Subwoofer yet?

Vetterous

📛 Founding Member
Jul 17, 2024
Columbia, SC
Vehicles
GT-R (2014) Corvette (2008) Accord (2019)
Has anyone added a subwoofer to their setup yet? Looking for just a touch more bass.

Attachments

• Rear Hatch 1.jpeg
    Rear Hatch 1.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 272
Wow. Had no idea. If there is a spot for one, why didn’t they install one? You’d think they’d put it in the FE.

I opted for the Premium Package instead of a 1958 to avoid upgrading the sound system adding a subwoofer.

Accessing the stereo did not look too difficult on the 1958 (there was a panel behind the infotainment screen that could be popped off. Running wires did not look to be too nasty, but never fun. Since the 12V battery is in the rear, there would not need to be much work to power a sub. Changing out the speakers would not be too difficult, though the dash speakers on the 1958 appear to be full range and I have not idea what signal processing is being done by Toyota.

For the sub IF I had gotten a 1958, I was originally eying the factory location in the back hatch, but it would have to be a small sub and running the wiring would not be fun (dropping part of the headliner). The easier option would be an external sub in the cargo area, but the cargo space was a tick too narrow when considering what we would need to pack for trips.

I saw this video. We have different definitions of easy :)
Yeah, made me hella anxious just imagining someone taking all that stuff apart on my brand new LC although that dude was pretty smooth disconnecting and reconnecting everything.

Wondering how much of an impact this has on the “premium” sound system vs base one in 1958
I had the JBL 11 speaker premium audio on my 23 Rav4. Assuming the LC has the same or similar “premium” audio, it’s still pretty lackluster.

IMO, the issue isn’t the speakers on either trim but the output signal coming from the factory head unit.

1 - I would not really consider that plug-n-play. That is a lot of trim to take apart to gain access to the head unit. I guess the good old days that you can pop a single din stereo out in 5 minutes have gone the way of the V8 Land Cruiser.

2 - I have not background with the quality of the amplifier. I can only assume (and hope) it is a class D. That being said, I would be a little concerned with heat building up behind there. I have always run wiring to have the amp under the driver seat where there is plenty of space to cool it.

3 - IMO while an amp can help, replacing the factory speakers should be the first priority, which is a lot easier than adding an amplifier ("plug-n-play" or not).

4 - Deciding to get the Premium package over a 1958 was heavily based on the sound system. I could spend $3k on an Audio Control DSP amplifier, Morel speakers in the doors, a sub enclosure in the cargo area, and it would sound better than the JBL. But the effort to remove all the trim, deal with the infotainment system (that are getting more complicated everyday), and sacrifice the limited cargo space for the subwoofer just wasn't worth it. Could the JBL be better? Yes! What the system lacks in sound quality (which it is actually pretty good IMO) is made up for in convenience with more speakers offering an acceptable experience.

1 - I would not really consider that plug-n-play. That is a lot of trim to take apart to gain access to the head unit. I guess the good old days that you can pop a single din stereo out in 5 minutes have gone the way of the V8 Land Cruiser.

2 - I have not background with the quality of the amplifier. I can only assume (and hope) it is a class D. That being said, I would be a little concerned with heat building up behind there. I have always run wiring to have the amp under the driver seat where there is plenty of space to cool it.

3 - IMO while an amp can help, replacing the factory speakers should be the first priority, which is a lot easier than adding an amplifier ("plug-n-play" or not).

4 - Deciding to get the Premium package over a 1958 was heavily based on the sound system. I could spend $3k on an Audio Control DSP amplifier, Morel speakers in the doors, a sub enclosure in the cargo area, and it would sound better than the JBL. But the effort to remove all the trim, deal with the infotainment system (that are getting more complicated everyday), and sacrifice the limited cargo space for the subwoofer just wasn't worth it. Could the JBL be better? Yes! What the system lacks in sound quality (which it is actually pretty good IMO) is made up for in convenience with more speakers offering an acceptable experience.
I would’ve loved to have the LC trim with premium package. But at the end of the day couldn’t justify spending another $13,000 for the extra features, many of which I didn’t even want.

He installed the 5 channel amp in the tire Jack location, which is a pretty clever way to hide everything. JL speakers throughout the entire vehicle. Everything sounds so much better, and much more crisp. I still have plenty of room in the rear. I know many folks will go with 2 12" subs, but that's too much bass for me. I went with one 12.

Attachments

• PXL_20240807_235126391.jpg
    PXL_20240807_235126391.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 148
  • PXL_20240807_235140355.jpg
    PXL_20240807_235140355.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Back