Super Confused in Fuel needed for 2024 Land Cruiser.

It's been beaten to death in this thread......

Bottom Line: Toyota specifies 91 octane in the owners manual. I along with others are under the opinion, that it's grey......... I plan on running the low octane unless it starts knocking, then I'll move up a grade. I'm sure others will chime in again, but at the end of the day it's your money, your decision.
Agree

So, I haven't read through all 4 pages of this thread but did find this article that seems to put a good argument forward as to why Toyota recommends higher octane for LC than Taco. Specifically, here's the section related to the fuel:

1719957986135.png

This also speaks to another discussion in another thread about whether they will have a Trailhunter trim Land Cruiser similar to the Tacoma and 4Runner. The Land Cruiser has a global market with sometimes questionable fuel quality, whereas the Tacoma and 4Runner are focused on North American buyers where fuel quality is generally of a higher standard.

Before the flamethrowers start shooting my way, I'm just the messenger and don't have a dog in the fight. That being said, I have been running "regular" in my premium-only LX570 for 5 years with no issues that I can point to.

So, I haven't read through all 4 pages of this thread but did find this article that seems to put a good argument forward as to why Toyota recommends higher octane for LC than Taco. Specifically, here's the section related to the fuel:

View attachment 3826

This also speaks to another discussion in another thread about whether they will have a Trailhunter trim Land Cruiser similar to the Tacoma and 4Runner. The Land Cruiser has a global market with sometimes questionable fuel quality, whereas the Tacoma and 4Runner are focused on North American buyers where fuel quality is generally of a higher standard.

Before the flamethrowers start shooting my way, I'm just the messenger and don't have a dog in the fight. That being said, I have been running "regular" in my premium-only LX570 for 5 years with no issues that I can point to.
This makes a lot of sense to me. How else can you explain the same drivetrain but different gas recommendations?

FWIW... Not sure how many on the forum have watched "The Car Care Nut" Youtube channel, but the guy is a Toyota/Lexus master mechanic and seems to know what he's doing and have good advice. You can search his channel for "turbo" to hear what he has to say which is basically that you should use premium in order to not damage and maximize the life of your turbo. He also beats into you in numerous videos that you should change your oil every 5K miles or 6 months; especially with turbos.

Here is more detail from both the Land Cruiser 250 manual page and the Tacoma for comparison. Notice the only difference is the Land Cruiser manual states for optimum performance, use 91 octane. The Reseach Octane Number 96 is referring to how other countries outside of the United State measure their Octane number and Research Octane Number 91 for the Tacoma is referencing the same international measure. It's clear the Land Cruiser is tuned for optimal performance using 91 octane or higher but will run on 87. The Tacoma is tuned for 87 octane. Reduced performance will probably be seen in the Land Cruiser but it shouldn't hurt the vehicle as both of the manuals give the same minimum recommendation of ASTM D8418 in the USA. I think this is Toyota's definitive answer.

Land Cruiser 250:

View attachment 3398

Tacoma i-Force Max:

View attachment 3399
I not sure what the debate is here. It’s clearly documented in the Land Cruiser manual not to use fuel with an octane fuel lower than 91. The right hand column has the following information, it’s the second bullet, “if you use gasohol in your vehicle be sure it has an octane rating no lower than 91”. Most of us use gasohol in the US. Stupid is real too. Look up the definition, it’s not derogatory. Conjecture is the enemy and most embrace it openly.

Last edited:

View attachment 3826

So in summary, the theory goes… “Globally, put 91 octane in it and we figure that should get at least 87 even with crappy gas. In the USA, put 87 in it and it’ll probably actually be 87.”

The only thing that doesn’t make a lot of sense about this theory… it’s easy for them to print labels and manuals that are US specific, so they could have made it 87 for US vehicles and 91 everywhere else.

I agree that it’s puzzling why the Taco has different specs on the same drivetrain. There must be some answer.

So in summary, the theory goes… “Globally, put 91 octane in it and we figure that should get at least 87 even with crappy gas. In the USA, put 87 in it and it’ll probably actually be 87.”

The only thing that doesn’t make a lot of sense about this theory… it’s easy for them to print labels and manuals that are US specific, so they could have made it 87 for US vehicles and 91 everywhere else.

I agree that it’s puzzling why the Taco has different specs on the same drivetrain. There must be some answer.
Slightly diverting from the topic. Back in africa the owners manuals I have had were always had section for other countries but main content was always for North America and Europe. Some manuals had a small section under "other countries "

So .. not to start another WW.. the dealership filled my tank - forgot to ask them not to- and when I asked the salesman to find out, of course it was 87 - do I -
1. Attempt to siphon.
2. Immediately try to add premium to dilute as i drive and tank empties
3. Just wait till rank is empty and then fill

Note*. I was planning on using 91 in general or at least for the entire 1K break in

So .. not to start another WW.. the dealership filled my tank - forgot to ask them not to- and when I asked the salesman to find out, of course it was 87 - do I -
1. Attempt to siphon.

Note*. I was planning on using 91 in general or at least for the entire 1K break in
Anyone who answers - maybe just in the form of a “poll” so no one gets cranky 🤓

1. Attempt to siphon.

4) Make it their problem

1. Attempt to siphon.

You don’t need to drain it. Nothing is going to be damaged from occasionally running 87 octane. Hell, probably nothing will be damaged in the slightest from running 87 octane all the time. 91 octane or better is what they ask for and is best for longevity of the turbos. What’s the difference? Hell if I know, probably not massive.

Me, oil changes every 5K, 91 octane or better. I want to maximize min functional longevity. But I also don’t think the fuel difference is as important as the shorter duration oil changes.

You don’t need to drain it. Nothing is going to be damaged from occasionally running 87 octane. Hell, probably nothing will be damaged in the slightest from running 87 octane all the time. 91 octane or better is what they ask for and is best for longevity of the turbos. What’s the difference? Hell if I know, probably not massive.

Me, oil changes every 5K, 91 octane or better. I want to maximize min functional longevity. But I also don’t think the fuel difference is as important as the shorter duration oil changes.
So you’re running along the lines of option number three wait until the tank is empty, then refill

I agree. Except for the part about the longevity of the turbos, that made me laugh. Fuel doesn't even enter the system until past the turbo.

I agree. Except for the part about the longevity of the turbos, that made me laugh. Fuel doesn't even enter the system until past the turbo.
Ok I’m thinking ur saying let it empty and then fill - thanks for ur input!
I really am trying to get everyone’s thoughts

You could put an octane additive into the existing fuel - properly measured- and then not worry about it.

IMG_5116.png

I'll eventually go to regular 87 gas but for now during the break in period, premium.

It's actually not that bad to fill up, at Costco in my area, its $3.60 a gallon for Premium, and from "empty" its a 13-14 gallon fill up: $48-ish

Since the tank is smaller, it beats out filling my 4Runner which is usually $60+ even on regular.

tempImagepEVnm8.png

Back