Skid plate

Is there any concern that sliding one of the small screws over a rock will mangle the screw head to point that it couldn't be removed easily? I know that a 14MM bolt could do the same to some degree but typically, I think those bolts are generally much harder (Grade 5 or 8) whereas these small screws tend to be of a softer metal.
There is always the risk of that, but the hardware is internal hex and stainless.

These were designed to be light weight and to be able to support the full weight of the vehicle and in a frontal impact while traveling through the desert at high speed.

I have a similar setup on my 200 series and 3rd gen 4runner. No issues for what I do.
1722486265578.png

Is there any concern that sliding one of the small screws over a rock will mangle the screw head to point that it couldn't be removed easily? I know that a 14MM bolt could do the same to some degree but typically, I think those bolts are generally much harder (Grade 5 or 8) whereas these small screws tend to be of a softer metal.
Probably need to qualify.... my small screws are 1/4" countersunk SS and to answer your question...... no concern at all. Nothing a drill and a pair of vicegrips wouldn't fix in short order. Should it ever get mangled to the point that the screw can't be drilled out, I'll just replace the riv-nut.

There is always the risk of that, but the hardware is internal hex and stainless.

These were designed to be light weight and to be able to support the full weight of the vehicle and in a frontal impact while traveling through the desert at high speed.

I have a similar setup on my 200 series and 3rd gen 4runner. No issues for what I do.

Probably need to qualify.... my small screws are 1/4" countersunk SS and to answer your question...... no concern at all. Nothing a drill and a pair of vicegrips wouldn't fix in short order. Should it ever get mangled to the point that the screw can't be drilled out, I'll just replace the riv-nut.

Hope you guys weren't taking offense at my question. Was really more just curious than concerned.

I am tempted to buy the oem upgraded skids.. but at the current price I think it makes more sense to wait for the aftermarket to catch up. At least in Cdn$, they are near $900.. where Greenlane Aluminum for a 4Runner are around the same price.

I am tempted to buy the oem upgraded skids.. but at the current price I think it makes more sense to wait for the aftermarket to catch up. At least in Cdn$, they are near $900.. where Greenlane Aluminum for a 4Runner are around the same price.
Greenlane has a listing for their Land Cruiser skid plates now: LANDCRUISER FULL ENGINE SKID PLATE $975 Canadian for engine plus transmission.

The last time I checked the Toyota skid plate prices, lots of dealers had them at 20% or more off (I think my local dealer had them almost 30% off).

Greenlane has a listing for their Land Cruiser skid plates now: LANDCRUISER FULL ENGINE SKID PLATE $975 Canadian for engine plus transmission.

The last time I checked the Toyota skid plate prices, lots of dealers had them at 20% or more off (I think my local dealer had them almost 30% off).
Thanks! I had looked last week and they didnt have them yet.

I looked at the US pricing to ship to Montana to pick up, but didnt see any at 20% off. Just went with BAM Wholesale prices, and it was within $200 Canadian, which isnt worth the drive down. $910 from a Canadian site for the OEM skids vs $975 for Greenlane is an easy decision.

Looking for confirmation - has anyone successfully installed Rear Skid PLate PT228-35244?
I installed this part number: PT228-35241

Not sure what the difference is from your part number, but mine has Land Cruiser in the label for the part (and Tacoma): Taco Lndc Skpl Under (PT228-35241)

Thanks! I had looked last week and they didnt have them yet.

I looked at the US pricing to ship to Montana to pick up, but didnt see any at 20% off. Just went with BAM Wholesale prices, and it was within $200 Canadian, which isnt worth the drive down. $910 from a Canadian site for the OEM skids vs $975 for Greenlane is an easy decision.
I searched the part numbers on Google and spent 20 minutes adding both skids to a cart and getting estimated shipping on at least 5+ different parts departments websites. I ended up getting the both for $580 total shipped. (Within the US)

I searched the part numbers on Google and spent 20 minutes adding both skids to a cart and getting estimated shipping on at least 5+ different parts departments websites. I ended up getting the both for $580 total shipped. (Within the US)
$580 usd is just over $800 Cdn.. plus at least a tank of gas and ~4hrs driving for me, compared to $975 Cdn for Aluminum skids from Greenlane.

I ran into the same issue -- it's not in Toyota's web parts system. If you google it, it shows up on lots of dealership sites that must be using a different backend for their parts pages.
Iโ€™m just looking for confirmation that somebody successfully in startled the 244 part number and then Iโ€™m gonna order it

Ok seen all the pics but nothing that showed me how to get there. So took apart and restarted. Here are the steps

This is the metal piece that comes with new skid plate. The 3 holes in blue you will use to attach your existing plastic cover to.

This is the plastic cover that is on your car already. You will need to take it off and re-use it.

Drop the plastic cover piece on the metal bracket so the 2 big side cut outs are facing up and the holes align with the 3 holes in blue. The 2 holes in yellow are going to be where you bolt the metal piece to the lc.

Take 2 of the extra bolts from when you removed the orginal skid plate and use them to attach the metal piece to the frame (where the yellow lines are represents where the bolt holes are on the frame)

Once installed your plastic trim pieces should have a large side cut out on each side facing up (there is a small cut out on each side that will face down- not marked in pic) and the center cut out facing down- marked in blue.
Now your black metal piece and trim are done. Install skid plate (so much easier) and all set.

Still have no idea why there were zero directions or pics for the black piece. Ugh.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help on this. However, there was a step left out that took a bit to figure out. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the two bolts on the end of the metal and plastic pieces were bolting into:

1722631371061.png

I also couldn't figure out what these clips that came with the skid plate hardware were for:
1722631420022.png

I blame the heatstroke (97 degrees and 3,000% humidity) I was suffering through for the 10 minutes that it took me to put 2 and 2 together. These are the 2 screws that came out of the trim piece orginally:
1722631588575.png

And the clips goes on the metal braket that came with the skid plate:
1722631638501.png

Thanks for the help on this. However, there was a step left out that took a bit to figure out. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the two bolts on the end of the metal and plastic pieces were bolting into:

View attachment 6713

I also couldn't figure out what these clips that came with the skid plate hardware were for:
View attachment 6714

I blame the heatstroke (97 degrees and 3,000% humidity) I was suffering through for the 10 minutes that it took me to put 2 and 2 together. These are the 2 screws that came out of the trim piece orginally:
View attachment 6715

And the clips goes on the metal braket that came with the skid plate:
View attachment 6716
Ah. I just zip tied them . Ha.

Again, not sure why there were zero directions-smh

Again, not sure why there were zero directions-smh
Ok, I feel bad because I don't remember who posted this, but somewhere on this forum someone posted a bunch of installation instruction PDFs including this one for the skid plates.

Attachments

• SKID PLATE.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
I downloaded a bunch of stuff from TIS. If anyone needs something I can look for it for another 20 days till my subscription runs out. (No part number tho')

Back