Skid plate

Here’s how Toyota installs them. I followed this layout since it’s the Toyota way. I’ve seen at least 3 first editions with this setup.

This way you only have to drop the silver front skid to change the oil. The black metal piece and plastic trim piece stays in place when the engine skid is removed.

Here’s how I attached the two trim pieces.

IMG_6806.png

IMG_6805.png

A first edition I saw. And how it should look when you’re done imo.
IMG_6802.png

Another example from overland expo.
IMG_6804.png

Ok seen all the pics but nothing that showed me how to get there. So took apart and restarted. Here are the steps
20240713_102359.jpg

This is the metal piece that comes with new skid plate. The 3 holes in blue you will use to attach your existing plastic cover to.
20240713_101329.jpg

This is the plastic cover that is on your car already. You will need to take it off and re-use it.

20240713_101324.jpg

Drop the plastic cover piece on the metal bracket so the 2 big side cut outs are facing up and the holes align with the 3 holes in blue. The 2 holes in yellow are going to be where you bolt the metal piece to the lc.

20240713_102639.jpg

Take 2 of the extra bolts from when you removed the orginal skid plate and use them to attach the metal piece to the frame (where the yellow lines are represents where the bolt holes are on the frame)

Once installed your plastic trim pieces should have a large side cut out on each side facing up (there is a small cut out on each side that will face down- not marked in pic) and the center cut out facing down- marked in blue.
Now your black metal piece and trim are done. Install skid plate (so much easier) and all set.

Still have no idea why there were zero directions or pics for the black piece. Ugh.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
ha. not at all
Don’t feel bad, the Toyota tech that installed mine was initially flummoxed by that piece. And he’s been solidly installing these, running boards/sliders & other accessories on Toyotas for 5-6 years at the dealership now.

PT228-35241 doesn't exist when I try to search on a Toyota web site.
Not sure what to tell ya, if you google that part number many many Toyota dealership parts websites show up with the skid plate. I ordered mine in person at a local dealership with that part number.

PT228-35241 doesn't exist when I try to search on a Toyota web site.
Search with your preferred search engine and you’ll get your pick of parts departments.

I ended up buying both skids from a random Toyota parts department across the country for about $580 shipped. (They just arrived today, so I’ve got a fun project ahead of me!)

Last edited:
Search with your preferred search engine and you’ll get your pick of parts departments.

I ended up buying both skids from a random Toyota parts department across the country for about $580 shipped. (They just arrived today, so I’ve got a fun project ahead of me!)
Yeah it's odd -- the part number doesn't show up on Toyota's web page, or any dealer web page that uses Toyota's parts web pages. But if I google it, it does show up at various dealers with their own parts web page system.

I was checking with a dealer I may be getting a Land Cruiser from and even though the skid plates are in Toyota's build page, he says he can't configure them as port options. He could with pretty much every other option. His service department quoted MSRP + $700 to install them, so yeah I think I'll do it myself.

Yeah it's odd -- the part number doesn't show up on Toyota's web page, or any dealer web page that uses Toyota's parts web pages. But if I google it, it does show up at various dealers with their own parts web page system.

I was checking with a dealer I may be getting a Land Cruiser from and even though the skid plates are in Toyota's build page, he says he can't configure them as port options. He could with pretty much every other option. His service department quoted MSRP + $700 to install them, so yeah I think I'll do it myself.
Yikes! My dealer quoted MSRP + $120 per skid installation which still felt too high considering they will be basically doing this on every oil change. I think it was the “we haven’t done this before” added labor tax. 🤪

So I figured it would be a fun project to do on my own (or with a friend) and save well over $500. I’ll be sure to document and share the results here.

Yikes! My dealer quoted MSRP + $120 per skid installation which still felt too high considering they will be basically doing this on every oil change. I think it was the “we haven’t done this before” added labor tax. 🤪

So I figured it would be a fun project to do on my own (or with a friend) and save well over $500. I’ll be sure to document and share the results here.
Ha! just take it in with the next oil change!

You have skills! Nice job!
Thanks, I'm pretty happy how they came out. Next, I'll make a transfercase skid and possibly a full gas tank skid.

Attachments

• 20240731_153638.jpg
    20240731_153638.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20240731_153926.jpg
    20240731_153926.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 69
My FE came with Skids, my plan when it cools off a bit, is to cut and flange access plates for the drain plug and filter (as you have done). While the key holes are a great improvement over the old system. I'd rather remove 8 small screws vs dropping the entire skid. I modified the skid on my Taco the same way with a stainless access plate (I chose SS over alum for the durability).

My FE came with Skids, my plan when it cools off a bit, is to cut and flange access plates for the drain plug and filter (as you have done). While the key holes are a great improvement over the old system. I'd rather remove 8 small screws vs dropping the entire skid. I modified the skid on my Taco the same way with a stainless access plate (I chose SS over alum for the durability).
Is there any concern that sliding one of the small screws over a rock will mangle the screw head to point that it couldn't be removed easily? I know that a 14MM bolt could do the same to some degree but typically, I think those bolts are generally much harder (Grade 5 or 8) whereas these small screws tend to be of a softer metal.

Back