In or around Indiana and want a larger fuel tank?

GX with side mounts. Seems like RotoPAX is scalable and could be more flexible enabling a mix of fuel, water, or accessories depending on the scenario.

Anybody have any experience with them and approximate costs? I would assume about $300-$400 per panel plus $100 per container.

View attachment 15009
Hey everyone. If folks are asking about a Rotopax solution, I saw @PACruiser post a picture of a GX550 with side panels. I’d like to put in my 2 cents. The factory rack kinda sucks so we switched ours out for one from UpTop Overland. The cost of the Kilo Rack is $999 and indeed the Molle Panels they sell are $350 per side.

We have those installed on our setup and right now it’s only holding one Rotopax for the diesel heater fuel, but I could easily add a second next to it if I moved the location a bit and with stacking I can have an additional 9 gallons gas with the 2 gallons we have of diesel

I highly recommend the UpTop hardware! We have a TopOak hard top tent and an OVS 270° awning installed on ours and it’s doing great.

We took it out to Rampart Range CO this past weekend for a shakedown and sanity check, there’s some terrible washboard going through that road and anything that’s loose tends to shake off. This all held on like a champ!

I am still wondering about upgrading the tank though, so I’ll keep that in mind for the future. Anyone know if the diesel 29 gallon tank would work for ours? I don’t know the differences between diesel and gas tanks on the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0262.jpeg
    IMG_0262.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hey everyone. If folks are asking about a Rotopax solution, I saw @PACruiser post a picture of a GX550 with side panels. I’d like to put in my 2 cents. The factory rack kinda sucks so we switched ours out for one from UpTop Overland. The cost of the Kilo Rack is $999 and indeed the Molle Panels they sell are $350 per side.

We have those installed on our setup and right now it’s only holding one Rotopax for the diesel heater fuel, but I could easily add a second next to it if I moved the location a bit and with stacking I can have an additional 6 gallons gas with the 2 gallons we have of diesel

I highly recommend their hardware. We have a TopOak hard top tent and an OVS 270° awning installed on ours and it’s doing great.

We took it out to Rampart Range CO this past weekend for a shakedown and sanity check, there’s some terrible washboard going through that road and anything that’s loose tends to shake off. This all held on like a champ!

I am still wondering about upgrading the tank though, so I’ll keep that in mind for the future. Anyone know if the diesel 29 gallon tank would work for ours? I don’t know the differences between diesel and gas tanks on the inside.
Just a guess here ......... Transmission/Xfer case on the diesel is a smaller package.

My days of getting in my car and driving 450 miles non stop are long gone.
Same, but it’s nice to get 300, or if off-roading more than 150. With the mods we’ve done, 300 is long gone 😅.

Last edited:
For me it's the distance between fuel stations, most of the time it's not an issue, but there's a few stretch's between AL and MD that's real sketchy after dark. I'm a leave at 3 in the morning traveler.
Same. Left at 3 am the other day coming back from Colorado after testing it out on some trails and having an extra 150 mile range would be nice at times. Patiently waiting to see what options come along. Not in a hurry to jump at the first option.

For me it's the distance between fuel stations, most of the time it's not an issue, but there's a few stretch's between AL and MD that's real sketchy after dark. I'm a leave at 3 in the morning traveler.
Same here. I don't mind stopping now and again, but I usually don't want to do it at a gas station when I'm forced to and where lots of crime happens.

I know 2K is a lot for the extra 3 gals, but when Eric gives me the green light, we'll find out how hard the swap will be. The fuel pump is the same part but will need a new gasket. Just waiting to see if the fuel lines are the same. If the fuel pump on the new tank is in the same location, relative to the frame, I think the LC lines can be used as the connection will be the same. I think the fuel level/gage should read the same as the orig LC, due to the pump being the same part, so if the tanks deeper (I don't think it is) the sender can be lowered. If the tank longer (I think it is) then the level would drop slower as the fuel is consumed or like in the old days......... it stays on "full" for a long time then drops etc........ I plan on keeping the OEM fuel tank..... just in case

Thanks Robbie! Have these been tested for these vehicles? I keep hearing about proper tank pressurization for the Hybrids. Also, how does the computer respond?
Mine is still in transit, but I will post a thread separately after I install the fuel tank

Interestingly, when I was trying to decide between the LC and GX, I noticed that the GX community was not happy with the capacity of their fuel tank either. It is roughly 3 gallons bigger but they get substantially worse gas mileage and struggle to get a 300 mile range in some scenarios too.

I guess as the saying goes, you can never have enough time, money, or fuel in the gas tank. :)

A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition. I guess we should add fuel tank capacity to that list as well.

My days of getting in my car and driving 450 miles non stop are long gone.

It’s not road trips where the small fuel tank is really an annoyance. I am going to have to take a leak and stretch my legs every 200-250 miles anyway.

The annoyance is for daily driving and/or exploring trails. These activities are inevitably less fuel efficient than steady state cruising and result in more frequent fill ups during the day, week, or month. In day to day life it’s just inconvenient. On vacation exploring dirt roads or trails it’s annoying to have the range anxiety too.

Back