Activate 1958 Factory Subwoofer?

If this LC is anything like the 80 series(I still have one), the tail gate speaker is the sub-woofer. There are no other places for it. The 80 series had a small simple Sub woofer in the rear cargo area/3rd row passenger side...

As for the noise cancelling feature...I seriously doubt the 1958 series has it ...

If you look to the other LC trim levels, there are small speakers mounted just under the rear window...and below it is what I believe to be the Sub. Now, those premium sound systems must have a cross over built into the head units to power the Sub woofer...the 1958 probably does not.

So how to get that speaker to operate as a sub woofer in the 1958 is the question...What needs to be done...and is it worth the effort?

Any takers??

I dug into the LC trim base stereo and did some measuring and upgrades. The sub is definitely connected and functional in the LC trim, but crossed over pretty aggressively, only from around 20-150hz.

Not sure about the 1958 trim, it is possible that it only has a 6 channel stereo (4 doors + 2 dash) versus the 8 channel in the LC/FE trim (4 doors, 2 dash, center dash, sub)

I dug into the LC trim base stereo and did some measuring and upgrades. The sub is definitely connected and functional in the LC trim, but crossed over pretty aggressively, only from around 20-150hz.

Not sure about the 1958 trim, it is possible that it only has a 6 channel stereo (4 doors + 2 dash) versus the 8 channel in the LC/FE trim (4 doors, 2 dash, center dash, sub)

Premium and FE have the 14 speaker JBL system.

Premium and FE have the 14 speaker JBL system.
They consider the base system 10 speaker, but its only 8 channel, so there's no guarantee that speakers == channels. I think the extra 4 speakers in the JBL are just another set of dash speakers in the rear hatch, and they consider those 2 speakers each since it is a woofer + tweeter

I thought the extra 4 speakers are the seperate JBL tweeters, two on the A pillar, 2 in the rear doors.

I thought the extra 4 speakers are the seperate JBL tweeters, two on the A pillar, 2 in the rear doors.
That could be, I havent seen a premium or FE in person. I only knew about the extra hatch speakers

You can see them in this picture, just above the vents.

1724877813629.png

Anyone have the instruction of how to open up the rear hatch paneling to gain access to the speaker/subwoofer? I want to do some troubleshooting if I can.

Anyone have the instruction of how to open up the rear hatch paneling to gain access to the speaker/subwoofer? I want to do some troubleshooting if I can.
I used the old fashioned "grip it and rip it" method. There are not any screws or other attachments to undo, just the clips, and it hinges somewhat from the top of the panel

I used the old fashioned "grip it and rip it" method. There are not any screws or other attachments to undo, just the clips, and it hinges somewhat from the top of the panel
Haha. I can get my fingers under the outside edge of the speaker cover. So I think I have the “grip it” part down. It feels petty snug, so it’s the “ripping it” part that has me a little worried. 🫣

Haha. I can get my fingers under the outside edge of the speaker cover. So I think I have the “grip it” part down. It feels petty snug, so it’s the “ripping it” part that has me a little worried. 🫣
I don't think just the speaker cover comes off, have to pull the entire panel

Back