Firewall to Engine Bay Passthrough?

JamMasterJ

📛 Founding Member
Jul 6, 2024
Media
NC
Has anyone had success passing any wiring through the firewall? I am looking to route my GMRS antenna cable to the front from the cabin (glovebox specifically.) I looked and only saw mentions in another post. No pics or mention of where.

Thanks,

JB

There is an existing hole in the firewall, driver's side. It is located just to the right and up (almost to the cowl) from where the existing wiring bundle passes through the firewall. It is plugged from the factory with a 1/2" rubber plug/cap. Harbor Freight grommet kit has the exact grommet that'll fit in the hole.

You can locate the hole from the cabin side by removing the DVR's side kick panel, pulling the carpet back (no need to pill back the felt padding) the hole is located above the felt padding. Run a fishing wire (AKA coat hanger) from the engine side and you'll be able to see/feel it from the cabin side.

Last edited:
Thanks, found it, but is it large enough for an antenna coax cable to pass through?
I measured the hole at ~15mm which matches the marking on the grommet.
If the hole is too small, I may try replacing the connector and shortening the coax cable to eliminate any loops.

1726679602606.png

Back