The hybrid that can't...

I think the first word tells me everything I need to know about this post.

Dude, if this is crowin COS and the LC is black with Java softex then that’s the first vehicle they offered to me. Still waiting on our current underground with black leather LC trim that just lost ETA dates earlier this week.

BLUF: Brought in for exhaust leak and i'm being told Toyota is pulling the engine to work on cylinder 1.

Well... here we are 3 weeks, 500 miles into the new rig...one of those weeks it's been in the shop...and will be for the foreseeable future. How it started...

It's a cooler Monday morning in Colorado and I'm leaving to go get my LC PPF'd. I think to myself... it's super nice out this morning...I'm going to roll my windows down and feel the cool mountain air on my way. Well... as soon as I do and I hit the accelerator to leave the house I hear what sounds like an exhaust leak.... that's weird. I drive about 3 blocks and and then I decide to turn around and check it out from the driveway. I pull into the driveway and I listen to it at idle....nothing... just normal loud injector noise. So I get back in and decide to put in neutral and rev a little bit and hold the gas down... yep!!! there it is... clear as day. Well crap... So I decide to stop over at Toyota on the way to get my PPF installed. Make an appointment for the following Monday and drive off. One thing I noticed was that after the engine warmed up...the noise went away. So... I keep that in the back of my head and I drop off my vehicle with the PPF installer. Fast forward to the weekend(no PPF got installed, another long story but maybe a blessing now) when I want to go drive the mountain pass and see how it handles a little bit on the windy roads and elevation gain. Same thing. On cold engine I hear the exhaust leak. When the engine warmed up. It went away. Fast forward.....

Monday 8 July, 2024
I drop off my vehicle and tell the advisor everything mentioned above. They order a Lyft for me and off I go to the house. Patiently waiting for a response.

Advisor (text): 3:16PM the tech finally gets to it or that's when my advisor texted me to let me know.

(text) At 5:52 PM I get another text "Hi Brandon we are going to need to keep overnight and talk with Toyota to make sure whether a normal noise or something that could be a know issue. To cover all bases."

ME (text): "You guys are hearing it though. Right? Do y'all do a leak down test or anything like that? Did you check against any other of your vehicles with the same engine to see if they do the same thing?"

crickets from my advisor....

Wednesday 10 July, 2024
Advisor(text): 12:57 PM "Hi Brandon we will put you into a loaner. bring drivers license ,proof of insurance and credit card."
Me(text): "Hey there. I look forward to hearing more about what's going on with my LC when I come in. Can you send a Lyft to pick me up?"

about 3 minutes pass and I get a notification that a Lyft is on the way (lyft app). I'm thinking to myself... I guess that means they are sending a Lyft.
about 15 minutes pass until the Lyft shows up and I get to the Service desk....

me to the advisor (in person): "So.. what's going on with it?".
Advisor (in person): "Tech looked at it and hears it but we need to have a field technician look at it to help identify what's going on. They are flying in from Arizona."
Me (in person): Great! Should I hear something back soon? When does the tech come in?
Advisor (in person): I'm not sure but..we will let you know as soon as we know something. Here's "Ed" to help you with the loaner.
Me: (in person) thanks. I look forward to hearing back from ya'll.

I get my loaner (4runner...not cleaned, didn't run particularly well. Made me appreciate the LC even more)

Friday 12 July, 2024
Advisor(text): 7:09 AM .... "Hi Brandon they found the noise coming from cylinder #1 Toyota is requesting tear down of engine to find problem."
Me (text) : "Um...what does that mean for me getting in my brand new vehicle? They are looking to replace the thing that is broke or pull the engine and replace the whole engine?"
Advisor (text): "That means the tech has to take apart to point of failure. What ever the failure is means they replace that part. Whether being a cylinder head or block."
Me (text): "What's the timeline on something like that?"
Advisor (text): "i WILL HAVE A BETTER TIME LINE NEXT WEEK ONCE WE FIND THE POINT OF FAILURE."
Me (text): replied with thumbs up emoji.

So... at this point I'm utterly bummed. I got out of a 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands that had some issues with front diff, sway bar disconnect and a few random seals leaking from the transfer case. I thought for sure the LC would be more reliable with it coming out of Japan and just Toyota reliability in general. If it ends up being the engine... it will probably be more than a month to fix which effectively puts it into the 30 consecutive days in service within the first year of ownership which qualifies for a Lemon Law buyback. Unfortunately that means I have to wait for all of this to fall into place. I'll try and keep this thread updated but... the LC was super nice before it wasn't. :(View attachment 4612

Dude, if this is crowin COS and the LC is black with Java softex then that’s the first vehicle they offered to me. Still waiting on our current underground with black leather LC trim that just lost ETA dates earlier this week.
This is the same one I believe. Looks like you dodged a bullet haha. Good luck with your underground coming in.

Are there any updates?
No updates other than I called Toyota Corporate and they are working with Corwin Toyota to get me into a new rig. I haven't heard anything from Toyota Corporate or Corwin Toyota this morning. Corporate said it could take a couple days to get back to me.

Got a call from Toyota dealership in town. "We are working with Toyota engineer to help identify the issue and Dave your advisor will call you with updates". I then asked how long it would take to diagnose the issue. "We don't know". I asked.. how long until Toyota says... we need to buy this vehicle from him and make this right? "I've seen 3 attempts and then they'll replace it". Will the dealership buy it back? "No. We don't do that". Wouldn't it be wise for the dealership to buy it back and then work with Toyota in the background while you both keep the customer happy by putting them in a new car? "That's up to Toyota. We don't do that.". Okay... well thank you for your time. ....:mad:

I could tell that the conversation wasn't going to go anywhere. I need to call Toyota back again.

This thread certainly has me concerned. I have VIN -4613 (LC Grade w. Premium) that was built in HIno, which should be hitting my dealership this week. Its been stranded in the Port of Newark since mid-May. Curious what the VIN is on the vehicle at Corwin?

I've noticed a noise from mine that sounds like an exhaust leak at cold start. It cooled off a bit where I’m at the end of last week and started hearing this in the morning. The noise went away once it warmed up, but I could hear this when initially pulling away after startup too. I’m going to just let it go and see what happens. It runs fine. Also Hino plant.

So, went to test drive a 1958 today and had a cold start. For the first few minutes, when going slow (ie. leaving parking lot and going maybe a block) there was a distinctive (yet still quiet) fluttering noise... which went away when I went faster and it warmed up.
Since it was my first test drive, I have nothing to compare it to... but this thread was the first thing that came to mind. The salesperson didnt hear it as I was alone, but said they would get a mechanic to check it over.. Sound familiar at all?

So, went to test drive a 1958 today and had a cold start. For the first few minutes, when going slow (ie. leaving parking lot and going maybe a block) there was a distinctive (yet still quiet) fluttering noise... which went away when I went faster and it warmed up.
Since it was my first test drive, I have nothing to compare it to... but this thread was the first thing that came to mind. The salesperson didnt hear it as I was alone, but said they would get a mechanic to check it over.. Sound familiar at all?
There some sort of rattling low at low speed and low gear. I’ve seen others mention it’s a hybrid system thing.

But only on cold start? I had the vehicle for ~20 mins and it was 86 degrees out.. Went away after 5 mins. Tried to replicate doing start stops, pulling over etc.

But only on cold start? I had the vehicle for ~20 mins and it was 86 degrees out.. Went away after 5 mins. Tried to replicate doing start stops, pulling over etc.
This engine makes all kinds of noises at startup and shut down with the hybrid system. The injectors, port injectors, make a rattle at startup until it switches to direct injection. Mine makes some wild noises the few seconds after shut off, including a double popping noise (I only hear this is my garage presumably being it is enclosed and really quite). I just assume it is all normal and hybrid quirks, it runs fine and quite while running. And has gotten to be really smooth and seamless while operating about 500 miles in. However, the noise referred to in this thread of like an exhaust leak I had heard that too and it is concerning given a tech identified it on OP’s as an issue in cylinder 1… unless I experience a mechanical problem or if there is some kind of widespread issue and a recall issued I’m going to just keep driving.

What makes you guys think it's an exhaust leak? What sound does that make??
I have heard that this 2.4L sounds kinda coarse and that's just the way the engine is.

At least what I heard, and I presume OP too, is it sounds like the engine without a muffler and the lack of back pressure. This is different from the coarseness of the engine always present at startup and the port injector noises. I only heard this 3 times though so far when it cooled off to 60’s in the morning. Will be monitoring, especially once it turns cold in the fall.

all right. The update you all have asked for.

Dealership where I bought from was going to exchange my LC out for one that came in this week. Was all excited and then went to check it out today (23 Jul 2024) and same thing on multiple vehicles.

Called Toyota Brand Engagement raised my concern so that I can go through Lemon Law. So... end game... No LC for me. :(

Engine torn apart.

IMG_7058.jpeg
IMG_7057.jpeg

It's an engine problem. Hamura (hino motors) is an assembly plant. I'm pretty certain all the T24A-FTS engines for the Land Cruiser are built at Tahara.
What weird is everyone is saying Hino based on my vin but my dealer's screen said Tahara.

all right. The update you all have asked for.

Dealership where I bought from was going to exchange my LC out for one that came in this week. Was all excited and then went to check it out today (23 Jul 2024) and same thing on multiple vehicles.

Called Toyota Brand Engagement raised my concern so that I can go through Lemon Law. So... end game... No LC for me. :(

Engine torn apart.

View attachment 5779View attachment 5780

Mine makes a rattle when in a low gear, low speed. It sounds very similar to that video.

This thread certainly has me concerned. I have VIN -4613 (LC Grade w. Premium) that was built in HIno, which should be hitting my dealership this week. Its been stranded in the Port of Newark since mid-May. Curious what the VIN is on the vehicle at Corwin?
Just check another two at Corwin and same thing with Cold engine. After it warms up (about 5 mins) it goes away. Sounds like crap though for the first 5-10 minutes.

Back