The hybrid that can't...

It's an engine problem. Hamura (hino motors) is an assembly plant. I'm pretty certain all the T24A-FTS engines for the Land Cruiser are built at Tahara.
T24A-FTS is built at the Georgetown Kentucky plant alongside the V35A-FTS in the GX/Tundras.

I only had for 500 miles and filed up with Premium only. The dealership car which is new from the factory(the one filmed) has whatever they put in it.

maybe y'all's is different noise but mine was a cylinder one issue(sounded the same as the other LCs at the dealership and didn't give me the warm and fuzzies). The Toyota techs diagnosed it down to cylinder one. Potential universal bearing issue with metal flakes in the oil. They didn't want to point out the 100% failure until Toyota engineer had time to fly out and look at it. Def didn't sound like a turbo fluttering. I've had plenty of turbos in my life and it's definitely not that.

It's just weird to me that the techs could get it to resolve by removing fuel to cylinder one and two the metal shavings. It may come out that this thing is totally normal but... in my opinion...a brand new car shouldn't sound like it has a head gasket leak going down the road first thing. As far as Toyota figuring out the engine stuff. All it takes is a bad batch of parts during engine assembly for a mass recall. It happens. Until I get a better answer about what it is...I'm pulling out of the LC family. And I loved this thing. Drove soooo nice. I just need to have full confidence when i'm in the Colorado Mountains somewhere that it's not going to crap the bed (sorry Amber Heard).
Thanks for the update! If the dealer ever comes with an answer, please let us know.

IThe Toyota techs diagnosed it down to cylinder one. Potential universal bearing issue with metal flakes in the oil.
Glitter in the oil? Like visible-to-the-eye metal flakes? Yikes. That's serious. Very serious. Normal engine break-in should create some metal deposits, but not visible to the eye. Noises are one thing and sometimes difficult to pin down with complicated drivetrains like these, but metal suspended in the oil is a whole different game. I'd love to see that oil filter cut open.

Glitter in the oil? Like visible-to-the-eye metal flakes? Yikes. That's serious. Very serious. Normal engine break-in should create some metal deposits, but not visible to the eye. Noises are one thing and sometimes difficult to pin down with complicated drivetrains like these, but metal suspended in the oil is a whole different game. I'd love to see that oil filter cut open.
My ‘20 Tacoma oil looked liked glitter at 1,000 miles and the filter was full of metal shavings. ‘23 Integra at 1,000 miles looked like glitter too. Both had visible metal shavings at 5,000 miles too. So to me, that’s normal. Just did 15,000 mile manual transmission fluid in Integra and it looked like glitter with some bigger chunks too. Both vehicles ran normal.

I sure hope the T24A-FTS Land Cruiser engines are built at Tahara, but my research shows a huge new plant in Huntsville, AL making these for new 4 cylinder Tacomas and maybe they're shipping these to Japan for Land Cruisers and the 25 4Runners?

I think some are produced there for NA-built Toyotas, but my window sticker said 0% US/Canadian parts and 100% Japan.
From a logistics and economic standpoint, it doesn’t make sense to build engines, crates them, put on a vessel and ~20 days to ship to Japan for assembly. I doubt US labor and parts will be cheaper than Japan, let alone all the logistics cost.
This engine was also vastly used in various Lexus models way before TMMAL started build it, which i personally convinced that Japan assembly plant as 100% using parts produced locally.

Out of curiosity I went out and did a cold start and heard some sounds. I definitely heard what could sound like an exhaust leak. I decided to drive it around a bit and the sound did go away after a mile or so.

This isn't my first turbo vehicle, on my other vehicles the wastegate remains open on a cold start for 1 to 2 minutes. This is true for both gas and diesel versions I have owned. It could just be a rattle from the waste gate being open.

A search on youtube will show this rattle is common across brands, not all will or are doing it but it's a potential reason. I'll wait for it to cool down and try it again while seeing if I can disable or hold the wastegate so it does not rattle.

Potential cause: wastegate rattle on cold start or under load?

Last edited:
One of the videos Mr Pro posted sounded like an exhaust leak to me. I doubt it’s anything internal. Some of the older 4.7 engines had a faulty exhaust manifold. They would leak when cold and the video sounded similar in my opinion.

One of the videos Mr Pro posted sounded like an exhaust leak to me. I doubt it’s anything internal. Some of the older 4.7 engines had a faulty exhaust manifold. They would leak when cold and the video sounded similar in my opinion.
I thought mine was exhaust manifold too until they told me it was engine.

This is the rattle I hear when I’m driving slowly with my windows down. In this video I’m going about 15 and held my phone out the window. I was under the impression everyone was hearing this same rattle because I’ve read about it in other threads.

Does this mean I have a bigger problem?

Out of curiosity I went out and did a cold start and heard some sounds. I definitely heard what could sound like an exhaust leak. I decided to drive it around a bit and the sound did go away after a mile or so.

This isn't my first turbo vehicle, on my other vehicles the wastegate remains open on a cold start for 1 to 2 minutes. This is true for both gas and diesel versions I have owned. It could just be a rattle from the waste gate being open.

A search on youtube will show this rattle is common across brands, not all will or are doing it but it's a potential reason. I'll wait for it to cool down and try it again while seeing if I can disable or hold the wastegate so it does not rattle.

It could also be the turbo blow off vent opening to release the compressed air. Based on the videos I have seen, the noise is primarily coming if you rev the cold engine, under these conditions, ECU would probably not allow boosting the engine and vent the compressed gas. Blow of valves definitely sound like exhaust leaks since both entail sudden release of compressed air.

It could also be the turbo blow off vent opening to release the compressed air. Based on the videos I have seen, the noise is primarily coming if you rev the cold engine, under these conditions, ECU would probably not allow boosting the engine and vent the compressed gas. Blow of valves definitely sound like exhaust leaks since both entail sudden release of compressed air.
what other cars have you heard with turbos that sound that shitty? I'm not saying you are wrong but... Toyota f'd up if this is the case. Sounds like a bad exhaust leak. The sound my LC made got traced back to Cylinder 1 issue but... final word is not out on that yet either.

This is the rattle I hear when I’m driving slowly with my windows down. In this video I’m going about 15 and held my phone out the window. I was under the impression everyone was hearing this same rattle because I’ve read about it in other threads.

Does this mean I have a bigger problem?

View attachment 5921
It's hard to tell if yours is with throttle or if it's just rattling somewhere else. I'd schedule a call with your Toyota dealership and see if they can trace down the noise.

I hope it's just a wastegate rattle and my Toyota dealership tore apart my engine for no reason. That would be great news for everyone. Keep us posted.

what other cars have you heard with turbos that sound that shitty? I'm not saying you are wrong but... Toyota f'd up if this is the case. Sounds like a bad exhaust leak. The sound my LC made got traced back to Cylinder 1 issue but... final word is not out on that yet either.
I my opinion, most turbos sounds pretty bad when cold. But I wouldn’t be surprised if this one sounds particularly bad if Toyota put the blowoff valve directly on to the compressor, rather than venting it to the air box (which provides some sound insulation).

I am wondering if you put the turbo gauge on to the cluster screen and repeat this cold rev vs. warmed up rev, will the display show any difference in boost between the two? If it only shows boost after warming, the sounds is almost certainly the blowoff valve venting compressed gas.

updated main post on page 1 with additional pictures, video and explanation on current state of issue.
Thank you for the updates. I'm sure it is very frustrating for you. Following this thread has not been good for my mental health as I'm becoming worried about my brand new vehicle built in the same plant. All I can hear is that noise when I drive now.

Back