The hybrid that can't...

Just got an update that Toyota is ordering a short block and it's on order for a September 13th-15th arrival. I just asked again if there was a determination on what the issue was. Waiting to hear back still.

I'll let you know. Hoping the 3.0L raptor engine is a little better built. No engine issue on my 2.7L Bronco I had. 33K miles tho before I got rid of it.

I plan on changing fluids more often than recommended. I think that's what you were suggesting.
Thanks for the update! Do you know what they did with the other 3 LCs that has the same noise?

Thanks for the update! Do you know what they did with the other 3 LCs that has the same noise?

1724089119638.jpeg

Just my opinion, this motor should never have been torn apart. Sounds like an uninformed tech, or a dealer eager for warranty work.
How did you come to that conclusion. What if the tech called Toyota and their Engineer told the tech to tear it apart. Just curious on what information you have that would lead you to determine it was the wrong thing to do. Unless you are working there I don’t know how you can come to that conclusion.

How did you come to that conclusion. What if the tech called Toyota and their Engineer told the tech to tear it apart. Just curious on what information you have that would lead you to determine it was the wrong thing to do. Unless you are working there I don’t know how you can come to that conclusion.
It’s not a conclusion. It’s an opinion. I have the same opinion based on the fact that they really haven’t given you any answers on why they are doing what they are doing. I think they’re in too deep and trying to cover up their tracks. And also, I have not read of anyone else having any sort of problems with this engine.

Also, I’m curious about your buyback. Did it happen yet or is it in process or what?

It’s not a conclusion. It’s an opinion. I have the same opinion based on the fact that they really haven’t given you any answers on why they are doing what they are doing. I think they’re in too deep and trying to cover up their tracks. And also, I have not read of anyone else having any sort of problems with this engine.

Also, I’m curious about your buyback. Did it happen yet or is it in process or what?
There’s multiple people that have the same sound when engine is cold. I just took mine in for it.

Buy back is a go. I just today gave them my financing institution. Account number and sales contract (even though they said they had it in the last email). Supposedly it takes 30 days for everything to go through.

I also have a Powerstroke- noises are normal- As long as the LC starts when I push the button, I’m happy. I could care less about ticks, clicks and suction sounds. Normal for modern engines and their delivery systems.

I also have a Powerstroke- noises are normal- As long as the LC starts when I push the button, I’m happy. I could care less about ticks, clicks and suction sounds. Normal for modern engines and their delivery systems.
In my opinion. What I was hearing was not “normal”. Loud direct injection is one thing. I think majority of yall are confused on the sound it was making. If it sounds like a shitbox going down the road then it’s not for me (sounds like a bad head gasket). Especially when it cost $70k. Ffs, if this turns out to be something “normal” they need to fire their product engineers. Nobody wants to pay 70 grand for it to sound like you have a warped head going down the road.

In my opinion. What I was hearing was not “normal”. Loud direct injection is one thing. I think majority of yall are confused on the sound it was making. If it sounds like a shitbox going down the road then it’s not for me (sounds like a bad head gasket). Especially when it cost $70k. Ffs, if this turns out to be something “normal” they need to fire their product engineers. Nobody wants to pay 70 grand for it to sound like you have a warped head going down the road.
I don't think anybody is doubting the sound you heard or how bad it was...........

I don't think anybody is doubting the sound you heard or how bad it was...........
When people make statements about their trucks make certain noises and they are concerned when they don’t hear things or “as long as the LC starts when I push the button”. Makes it seem like I’m trying to make something out of nothing. That’s all. Comes off weird. Maybe everyone has the best intentions. 🙂

When people make statements about their trucks make certain noises and they are concerned when they don’t hear things or “as long as the LC starts when I push the button”. Makes it seem like I’m trying to make something out of nothing. That’s all. Comes off weird. Maybe everyone has the best intentions. 🙂
In my opinion, I do not think you are trying to make something out of nothing. But in my opinion, I think the stealership did make something out of a possible nothing and now they are just covering their tracks.I always question the abilities of the service department at any stealership.

A couple employees may impress me, but most of them Cross thread the bolts on the skid plates. I have a 2012 FJ cruiser that had all its maintenance done at various Toyota stealerships. I bought it used with 200,000 miles on it and I’m horrified at the stuff I’m seeing that was maintained or not maintained. Just saying.

If I had to take a scientific wild ass guess the noise while cold has something to do with emissions systems, or the hybrid system. Maybe some sort of wastegate setting to bypass the turbine and get hot exhaust to the catalyst to warm it up faster etc.

If they all make a similar noise it’s probably normal. An exhaust leak will usually smell, and cause check engine lights as the O2 sensors don’t detect the amount of emissions they should based on the readings from ambient air pressure sensors and the mass air flow or mass air density sensor on the intake.

My guess, as an R&D guy, is the techs heard a strange sound and called Toyota and it got to an R&D guy like me who (especially after all the engine problems they've had recently) really wanted to tear it apart and figure out what was going on and if it's an issue or not and is probably kind of oblivious to the rest of the world. Because if they let me I'll do that with some misbehaving thing and tell them to just give the customer another one. "That's weird, I've never seen that before. Can you ship it to me?"

Ultimately, we all are somewhat biased here since non of us wants to have engine issues on a brand new vehicle :) This causes opinions about this not being an issue to get traction.

My main criticism of this being an cylinder issue is that the "frequency" of the noise seems to be too slow to be a cylinder issue. Like of you are hearing the noise at 1000RPM, the cylinder 1 would me making 2000 strokes per minute, or about 33 strokes per second. Even if we say the noise only occurs in power strokes, there would still be 8 per second (which would sound like rattling). But yet again, my opinion is probably biased as explained above.

Honestly, I wouldn’t know WHAT is normal with these engines.

X 💯 🎯

This whole thing sucks dirty pond water..

Just rolled down my window tonight on a short drive and heard this exact noise. I have 1,300 miles on my LC LC Premium and just had the first oil change done last week at a Jiffy Lube so I didn’t see the oil or have a reason to ask to see it as I hadn’t read this thread until tonight. I’m guessing it’s been making this noise for a while and I just hadn’t noticed it before because I haven’t been driving with the window down very often while the engine is warming up.

My VIN has a 5 after the R so that would mean mine is built at Tahara.

I’m gonna monitor this thread and wait to take it into my Toyota dealership till we know a little more and/or I take it in for my 5,000 mile oil change.

I really hope it’s nothing super concerning or major. I love my LC too much to have to do something major like get a replacement or something else.

Fingers crossed we get some clarity soon….for all of our sanity 🫠

Last edited:
Back