πŸ‘‹ Welcome to the new Land Cruiser Forum - Please post an introduction thread!

I'm familiar with the GX 550 and have been following it as well being on the same platform. If it had the hybrid powertrain I'd consider it, but since I can no longer get a turbo-diesel in this size vehicle I'm considering a hybrid for the first time since reading about the 2.4L iForce Max for the 2024 Taco back in May. Really a shame too, as renewable diesel has been readily available here and all I burn since 2014. Friends keep suggesting EVs, but I'm not a fan of Lithium Ion cells for humanitarian and environmental reasons, not too mention the thermal runaway risks. As Toyota continues to use NiMH cells in their Hybrids I can support that. Which reminds me, I've been trying to confirm if the 2024 LC will be using the more efficient bi-polar MiMH batteries announced in 2021. Anyone aware if this will be the case? Seems only the vehicles in Japan have been using those cells so far.
GX will have a hybrid option at a later date, which I (and one online source that i recently read) think will be about a year from now. Toyota's stated goal is to have a hybrid option by '25 for all vehicles, and Lexus will be a part of that initiative. I think the GX hybrid will be available for the 2025 model year. This might be something to consider given that the new hybrid Land Cruiser delivery dates remain unknown and many dealers are predicting the first batch of deliveries wouldn't occur until spring of '24.

Being the X5 is a turbo diesel with a combined mpg of 27 and can get up to 32 on the highway I'm looking at vehicles similar in size and efficiency with a torque rich output and similar tow rating. The new X5 has also replaced physical switches with on screen displays which is a turn off to me.
The on screen controls is the part I dislike about the GX. More good ol' buttons in the LC.

My assumption and concern with the GX 550 Hybrid is it will be the 3.4L TT V6 10Spd hybrid from the Tundra as it already starts out with the non-hybrid version and given the vehicle's higher price point. While the higher output is fine it's not necessary given the LC output as listed is higher than the X5 35d even considering the 35d is underrated on paper. That and having physical switches, I've pretty much already zeroed in on the LC, in the LC Trim, Premium Package, 20 inch wheels, Underground color, with the black interior.

Being the X5 is a turbo diesel with a combined mpg of 27 and can get up to 32 on the highway I'm looking at vehicles similar in size and efficiency with a torque rich output and similar tow rating. The new X5 has also replaced physical switches with on screen displays which is a turn off to me.
What is the towing capacity of the X5 ? Your requirements are not easy to fulfill :cool:. 32 mpg on the highway, torque, towing capacity, no lithium, plus the off-road capability of the Landcruiser .... you need a Diesel engine. The Landcruiser is a great car, but is not efficient at high speeds. My Landcruiser 120 has a 3L Diesel engine. At 80mph is below 25 mpg.... height...air resistance....A/T tires....

GX will have a hybrid option at a later date, which I (and one online source that i recently read) think will be about a year from now. Toyota's stated goal is to have a hybrid option by '25 for all vehicles, and Lexus will be a part of that initiative. I think the GX hybrid will be available for the 2025 model year. This might be something to consider given that the new hybrid Land Cruiser delivery dates remain unknown and many dealers are predicting the first batch of deliveries wouldn't occur until spring of '24.

What is the towing capacity of the X5 ? Your requirements are not easy to fulfill :cool:. 32 mpg on the highway, torque, towing capacity, no lithium, plus the off-road capability of the Landcruiser .... you need a Diesel engine. The Landcruiser is a great car, but is not efficient at high speeds. My Landcruiser 120 has a 3L Diesel engine. At 80mph is below 25 mpg.... height...air resistance....A/T tires....
It'll tow 6000lbs, which isn't bad for a unibody platform. Yeah, a Turbo-Diesel is always the best option for this type of vehicle, this is my second one. But alas, no more.

My assumption and concern with the GX 550 Hybrid is it will be the 3.4L TT V6 10Spd hybrid from the Tundra as it already starts out with the non-hybrid version and given the vehicle's higher price point. While the higher output is fine it's not necessary given the LC output as listed is higher than the X5 35d even considering the 35d is underrated on paper. That and having physical switches, I've pretty much already zeroed in on the LC, in the LC Trim, Premium Package, 20 inch wheels, Underground color, with the black interior.
I'm with you. Except 18's, Meteor Shower, and "probably" black interior. If you plan on going off pavement at all, the 18's make a huge difference, but if not, 20's will do it. I do a lot of gravel roads as my passion is fly fishing in remote mountain streams.

New member here! So glad I found this dedicated forum and hope it to be a great source of information as I like the rest of ya'll am thirsty for LC250 info!
On a paid waiting list here locally and have a strong connection to a GM at another dealership, so just sitting and waiting!

Distant early model 80 series owner and wish I'd never sold it. Then sank into the world of Land Rovers for 25 or so years, and just parted with a 3 year old New Defender, tired of Land Rover reliability issues. Have come home to a great little access cab Toyota in the last year and can't wait to get back to my roots of a "real" Land Cruiser!

New member here! So glad I found this dedicated forum and hope it to be a great source of information as I like the rest of ya'll am thirsty for LC250 info!
On a paid waiting list here locally and have a strong connection to a GM at another dealership, so just sitting and waiting!

Distant early model 80 series owner and wish I'd never sold it. Then sank into the world of Land Rovers for 25 or so years, and just parted with a 3 year old New Defender, tired of Land Rover reliability issues. Have come home to a great little access cab Toyota in the last year and can't wait to get back to my roots of a "real" Land Cruiser!
Glad to have you aboard! Welcome to the site everyone!

new member from Philadelphia suburbs, looking forward to getting a new toyota to replace a well loved 2015 Rav4. just crossed the y2k threshold of 200k, still running strong! fingers crossed I can make it to the delivery of the LC250 next summerish!

new member from Philadelphia suburbs, looking forward to getting a new toyota to replace a well loved 2015 Rav4. just crossed the y2k threshold of 200k, still running strong! fingers crossed I can make it to the delivery of the LC250 next summerish!

Welcome to the forum! 200k miles, that's awesome!

A Member from British Columbia interior. Getting out of the tundra and into LC, hopefully. I love the forums and all the helpful folks.

Been a member of IH8MUD, looks like same format on this site. Hate the search feature so I use google to find the Mud links :-(, lol.
I have a 2000 100 I've been restoring for 3 years now and a 2013 LX570 for 1 year. Trying to get wife to move from her 2018 mercedes gla250 into a first edition 2024 LC. Main reason is reliability, second will be that it probably will be an immediate collectable so it won't depreciate much. Main worry is the local Houston stealerships adding ripoff mark-ups on the MSRP.

Been a member of IH8MUD, looks like same format on this site. Hate the search feature so I use google to find the Mud links :-(, lol.
I have a 2000 100 I've been restoring for 3 years now and a 2013 LX570 for 1 year. Trying to get wife to move from her 2018 mercedes gla250 into a first edition 2024 LC. Main reason is reliability, second will be that it probably will be an immediate collectable so it won't depreciate much. Main worry is the local Houston stealerships adding ripoff mark-ups on the MSRP.

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you aboard. Once the site gets big enough we will enable elastic search on the site. That usually improves the search engine speed and accuracy quite a bit.

Welcome to the forum @DavidDeal2024 🍻 I think the demand for the new Land Cruiser will be high for a while, so unfortunately I think we'll see many dealers try to sell them over sticker.

Welcome to the forum @DavidDeal2024 🍻 I think the demand for the new Land Cruiser will be high for a while, so unfortunately I think we'll see many dealers try to sell them over sticker.
Agreed. However, given this forum's media reach, it would be very easy to equip all members with the ability to email the Toyota top-echelon, U.S and Japan, and encourage them to leverage US Stealership owners to NOT gouge Toyota customers. Toyota has already taken a keen interest in selling direct to the public like Tesla. They shown their disgust with greedy American Dealers at different levels.
It would be easy enough to gather the most relevant email addresses.
Maybe start a petition list too... and spread it to Mud as well!
It's worth discussing among you founding members.

Hello to All, it has been years since enjoying off roading and may not start again. While AWD does provide significant help in bad weather, a true 4x4 is the ultimate tool. There is a lot of 4x4’s to choose from, IMO, Toyota has the proven track record. Now just waiting to hear from my local Toyota dealership to order and put down the deposit (have confirmation pricing will be MSRP).

I'm a Tundra guy from Oklahoma, but looking forward to the new Land Cruiser. Drove nothing but pickups my entire life. Bought a used 2019 1794 Tundra in 2021 as the 2021 TRD Pro was sold out and I needed a vehicle since my 2018 Silverado took a dump on its electronics and Chevy couldn't fix it. Tired of the unreliability of the so called domestics, I switched to Toyota and haven't looked back. Bought my wife our first Mazda SUV this past year (partnered alliance with Toyota). She's always liked smaller vehicles because she is only 5'5". Anyhow, I'm really looking forward to what Toyota is doing with the Land Cruiser, but looks like I don't have any chance to get one. I'm not on any list and it doesn't look like they will be producing enough for every one that wants one. Time will tell.

Hello to All, it has been years since enjoying off roading and may not start again. While AWD does provide significant help in bad weather, a true 4x4 is the ultimate tool. There is a lot of 4x4’s to choose from, IMO, Toyota has the proven track record. Now just waiting to hear from my local Toyota dealership to order and put down the deposit (have confirmation pricing will be MSRP).

Welcome Tedster!

I'm a Tundra guy from Oklahoma, but looking forward to the new Land Cruiser. Drove nothing but pickups my entire life. Bought a used 2019 1794 Tundra in 2021 as the 2021 TRD Pro was sold out and I needed a vehicle since my 2018 Silverado took a dump on its electronics and Chevy couldn't fix it. Tired of the unreliability of the so called domestics, I switched to Toyota and haven't looked back. Bought my wife our first Mazda SUV this past year (partnered alliance with Toyota). She's always liked smaller vehicles because she is only 5'5". Anyhow, I'm really looking forward to what Toyota is doing with the Land Cruiser, but looks like I don't have any chance to get one. I'm not on any list and it doesn't look like they will be producing enough for every one that wants one. Time will tell.

Welcome to the forum @shaneb - I had a 2008 Tundra I kept for 5 years and it was also problem free. I'm betting the new Land Cruiser will continue the tradition of top notch reliability.

Back