Toyota App seems mostly useless...

BoredomFestival

📛 Founding Member
Sep 4, 2023
Media
Oakland, CA, USA
Is it just me or is the app mostly useless? Apparently you have to subscribe to Toyota's 'wireless services' for it to do, well, pretty much anything, and the things it does all seem redundant to the controls in the vehicle. (I'm ignoring remote start because I live in a climate where that's never something I need or want to do.)

Believe it or not if the main feature is not relevant to you then, yes, it is fairly useless.

There are a couple of other little things like being able to GPS locate where you parked and stuff. However the remote key features are definitely the biggest thing.

Last edited:
Remote lock and remote start are nice. They are a lot easier to do quickly from the Apple Watch app though.

In either case I won’t be paying for it after the year trial. You can still remote start from the key fob presumably without the subscription.

I like the app. Works well for me and made it easy to add in Home and Work and Favorites addresses and then send them to the truck. I had a Tesla Model Y and their app isn’t any better in my view. In fact, this one is more responsive. Just my two cents.

It’s all about the digital key for me, the rest is pretty useless

Digital key seems to work great so far. The one I had on my Genesis, 2024 GV80 was spotty.

I have the android version of the app and noticed that if I give the app permission to always know my location, it would constantly run in the background and drain my phone battery faster. I changed the permission to only know my location when I run the app. Digital key and remote operation all seem to still work fine.

I’ve used the glove box to view the manual a couple of times.

IMG_4768.png

The app for the integrated dash cam might be the single worst piece of technology i've had the misfortune of using. Legit can not even connect it to my phone. The annoying part is the Toyota app seems to interfere with the connection of my dash cam app. Anybody experience anything similar? God forbid I need to use the app at all to access crash footage. Might as well just pull the micro SD card instead.

The app for the integrated dash cam might be the single worst piece of technology i've had the misfortune of using. Legit can not even connect it to my phone. The annoying part is the Toyota app seems to interfere with the connection of my dash cam app. Anybody experience anything similar? God forbid I need to use the app at all to access crash footage. Might as well just pull the micro SD card instead.
It’s probably because you’re connected to the system using CarPlay or android auto on WiFi. WiFi can only connect a single device and there is a priority list. (Likely with CarPlay/aa getting priority because it was set up first.) Easiest to just use a second device to manage the dash cam or pull the card for footage.

It’s probably because you’re connected to the system using CarPlay or android auto on WiFi. WiFi can only connect a single device and there is a priority list. (Likely with CarPlay/aa getting priority because it was set up first.) Easiest to just use a second device to manage the dash cam or pull the card for footage.
Yea will probably have to use my wife's boyfriend's phone or something to manage the dash cam.

Is it just me or is the app mostly useless? Apparently you have to subscribe to Toyota's 'wireless services' for it to do, well, pretty much anything, and the things it does all seem redundant to the controls in the vehicle. (I'm ignoring remote start because I live in a climate where that's never something I need or want to do.)
Remote start is critical no matwhat climate you stay in. You have a turbo that needs oil and ambient temperature does not matter because your oil is still cold. Yes it will warm up faster but you still need to warm the oil for it to flow. Oil not only lubricates but also cools yours engine down amongst many other functions it does in an engine.

Remote start is critical no matwhat climate you stay in. You have a turbo that needs oil and ambient temperature does not matter because your oil is still cold. Yes it will warm up faster but you still need to warm the oil for it to flow. Oil not only lubricates but also cools yours engine down amongst many other functions it does in an engine.
Doesn’t really matter for a modern engine, unless you are going to floor it out of your driveway to a racetrack.

Last edited:
Yea will probably have to use my wife's boyfriend's phone or something to manage the dash cam.
That's cool of your wife's boyfriend to help out, great guy. You can also just connect to carplay the old fashioned way, via USB cable, if you need to free up the phone's ability to wifi. (same thing if you need to run a hotspot from your phone while in the car).

That's cool of your wife's boyfriend to help out, great guy. You can also just connect to carplay the old fashioned way, via USB cable, if you need to free up the phone's ability to wifi. (same thing if you need to run a hotspot from your phone while in the car).
This is why they sold you these for $75!

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 70
Back