Super Confused in Fuel needed for 2024 Land Cruiser.

I think I would follow the Manual recommendation of 91 instead of some TikTok land cruiser driver. Nowhere in this manual is the number 87 octane listed.

You have five posts on this form and I think you were just here to stir up stuff.

This topic has been settled. There is no clear answer and you could use whatever you want. Go away. moderators please close this thread as there is no additional information for this.
Nah, listen to TikTok bro, Toyota put that “premium only” sticker inside the gas cap as a prank. They are such tricksters.

"At minimum, the gasoline you use should meet the specifications of ASTM D4814 in the U.S.A."

Yes, 87 gasoline meets this minimum.

Close this thread? This is all good discussion as far as I'm concerned. I'm also "not trying to stir the pot." I'm simply new here and participating in a couple threads already.

"At minimum, the gasoline you use should meet the specifications of ASTM D4814 in the U.S.A."

Close this thread? This is all good discussion as far as I'm concerned. I'm also "not trying to stir the pot." I'm simply new here and participating in a couple threads already.
Yes, but the standard doesn't say the minimum is 87. As far as I remember it only deals with how to calculate octane, what the fuel can and cannot contain, additives etc. Its been awhile since I had access so I could be misremembering but I think I'm close.

So what I think toyota is saying is 91 and meet the standards

I do not think ASTM D4814 regulates octane number. The only thing it may regulate is how the fuel is labeled, as in you cannot label 88 octane as premium etc.

Let's try another way:

ASTM D4814 = fuel standards. Octane rating is separate from that and is just a test. That test produces a number by which then that allows that gas to go into the appropriate gas tank at a station.

Similar comparison.: Milk has a federal standard. Milk also comes in Non fat, 2% & whole.

All auto fuel sold in the US meets the standards set out in ASTM D4814 (summer gas, winter gas, etc).

Therefore, the manual says that 87 gas meets the minimum standard required for LC.

But premium gas is preferred for optimal performance.

All auto fuel sold in the US meets the standards set out in ASTM D4814 (summer gas, winter gas, etc).

Therefore, the manual says that 87 gas meets the minimum standard required for LC.

But premium gas is preferred for optimal performance.
Premium only must mean you cannot use “super”. Oh and don’t forget no diesel Toyota doesn’t want us to use diesel.

Get a bronco, ha!!!! I got one for my daughter, a bronco sport, cool vehicle. The LC needs premium, it is really that big a deal? Some of these threads are getting old, go ahead and hate me. I love ❤️ my LC, stock underground for now. Looking at all the goodies out now, and coming soon! 🙃🤓🥸🥳🥳

Most modern gasoline engines have knock sensors but not so you can run a lower octane (it allows it but wasn't designed for that purpose) Knock sensors allow the ECM to retard timing as much as possible to maintain the power band for the driving at hand to increase fuel economy. When the sensor(s) detect a knock they tell the ECU to increase timing until the knock goes away, thus maintaining the power band etc.......... The vehicle doesn't know what the octane level is for the fuel that's in the tank, it just knows "X" fuel, obtain engine parameters (speed, torque, air density, pedal position and a lot of other inputs) , retard timing and determine if a knock condition exists......... if not, retard timing etc...... once it gets a knock increase timing ............. all of which takes place within one or two firing cycles...... rinse and repeat.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? As in...

Knock sensors allow the ECM to ADVANCE timing as much as possible to maintain the power band for the driving at hand to increase fuel economy. When the sensor(s) detect a knock they tell the ECU to DECREASE timing until the knock goes away, thus maintaining the power band etc.......... The vehicle doesn't know what the octane level is for the fuel that's in the tank, it just knows "X" fuel, obtain engine parameters (speed, torque, air density, pedal position and a lot of other inputs) , ADVANCE timing and determine if a knock condition exists......... if not, ADVANCE timing etc...... once it gets a knock DECREASE timing

Just keep in mind those following the “premium fuel” guidelines can’t put larger tires on their vehicles. You can’t cherry pick the guidelines to follow.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? As in...

Knock sensors allow the ECM to ADVANCE timing as much as possible to maintain the power band for the driving at hand to increase fuel economy. When the sensor(s) detect a knock they tell the ECU to DECREASE timing until the knock goes away, thus maintaining the power band etc.......... The vehicle doesn't know what the octane level is for the fuel that's in the tank, it just knows "X" fuel, obtain engine parameters (speed, torque, air density, pedal position and a lot of other inputs) , ADVANCE timing and determine if a knock condition exists......... if not, ADVANCE timing etc...... once it gets a knock DECREASE timing
You are correct, Increasing timing will provide more power, decreasing timing will produce less power increasing economy, which one the ECU does first, IDK

I've run regular unleaded 87 in our Acura MDX with negligible difference in mileage or performance and it says the same thing as the LC with Premium fuel only. Waiting on our LC to arrive at dealer and plan to test it once I'm past the initial break in period. Modern engines can adjust the timing. Think about when traveling to different altitudes and lower octane fuel is offered. Modern engines need to be able to operate under different conditions and adapt to different environments. Premium is what the MPG and optimal performance numbers for torque and HP are based on. Should be okay to run regular as the Tacoma with the same engine runs on 87 but it won't be operating at its peak/optimal performance.
I am running premium but. When I owned the FJ Cruiser it also said Premium. I ran 87 and mid grade in it and never once had an issue. You may not see optimal MPG. But what Trailman said is true of newer engines.

Back