity every now and again.

Attachments

• IMG_1929.jpeg
    IMG_1929.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 23
It's not that the gas mileage doesn't matter to me, but I've just decided to enjoy the car and peak out of curiosity every now and again.
Ha - without this thread and the 20 other ones just like it, I'm not sure I'd be paying that close of attention to it. But since my hunt/purchase focus is over, it's something else to stay interested in! and I'm with you on just enjoying the ride!

That's exactly what my 8 minute commute looks like both ways. Horrible to start and steadily increases. Does efficiency improve as the engine warms up?
The catalytic converter has to get to a certain, pretty high, temperature in order to do its job. As a result, the engine will run continuously until the cat gets up to that temp.

Short drives, therefore, make minimal (or no) use of the hybrid system because the engine needs to run continuously. That has a much greater impact on mileage in full hybrids (like the Prius, etc) but does have some effect on mpgs in "mild hybrids" like the LC.

The catalytic converter has to get to a certain, pretty high, temperature in order to do its job. As a result, the engine will run continuously until the cat gets up to that temp.

Short drives, therefore, make minimal (or no) use of the hybrid system because the engine needs to run continuously. That has a much greater impact on mileage in full hybrids (like the Prius, etc) but does have some effect on mpgs in "mild hybrids" like the LC.
Ah that is super helpful to know and understand... thx

Back