Toyota App seems mostly useless...

Finally picked up my FE at the dealer today. The salesman helped me set up the Toyota app. I tried to let Apple pick out a strong password, as I almost always do, to be saved on the Apple keychain, and the Toyota app said it was too long. So I made up another password.

My daughter and her three young kids were with me, so we ended up stopping for some food. The Toyota app told me that a window was open. I went out and checked. Nope. All of the windows were tightly closed.

An hour and a half later, the app logged me out, and now, won’t let me sign back in.

🤬🤬🤬

I actually like the app.

Digital key
Remote start
Set temps
Lock / unlock
Tire pressure

Sends reminders if you've left the door unlocked, windows open, or left something heavy (like a child) on the seats.

2 years of service included is ok and I'll probably pay for it after just to be able to remotely start the car.

I actually like the app.

Digital key
Remote start
Set temps
Lock / unlock
Tire pressure

Sends reminders if you've left the door unlocked, windows open, or left something heavy (like a child) on the seats.

2 years of service included is ok and I'll probably pay for it after just to be able to remotely start the car.
I believe it’s only one year of free service.

I parked my car in the garage, so there was no need to lock it. The app sends me a notification every few hours telling me my car is unlocked. No way to change this unless I just want to disable it which I don’t want to do.

As far as the digital key, wait until you’re standing outside your car and it’s pouring rain and you can’t unlock it because the app crashed And you have to re-login or you don’t have cell service and you trusted this digital key so you left your physical key at home. Just saying.

I parked my car in the garage, so there was no need to lock it. The app sends me a notification every few hours telling me my car is unlocked. No way to change this unless I just want to disable it which I don’t want to do.

As far as the digital key, wait until you’re standing outside your car and it’s pouring rain and you can’t unlock it because the app crashed And you have to re-login or you don’t have cell service and you trusted this digital key so you left your physical key at home. Just saying.
You're right. It's one year.

I would never trust a digital key in general but not a terrible backup.

As far as locking reminders, seems useful when you aren't at home.

The Force is strong with you Cpt'n! I don't think i'll ever leave home without my fob!

Yea, this is a pain. I know my doors are unlocked. I didn't lock them. The problem is, if you disable the notifications, the remote start won't work which is the only good part of the app. It would be nice if you could choose which notifications to disable.

Is it just me or is the app mostly useless? Apparently you have to subscribe to Toyota's 'wireless services' for it to do, well, pretty much anything, and the things it does all seem redundant to the controls in the vehicle. (I'm ignoring remote start because I live in a climate where that's never something I need or want to do.)

Ive had the same problems. I found a solution to connecting to the dash cam app. Go into the bluetooth setting for the carplay connection and turn off auto join. This will allow you to connect to the integrated dash cam one.

The only big issue I have is once you are connected to the app, you cannot preview any clips that have been recorded. Which is very frustrating. When you try to preview a clip it tries to load and will spin forever. So the only way to look at the recordings is to pull the storage disc out and watch from a laptop, which I have not done yet. Has anyone?

Has anyone been successful at viewing recordings on the app??? If so, how???

The app needs to be fixed. Period.

Ive had the same problems. I found a solution to connecting to the dash cam app. Go into the bluetooth setting for the carplay connection and turn off auto join. This will allow you to connect to the integrated dash cam one.

The only big issue I have is once you are connected to the app, you cannot preview any clips that have been recorded. Which is very frustrating. When you try to preview a clip it tries to load and will spin forever. So the only way to look at the recordings is to pull the storage disc out and watch from a laptop, which I have not done yet. Has anyone?

Has anyone been successful at viewing recordings on the app??? If so, how???

The app needs to be fixed. Period.

Also, remember to turn off the dash cam before removing disc. Manual say so or possible disc damage.

Also, remember to turn off the dash cam before removing disc. Manual say so or possible disc damage.
What dash cam is this that you mention? The boxy rectangular one that is no longer available? Or is there something else..

A nice function of the app is that you can set a destination and send it to the car.

I assume you need cell service for the app to work or wifi? I am constantly in no cell coverage areas, remote so I doubt this app will be useful for me? Am I wrong?

I found the Toyota app to be totally useless. I see my VIN and Remote/Status/Health options; selecting any of those lead to nowhere.

If this is because I did not buy some connected services, but then I do not even see options to buy that either.

For today's day and time, Toyota cannot build an app? Compare it with the Tesla app. Everything is instrumented. Its a shame.

Anyone else having problems with the app? Last few days, I’m unable to log into app. It just keeps spinning. I can’t access anything. So right now, it is useless! Not sure what happened, I’ve cleared cache, deleted and redownloaded, nothing seems to work. And also my car is acting up. Keeps asking for my pin, which either spins endlessly or tells me there’s a problem connecting to Toyota network. Technology…a blessing and a curse!

The Toyota integrated dash cam
Okay…. 🤔

Is that the camera mounted in the grill, for other purposes, or the one that was sold as a port installed option, that mounted on the windshield, to the left of the rear view mirror, obstructing the forward vision of the driver.

Okay…. 🤔

Is that the camera mounted in the grill, for other purposes, or the one that was sold as a port installed option, that mounted on the windshield, to the left of the rear view mirror, obstructing the forward vision of the driver.
Its the latter one mounted at port on the windshield

Back