The hybrid that can't...

Mine makes a rattle when in a low gear, low speed. It sounds very similar to that video.
That's probably what you are hearing. All I know is they pulled the fuel / ignition from cylinder 1 and the sound went away. So they tore my original LC to pieces and now a Toyota Engineer is coming out to take a look at it at some point. I probably won't hear anything back about it since mine is getting Lemon lawed.

That's probably what you are hearing. All I know is they pulled the fuel / ignition from cylinder 1 and the sound went away. So they tore my original LC to pieces and now a Toyota Engineer is coming out to take a look at it at some point. I probably won't hear anything back about it since mine is getting Lemon lawed.
From what I’ve read.. it seems like most people are questioning this noise. Mine is a LC premium.

all right. The update you all have asked for.

Dealership where I bought from was going to exchange my LC out for one that came in this week. Was all excited and then went to check it out today (23 Jul 2024) and same thing on multiple vehicles.

Called Toyota Brand Engagement raised my concern so that I can go through Lemon Law. So... end game... No LC for me. :(

Engine torn apart.

View attachment 5779View attachment 5780

What did the dealership say regarding the other ones on their lot? If all of them are making this noise, does it appear to be a universal bearing problem in cylinder one? Mine is making the same noise as this too. You’re just getting your money back and going with something else?

So what did the dealership say regarding the other ones on their lot? If all of them are making this noise, does it appear to be a universal bearing problem in cylinder one? Mine is making the same noise as this too.
Well.. no answer from them other than they will continue to sell them to people who don't realize there is an issue. I'm getting my money back. Not sure what I'm going to do now for a new vehicle. Still trying to figure that out.

Well.. no answer from them other than they will continue to sell them to people who don't realize there is an issue. I'm getting my money back. Not sure what I'm going to do now for a new vehicle. Still trying to figure that out.
In the video you posted is the car simply in park after a cold start and you are just revving the engine? I want to try and recreate on my vehicle. I don't hear quite the same noise but definitely hear something. On cold start.

Has any issue actually been identified yet other than the suspect noise?

Just that they thought it could be coming from cylinder 1 due to removing fuel from it and it went away from the cyl. Found some metal shavings in the oil. waiting on the engineer to come out and take a look at it.
In the video you posted is the car simply in park after a cold start and you are just revving the engine? I want to try and recreate on my vehicle. I don't hear quite the same noise but definitely hear something. On cold start.
yes. it will make that noise in park or when driving down the road on a cold start. need to have windows down to hear it. Sounds a lot like an exhaust leak.

Yeah that is my main question. This is not exactly a new engine. It has been around since 2021 Lexus NX, and is used for high sale volume models like the Highlander. A quick google search does not bring any major issues related to “2.4 liter turbo”. The only similar issue I came across is a turbo wastegate valve issue that causes engine rattles during cold start.

There are probably >100k of these engines in the US alone. Globally, they may have sold over a million. So there shouldn’t issues that never encountered before.

I wonder if the dealer got allocated consecutive LCs from the assembly line with some type of manufacturing defect. There were reports of QC delays, so maybe they identified something on a certain “batch” of vehicles, and that was the reason why they had to “reQC” vehicles.

Last edited:
Are we sure this sound isn’t just a quirk that the engine has and maybe nothing is actually wrong? Did you have any actual performance issues other than the sound? I would think these advanced engines with all their sensors would throw a check engine light at the slightest detection of something wrong. The fact that all of them on the lot make the same noise makes me think this might just be how it sounds.

Are we sure this sound isn’t just a quirk that the engine has and maybe nothing is actually wrong? Did you have any actual performance issues other than the sound? I would think these advanced engines with all their sensors would throw a check engine light at the slightest detection of something wrong. The fact that all of them on the lot make the same noise makes me think this might just be how it sounds.
That is what I’m thinking and hoping as well, as mine clearly makes the same sound. It is either normal and nothing wrong or a mass scale issue that is going to result in a widespread recall like the Tundra. I just can’t imagine that Toyota Japan would mess this engine up, especially at this stage, the early production gets tons of quality control to make sure everything is good and as you noted, this isn’t a new engine and hasn’t had issues. I think it is just one of the many noises it makes, I’ve never heard a vehicle make so many different sounds at startup and shutdown (if you stay in the car and listen). The hybrid system and transmission must engage and disengage manually. One thing I have thought of is every time I drive it the engine shuts off pulling in my driveway and into my garage then I shut it off, I wonder if this is causing wash down of the cylinder walls as gas might be injected in there to start back up? To be safe, I think I’m going to always shut off with the engine running.

I just tried mine and the noise is faintly there, but it doesn't seem like anything that raises alarms to me over the 18 other noises the engine makes. I wouldnt have even noticed it without this thread. I guess we'll find out if we see a big recall down the road.

Anyone do this test with the hood open to see where exactly the sound is coming from?

Like one possibility is that this noise is actually coming from the turbo. Some turbos make a fluttering noise if you press the gas and suddenly pull you feet, which causes the turbo turbine to stall and vibrate. I assume there is also some type of blowoff valve to prevent compressor surge, so the sound may also be coming from that.

Last edited:
That is what I’m thinking and hoping as well, as mine clearly makes the same sound. It is either normal and nothing wrong or a mass scale issue that is going to result in a widespread recall like the Tundra. I just can’t imagine that Toyota Japan would mess this engine up, especially at this stage, the early production gets tons of quality control to make sure everything is good and as you noted, this isn’t a new engine and hasn’t had issues. I think it is just one of the many noises it makes, I’ve never heard a vehicle make so many different sounds at startup and shutdown (if you stay in the car and listen). The hybrid system and transmission must engage and disengage manually. One thing I have thought of is every time I drive it the engine shuts off pulling in my driveway and into my garage then I shut it off, I wonder if this is causing wash down of the cylinder walls as gas might be injected in there to start back up? To be safe, I think I’m going to always shut off with the engine running.
I doubt there will be any cylinder wash down. The hybrids have been around for years and don’t seem to have this problem. The engine only shuts off once warmed up.

OP, this probably is a stupid question, but were you using premium or regular fuel?
I only had for 500 miles and filed up with Premium only. The dealership car which is new from the factory(the one filmed) has whatever they put in it.
Anyone do this test with the hood open to see where exactly the sound is coming from?

Like one possibility is that this noise is actually coming from the turbo. Some turbos make a fluttering noise if you press the gas and suddenly pull you feet, which causes the turbo turbine to stall and vibrate. I assume there is also some type of blowoff valve to prevent compressor surge, so the sound may also be coming from that.
maybe y'all's is different noise but mine was a cylinder one issue(sounded the same as the other LCs at the dealership and didn't give me the warm and fuzzies). The Toyota techs diagnosed it down to cylinder one. Potential universal bearing issue with metal flakes in the oil. They didn't want to point out the 100% failure until Toyota engineer had time to fly out and look at it. Def didn't sound like a turbo fluttering. I've had plenty of turbos in my life and it's definitely not that.
It's just weird to me that the techs could get it to resolve by removing fuel to cylinder one and two the metal shavings. It may come out that this thing is totally normal but... in my opinion...a brand new car shouldn't sound like it has a head gasket leak going down the road first thing. As far as Toyota figuring out the engine stuff. All it takes is a bad batch of parts during engine assembly for a mass recall. It happens. Until I get a better answer about what it is...I'm pulling out of the LC family. And I loved this thing. Drove soooo nice. I just need to have full confidence when i'm in the Colorado Mountains somewhere that it's not going to crap the bed (sorry Amber Heard).

Yeah that is my main question. This is not exactly a new engine. It has been around since 2021 Lexus NX, and is used for high sale volume models like the Highlander. A quick google search does not bring any major issues related to “2.4 liter turbo”. The only similar issue I came across is a turbo wastegate valve issue that causes engine rattles during cold start.

There are probably >100k of these engines in the US alone. Globally, they may have sold over a million. So there shouldn’t issues that never encountered before.

I wonder if the dealer got allocated consecutive LCs from the assembly line with some type of manufacturing defect. There were reports of QC delays, so maybe they identified something on a certain “batch” of vehicles, and that was the reason why they had to “reQC” vehicles.
According to the Tacoma lead engineer, 50% of this engine is new and unrelated to the Lexus/Highlander engine. Same displacement but different engines for different purposes. Given the Tacoma sales volume will eclipse the Land Cruiser, it's probably best to monitor those vehicles for possible engine problems.

Back