Super Confused in Fuel needed for 2024 Land Cruiser.

It's been beaten to death in this thread......

Bottom Line: Toyota specifies 91 octane in the owners manual. I along with others are under the opinion, that it's grey......... I plan on running the low octane unless it starts knocking, then I'll move up a grade. I'm sure others will chime in again, but at the end of the day it's your money, your decision.
Agree

So, I haven't read through all 4 pages of this thread but did find this article that seems to put a good argument forward as to why Toyota recommends higher octane for LC than Taco. Specifically, here's the section related to the fuel:

1719957986135.png

This also speaks to another discussion in another thread about whether they will have a Trailhunter trim Land Cruiser similar to the Tacoma and 4Runner. The Land Cruiser has a global market with sometimes questionable fuel quality, whereas the Tacoma and 4Runner are focused on North American buyers where fuel quality is generally of a higher standard.

Before the flamethrowers start shooting my way, I'm just the messenger and don't have a dog in the fight. That being said, I have been running "regular" in my premium-only LX570 for 5 years with no issues that I can point to.

So, I haven't read through all 4 pages of this thread but did find this article that seems to put a good argument forward as to why Toyota recommends higher octane for LC than Taco. Specifically, here's the section related to the fuel:

View attachment 3826

This also speaks to another discussion in another thread about whether they will have a Trailhunter trim Land Cruiser similar to the Tacoma and 4Runner. The Land Cruiser has a global market with sometimes questionable fuel quality, whereas the Tacoma and 4Runner are focused on North American buyers where fuel quality is generally of a higher standard.

Before the flamethrowers start shooting my way, I'm just the messenger and don't have a dog in the fight. That being said, I have been running "regular" in my premium-only LX570 for 5 years with no issues that I can point to.
This makes a lot of sense to me. How else can you explain the same drivetrain but different gas recommendations?

FWIW... Not sure how many on the forum have watched "The Car Care Nut" Youtube channel, but the guy is a Toyota/Lexus master mechanic and seems to know what he's doing and have good advice. You can search his channel for "turbo" to hear what he has to say which is basically that you should use premium in order to not damage and maximize the life of your turbo. He also beats into you in numerous videos that you should change your oil every 5K miles or 6 months; especially with turbos.

Back