Quality Control Delays!!

I’ve got deposits at two different dealerships, in two different states for Heritage Blue, Land Cruiser trim level, premium package with 20” wheels.

Got a call from both dealerships stating my VIN was “randomly” selected for quality control.

Coincidence? I will not be playing the lottery today…

73766178294__42B73D17-7669-4D9C-8EDF-D1C634D9F984.jpeg

The holds at the ports have no effect on production. Toyota is still pumping out LCs at whatever the normal rate is. If they have LCs that are fixed and being released from the ports, that fix has likely already been put in place on the production lines.
I heard David (the engineer) say 175 units per hour. Includes Lexus 550GX; don't know if he was referencing both plants or just Tahara. That's a bunch to go to Quality Hold after arriving at port(s).

I wonder if the units in transit will get stuck at the port for another 60 days.
I'm kinda happy that I don't have a VIN allocated yet.
Hopefully, whenever I get mine, it will have the fix that all those units are waiting for.

I wonder if the units in transit will get stuck at the port for another 60 days.
Hopefully, whenever I get mine, it will have the fix that all those units are waiting for.
Mine was manufactured on 5/15. Close to when they started putting vehicles on QC holds. I believe it is on Century Highway Green due into Portland on June 16th. I'm curious if it will be affected or not. Should tell us how soon Toyota realized there was an issue and if they began correcting it at the factory before the QC hold was put into place.

If the various PIO parts shortage continues they could sit there for a while even if the sunroof was already addressed before it shipped. Mine sat there for a month before it processed for a train ride before the QC hold.

The holds at the ports have no effect on production. Toyota is still pumping out LCs at whatever the normal rate is. If they have LCs that are fixed and being released from the ports, that fix has likely already been put in place on the production lines.
Got word from my dealer our 1958 left port yesterday and is expected to arrive to the US around June 17th. I saw the screen and there are no holds.

Got word from my dealer our 1958 left port yesterday and is expected to arrive to the US around June 17th. I saw the screen and there are no holds.
Your vehicle is on Century Highway Green along with mine. You can track it by clicking on the link I posted earlier in this thread

Your vehicle is on Century Highway Green along with mine. You can track it by clicking on the link I posted earlier in this thread
Latest batch left Japan yesterday and headed to Portland. A few other ships on their way to the East and West coast as well. Haven't asked my dealer yet but the itinerary matches up with the timeline listed on his update he gave me on Monday for shipping times.

MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

View attachment 2740

View attachment 2742

View attachment 2745
Mine was built at the Hino/Tokyo plant. Was yours built in Tahara?

When I track it says it left the toyohashi port. This shows Tahara near by. I thought it would ship from somewhere closer to Tokyo.
Yeah, not sure. I guess Toyota ships most of their vehicles from the ports of Nagoya/Toyohashi which are both close to Toyota City.

Last edited:
My dealer provided a signed purchase contract post deposit, with a VIN and a delivery window to the dealer. I structured the sale of my vehicle for the tail end of this window, after receiving confirmation the vehicle was at Port with impending transport to the dealer - from the dealer.

I made these decisions based on information I received from Toyota - with no mention of the potential for QC holds anywhere in this process.

Now maybe this is commonplace for Toyota, but dealers are under Toyota’s umbrella and if Toyota is providing the dealer a tracking application for sharing with the buyer, then the fail is on Toyota not the buyer. The dealer is Toyota.
The dealer gladly accepted my cash payment in full. I have a vin and a signed contract. The truck is in Portland on the dock. Legally I own it. Toyota should have told the dealer and dealer should have told me. How about telling me what’s wrong with the car I own?

The dealer gladly accepted my cash payment in full. I have a vin and a signed contract. The truck is in Portland on the dock. Legally I own it. Toyota should have told the dealer and dealer should have told me. How about telling me what’s wrong with the car I own?
Dang man, you paid in full already and don’t have possession? I’d demand that money back ASAP, not trying to be a bank to a dealer.

Did they require payment in full? If so I would have walked. If not, why would you pay for it in full when you don’t have it. Technically, you don’t own it. It’s not titled in your name yet. I payed a $1,000 refundable deposit for mine.

So it appears the sunroof is the likely culprit, since (at least within this thread) 1958s and LC non-premiums seem to be sailing right through without a QC hold.

Has anyone identified if the issue is specific to one plant or the other?

So it appears the sunroof is the likely culprit, since (at least within this thread) 1958s and LC non-premiums seem to be sailing right through without a QC hold.

Has anyone identified if the issue is specific to one plant or the other?
It’s design related. The drainage tube ran slightly uphill and they identified it could potentially cause leaks in the future. Supposedly a quick fix once the parts come in according to someone who talked to someone high up the chain in Toyota.

Back