Does anyone actually get the posted 22/24 mpg?

I’m also averaging around 17mpg after 1,200 miles and very light footed driving. LC LC trim w/20” wheels. I submitted a ticket to Toyota at the link above.

Seems as if only folks getting close to that are stock 1958.

I have a stock first edition with 3k miles and I average 20mpg.

Have noticed that mileage is incrementally getting better as I get more mileage.

I live in San Diego and don’t drive particularly conservative so I’m pretty happy with this.
While certainly not the same engine, my '07 Tundra continued to improve mileage-wise up until around 300,000 km. Just kept getting better as time went on. It has plateaued now, possibly gotten a bit worse now that I have almost 600,000 km on it.

Just passed 500 miles and noticed the electric motor only has kicked in more at higher speeds. I can be doing 30 on a level road and run on battery only. 20 mile in town trip this morning and averaged 25 mpg. It's a cool morning so no air, which does help.

22.4 mpg driving back from trails today, 55mph two lane highway in the foothills of NC. 160 miles on odometer.

Not a long trip, but definitely getting good mileage on the highway. In normal mode. I do not have a heavy foot.

PXL_20240824_040943814 (1).jpg

I'm consistently getting 23.1 to 23.3 from tank to tank. I drive it around town, of course, but the majority of my mileage is accumulated driving back and forth from the Denver area (5280' elevation) over various passes (10,000 ' to 11,000') to places in the mountains (generally around 8,000') and back.

Naturally, the elevation changes take a toll on gas mileage when going up and help it when coming back down.

But I think the biggest impact on mileage is the speed I'm travelling. Most of those twisty, mountain, 2-lane roads are driven at around 55 miles per hour. I believe 55 - 60 mph puts the the LC in its "happy zone" as far as fuel mileage is concerned. It's fast enough to get over rolling resistence but slow enough to not generate too much wind resistence. And I'm sure the engine doesn't have to work hard to maintain that speed.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else gets better gas mileage when travelling long distances in the 55 - 60 mph speed range. Just to test that hypothesis, that is.

BTW, I'm driving an LCLC with stock wheels and tires (at 35# psi), premium fuel, ECO mode and cross bars removed.
Yes you are correct. The aerodynamic force varies as the square of vehicle speed (relative speed of air and LC) and is the dominant force. For example MPG at 20 mph would be very close to 16/4=4 times greater than what you get at 40 mph.

Only 200 miles on it and just did 21.9 mpg on my commute with new 275 tires on the factory 20 rims. Could not be happier Coming from my 2016 tundra that would average 13- 14 mph on the same route. Mostly highway but heavy traffic average speed probably 60 to 65 mph. Very happy can’t wait to see what it does in a couple thousand miles.

I’m at six tanks of gas and averaging mid 16 mpg. I did put 31 in BFGs on. Drive like a grandma. Going to need to add back up fuel cans if I go on long adventures due to the very short range.

I'm clocking in at 17.2 mpg. 700 miles on ODM, I drive like a grandma, I have only put in premium gas, stock wheels, in ECO mode 100% of the time. What gives???? I should be at minimum getting 22 mpg. I wouldn't really care all that much except the tank is tiny...15 gallons. I only get a range of 280 miles per fill.
I just did a long road trip in my 1958 which was heavily loaded and on stock tires. I averaged between 24-26 mpg on secondary roads at 60-75k across plains and Rockies. We played with lots of settings and monitored fuel mileage. Here are my additional observations:
1. Going up any type of hill drinks lots of gas.
2. Ironically, sport mode got way better fuel economy than eco mode. We put about 1k miles in each mode. I only have a guess as to why but we attributed it to more efficient acceleration when demanded - less time with accelerator depressed.
3. Headwinds were a debit of 1 to 1.5 mpg.
4. Yes to the previous comment re shorter trips are not efficient at all. Trips over 10 miles get 19-21 mpg. Trips less than that vary considerably.
5. Yes to the post with the screen shot of the fuel economy graph which can be accessed in the settings/car info screen on the infotainment screen. This really helped us understand what influenced results. On some highway sections we had short term bursts of 40+ mpg.
6. Range was consistently in the high 300s of miles for this long trip but not the 400 mile range promised.

I just did a long road trip in my 1958 which was heavily loaded and on stock tires. I averaged between 24-26 mpg on secondary roads at 60-75k across plains and Rockies. We played with lots of settings and monitored fuel mileage. Here are my additional observations:
1. Going up any type of hill drinks lots of gas.
2. Ironically, sport mode got way better fuel economy than eco mode. We put about 1k miles in each mode. I only have a guess as to why but we attributed it to more efficient acceleration when demanded - less time with accelerator depressed.
3. Headwinds were a debit of 1 to 1.5 mpg.
4. Yes to the previous comment re shorter trips are not efficient at all. Trips over 10 miles get 19-21 mpg. Trips less than that vary considerably.
5. Yes to the post with the screen shot of the fuel economy graph which can be accessed in the settings/car info screen on the infotainment screen. This really helped us understand what influenced results. On some highway sections we had short term bursts of 40+ mpg.
6. Range was consistently in the high 300s of miles for this long trip but not the 400 mile range promised.
I wonder if sport mode utilizes the hybrid battery more for torque making it more fuel efficient?

I'm clocking in at 17.2 mpg. 700 miles on ODM, I drive like a grandma, I have only put in premium gas, stock wheels, in ECO mode 100% of the time. What gives???? I should be at minimum getting 22 mpg. I wouldn't really care all that much except the tank is tiny...15 gallons. I only get a range of 280 miles per fill.
I get 22 in town and about 350 miles per tank

My mpg has been at 16.4, hasn't moved from that number in a month and 1300 miles.

I am getting 25 mpg. I keep on eco mode. I have LC with premium package. Tires are stock 18 inch. Stock blackish wheels. 87 octane gas. Total odometer 1500 miles. Southern California.

The fuel tanks are 17.9 gallons, according to specs in manual. I am averaging 19.44 MPG, after 2 possible real world calculations (see attached chart). I use Eco mode, premium fuel and 80% city driving, with heavy A/C usage as it's been a hot summer. I also have it idling in driveway a lot of time, as I'm am getting familiar with the menus and settings.

Attachments

• MPG.JPG
    MPG.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 27
I started around 16-17 for the first thousand miles. I was a bit concerned. I’m at 3200 miles now and I have been getting 23-25 very consistently.

I have a LC trim with 20” wheels.

Mine has been going up with every tank (started at about 18mpg). Currently at 24.9 mpg on the display, at the pump my calculation shows ~24.75mpg so seems to be pretty accurate on the LC. My driving is ~70/30 highway/city. Stock 20" wheels/tires.

Back