Quality Control Delays!!

I’ve got deposits at two different dealerships, in two different states for Heritage Blue, Land Cruiser trim level, premium package with 20” wheels.

Got a call from both dealerships stating my VIN was “randomly” selected for quality control.

Coincidence? I will not be playing the lottery today…

73766178294__42B73D17-7669-4D9C-8EDF-D1C634D9F984.jpeg

All Toyotas get their final assembly at the port. They send out a vanilla vehicle and at the port they will put on the parts to make it a specific trim. Things like skid plates, roof racks, and wheels get done at the port.

Also, the port installed options get put on there too. These include things like dash cams, the illuminated entry plates, and items added like first aid kits, cargo Nets, and other things.

If the LC you are looking at has a sunroof, it is being held because of a quality issue, not because it needs skid plates installed.
I get the vanilla idea but the first edition had no options to speak of, everything is included. So there is some problem with the trucks that Toyota won’t own up to. Very disappointing to be treated this way.

when do they start incorporating the QC fix into the production models so they don't roll off and get held up at port?

I get the vanilla idea but the first edition had no options to speak of, everything is included. So there is some problem with the trucks that Toyota won’t own up to. Very disappointing to be treated this way.
It was already stated there is a QC hold. It is most likely something to do with the sunroof. It affects the Lexus to.

Since the truck wasn’t released into the wild and Toyota is holding it to fix the problem, they don’t have to tell you what the problem is, as long as you get a good reliable vehicle in the end. This happens all the time and not just with Toyota.

If you don’t like the way they do business you don’t have to give them your business. There’s always Volvo, Mercedes, infinity, BMW. Your choice.

when do they start incorporating the QC fix into the production models so they don't roll off and get held up at port?
Depends on whether or not they have a fix. Toyota has been having a rough time of it as I believe they just put a stop production on Tundras due to a recall of 100k plus trucks for machining issues with the engine. That will be a very expensive and lengthy issue for them to fix…

The last thing they want is for the entire Land Cruiser production line to grind to a halt as well, imagine they’re working night and day on a fix.

Depends on whether or not they have a fix. Toyota has been having a rough time of it as I believe they just put a stop production on Tundras due to a recall of 100k plus trucks for machining issues with the engine. That will be a very expensive and lengthy issue for them to fix…

The last thing they want is for the entire Land Cruiser production line to grind to a halt as well, imagine they’re working night and day on a fix.
I agree

IMG_1125.jpeg

Just wanted to share that someone with a LC w/ Premium Package took delivery in Idaho this weekend. Maybe a sign that some will get released from the QC Hold soon?

Owner said in the comments on Facebook that it was on hold for 1 week then got released and showed up at the dealer!

View attachment 2674
Just wanted to share that someone with a LC w/ Premium Package took delivery in Idaho this weekend. Maybe a sign that some will get released from the QC Hold soon?

Owner said in the comments on Facebook that it was on hold for 1 week then got released and showed up at the dealer!
so frustrating to wait, but have to keep a positive attitude that in the end, Toyota and their QC process will produce a reliable vehicle worth the extra wait

The FE has the most port installed options of all the LC grades. When it leaves the factory and is loaded onto the ship, it looks a lot like the 1958.

In addition, there are still parts constraints. So a possible QC hold for, say, the sunroof drain tubes that need to be inspected and possibly repaired, plus certain parts, like skid plates, trickling in to port because the supplier isn't keeping up, all can add up to some pretty significant delays.
Kind of funny how in this day and age, everyone wants everything NOW, and expects to be kept in the loop at all times. Combine that attitude with the entire worldwide JIT (Just In Time) manufacturing model for darn near EVERYTHING down to nuts & bolts, and you've got a logistics nightmare across the board. And dont even get me started on the volume of people now that either dont want to work, or work at half pace because good work ethics are in short supply in this weak new world. This stuff is happening with EVERY automobile manufacturer, including domestic, to some degree. Folks need to learn to deal with it and have some patience, because it ain't gonna change, ever, from here forward. This is also the result of consolidation, of the bigger companies swallowing up the smaller competition, and eventually becoming the sole supplier, manufacturer, etc. Remember the Takata airbag fiasco? Remember the more recent chip fiasco?
Get pissed and move on, but then you just start the long waiting process for the next vehicle all over again.

View attachment 2674

Dang, that is the dealer where mine is reserved! My sales guy said all are still on hold at ports but clearly that's not the case. Need to make a phone call...

View attachment 2674

This is the dealership where mine is on hold. Just talked to my sales guy and he said this vehicle has been on their lot for a couple weeks and made it through the port before the QC hold. Unfortunately this doesn't look like it means anything to those of us with a QC hold.

Anybody know how to track which ship our vehicles are loaded on? Mine is scheduled to depart from Tokyo tomorrow. It was originally scheduled for today so I'm wondering if they are delaying departure dates as well and if this will keep getting pushed back? I did notice the expected arrival at dealership jumped up a couple of days from the original arrival date of July 1 - August 12th which is kind of interesting even though the departure date was pushed back a little bit.
Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 11.04.18 AM.png

UPDATE From my dealer a minute ago............... So got an update from my GM today. The ones at port are not coming out of QC they are just actually being swapped over in system to freight with QC tag versus still showing A status and sitting at port.

Mine finished processing through the Portland the port and left via train 4/28 but they turned on the QC while it was en route.
Mine finally has a note on it that says expected qc hold of 56 days from 5/17. It is possible to come out early but that is what the expected is showing. So doing the math that puts it here roughly first week or second week of July.

For those wondering or comparing or what its worth my vin is pretty low at 651

UPDATE From my dealer a minute ago............... So got an update from my GM today. The ones at port are not coming out of QC they are just actually being swapped over in system to freight with QC tag versus still showing A status and sitting at port.

Mine finished processing through the Portland the port and left via train 4/28 but they turned on the QC while it was en route.
Mine finally has a note on it that says expected qc hold of 56 days from 5/17. It is possible to come out early but that is what the expected is showing. So doing the math that puts it here roughly first week or second week of July.

For those wondering or comparing or what its worth my vin is pretty low at 651
Sorry - I am not comprehending what that statement means?

I think it means they are starting to ship them and move inventory out of port to make room for more inventory but they are still under QC hold.
So they're putting the roof rack on them and finishing them and shipping them so it'll be even harder to inspect the sunroof lol

I think it means they are starting to ship them and move inventory out of port to make room for more inventory but they are still under QC hold.
i took it to mean the opposite..... still under qc hold .....not shipping...... just changing the status on the computer to make those still stuck in port feel better. But thats just my interpretation.

But mines out of the port so what do I know =)

Hi! Former Sales Manager here. Unless something has changed since my departure two months ago, this is a clerical move within the dealer portal and doesn’t imply anything about the QC process advancing.

Yeah, it just strikes me as inventory shuffling in the computer system and nothing more.

Back