Super Confused in Fuel needed for 2024 Land Cruiser.

I agree. Except for the part about the longevity of the turbos, that made me laugh. Fuel doesn't even enter the system until past the turbo.
My understanding was that it’s about overall engine strain but I don’t know how it relates exactly to the turbos, this is just what I was told.

I'll eventually go to regular 87 gas but for now during the break in period, premium.

It's actually not that bad to fill up, at Costco in my area, its $3.60 a gallon for Premium, and from "empty" its a 13-14 gallon fill up: $48-ish

Since the tank is smaller, it beats out filling my 4Runner which is usually $60+ even on regular.

View attachment 5426
Yeah I was definitely planning on Prem during break In. But I was excited after placing a deposit last Aug and FINALLY getting a LC .. I didn’t think abt telling them dnt fill it up I’ll do it ..I remembered rt when I got in and saw the full tank.. so now I worry.
That’s not bad ! Ik what u mean abt the 4 runner, I just bought my son 4 runner for MT relocation for grad school and I kept it for the 1K break I. And did prem.. it was costly !!

My understanding was that it’s about overall engine strain but I don’t know how it relates exactly to the turbos, this is just what I was told.
Thanks for all the input

Fair enough. My thinking is that lower octane fuel "could" result in early detonation in the combustion chamber. This "could" cause extra load on the piston, rings, and even the bottom end. (I say "could" because modern sophisticated electronic fuel and ignition controls do an amazing job of adding fuel and dialing back ignition timing to eliminate that - although not prevent it because it can't dial back until the knock sensor, etc. sense pre-ignition is occurring - which is normal and part of the cycle no matter what gasoline grade you burn).

I would put in some octane booster and run it. Maybe refuel with premium at 1/4 tank.

Yeah I was definitely planning on Prem during break In. But I was excited after placing a deposit last Aug and FINALLY getting a LC .. I didn’t think abt telling them dnt fill it up I’ll do it ..I remembered rt when I got in and saw the full tank.. so now I worry.
That’s not bad ! Ik what u mean abt the 4 runner, I just bought my son 4 runner for MT relocation for grad school and I kept it for the 1K break I. And did prem.. it was costly !!
They should have definitely filled it, but with Premium as the manual states. Gotta get your free tank when spending 70 grand!

My sales guy told me that Toyota Canada is different and that premium is not specified by them. I showed him the sticker inside the gas door that says Premium Fuel. He quickly shifted gears to saying yeah I guess for as little miles as you put on it's cheap insurance and he would buy premium.

Now my truck was sitting inside the showroom and the tank was already full. I know that it is the sales person's job to take it and fill the tank at my dealership. So what do you think was in my tank at delivery? I didn't ask. My salesperson is a great kid, I really like him, and I'm not losing any sleep over what might have been in the tank that I've already refilled twice with Premium 🤣

My sales guy told me that Toyota Canada is different and that premium is not specified by them. I showed him the sticker inside the gas door that says Premium Fuel. He quickly shifted gears to saying yeah I guess for as little miles as you put on it's cheap insurance and he would buy premium.

Now my truck was sitting inside the showroom and the tank was already full. I know that it is the sales person's job to take it and fill the tank at my dealership. So what do you think was in my tank at delivery? I didn't ask. My salesperson is a great kid, I really like him, and I'm not losing any sleep over what might have been in the tank that I've already refilled twice with Premium 🤣
Just more evidence that these sales people do not know what the hell they are talking about. In all honesty, we really don’t need these sales people. All we need is a secretary to do the paperwork.

I do agree on the general state of sales team members. In his defense my sales guy is generally well informed and I would say that he is actually an enthusiast. Sure he got this one wrong, or repeated questionable info that was given to him, but nobody is perfect 🤣. He's still my 1st call the next time I'm buying.

OP....... it's not going to hurt anything! Just fuel up when you normally do, you don't need to add any octane boost unless you just feel that you must. Everybody on this forum is just offering opinions, including me. I have owned many vehicles and very rarely fuel up with 91+, in certain conditions I'll use 91+ when I need to get all the power I can due to the circumstances.

OP....... it's not going to hurt anything! Just fuel up when you normally do, you don't need to add any octane boost unless you just feel that you must. Everybody on this forum is just offering opinions, including me. I have owned many vehicles and very rarely fuel up with 91+, in certain conditions I'll use 91+ when I need to get all the power I can due to the circumstances.
Love opinions, they never make mad

So .. not to start another WW.. the dealership filled my tank - forgot to ask them not to- and when I asked the salesman to find out, of course it was 87 - do I -
1. Attempt to siphon.
2. Immediately try to add premium to dilute as i drive and tank empties
3. Just wait till rank is empty and then fill

Note*. I was planning on using 91 in general or at least for the entire 1K break in
Please let us know if you can easily siphon the fuel from the tank. I want to empty my tank when I pick ‘Sadie’ (or ‘Daisy’, not sure yet) up on Wednesday, and fill it with 91-93 octane Ethanol Free fuel, since she will be parked while I complete my move from Florida. I’ve been told that some vehicles have devices to prevent siphoning. I’ve asked elsewhere before, but still haven’t heard anything in the way of an answer, does anyone know if Toyota’s initial ’fill’ at the assembly plant is ethanol free fuel, since these vehicles sometimes sit for months?

Last edited:
Please let us know if you can easily siphon the fuel from the tank. I want to empty my tank when I pick ‘Sadie’ (or ‘Daisy’, not sure yet) up on Wednesday, and fill it with 91-93 octane Ethanol Free fuel, since she will be parked while I complete my move from Florida. I’ve been told that some vehicles have devices to prevent siphoning. I’ve asked elsewhere before, but still haven’t heard anything in the way of an answer, does anyone know if Toyota’s initial ’fill’ at the assembly plant is ethanol free fuel, since these vehicles sometimes sit for months?
I guess I’ll go with masses on here and attempt to not worry abt it, or I may decide to use a small amount of additive. When I test drove it there wasn’t a lot of gas in it, and I meant to tell them to leave it that way before being distracted from that point on.

So .. not to start another WW.. the dealership filled my tank - forgot to ask them not to- and when I asked the salesman to find out, of course it was 87 - do I -
1. Attempt to siphon.
2. Immediately try to add premium to dilute as i drive and tank empties
3. Just wait till rank is empty and then fill

Note*. I was planning on using 91 in general or at least for the entire 1K break in
If you are worried go with option two or wait for option 3. I am assuming you are not planning to drive it hard, and if so go with option 3, and you will be fine.

If you are worried go with option two or wait for option 3. I am assuming you are not planning to drive it hard, and if so go with option 3, and you will be fine.
Nope, not driving it hard. Breaking it in nice and easy per “Toyota recommendations “

I guess I’ll go with masses on here and attempt to not worry abt it, or I may decide to use a small amount of additive. When I test drove it there wasn’t a lot of gas in it, and I meant to tell them to leave it that way before being distracted from that point on.
I’m just trying to get the E10 fuel out, if in fact it is in there, and put E0 back in its place, to prevent phase separation in the fuel system, since the LC will be parked for an extended period of time, while I finish moving to NC. This has NOTHING to do with the Octane of the fuel. Only Ethanol content in the fuel.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago at OverlandExpo PNW someone asked Marcus Umlauff about the fuel difference (the only 2025 4Runner Trailhunter in North America was right behind him) and he said he wasn’t sure, but would have the powertrain engineers come over and talk with us. They did, and said that the LC, as a heavier vehicle(?), was tuned differently than the Tacoma and 4Runner. They also admitted it would be expected to be used in places where only 87 is available and in that case if the engine detected knocking it would compensate appropriately.

As a side note, when my salesperson took me to fill the tank he asked me what grade I wanted and I pointed out the "Premium only" label. I don't fault him though - he reached out to me the instant they got the allocation.

Attachments

• IMG_8533.jpg
    IMG_8533.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 27
A few weeks ago at OverlandExpo PNW someone asked Marcus Umlauff about the fuel difference (the only 2025 4Runner Trailhunter in North America was right behind him) and he said he wasn’t sure, but would have the powertrain engineers come over and talk with us. They did, and said that the LC, as a heavier vehicle(?), was tuned differently than the Tacoma and 4Runner. They also admitted it would be expected to be used in places where only 87 is available and in that case if the engine detected knocking it would compensate appropriately.

As a side note, when my salesperson took me to fill the tank he asked me what grade I wanted and I pointed out the "Premium only" label. I don't fault him though - he reached out to me the instant they got the allocation.
I mean identical engine/powertrains do not necessarily use use the same compression profile. Turbo on the LC may be tuned to be more aggressive compared to Tacoma and 4runner, which would necessitate higher octane . Also, the user manual clearly states that using non-premium can damage the engine, so I don't think it is purely for performance (page 641).

1721693955369.png

Back