Quality Control Delays!!

I’ve got deposits at two different dealerships, in two different states for Heritage Blue, Land Cruiser trim level, premium package with 20” wheels.

Got a call from both dealerships stating my VIN was “randomly” selected for quality control.

Coincidence? I will not be playing the lottery today…

73766178294__42B73D17-7669-4D9C-8EDF-D1C634D9F984.jpeg

Almost certainly, but likely due to extra caution so as to prevent another one plus scarce personnel to fix things. None of the recalls are platform related.
Pretty sure the Grand Highlander recall is airbag related, I’ve yet to see anything stating the LC is one of the models affected.

Toyota has their hands full either way though with stop production on 6 models right now..

Pretty sure the Grand Highlander recall is airbag related, I’ve yet to see anything stating the LC is one of the models affected.

Toyota has their hands full either way though with stop production on 6 models right now..
Quick correction, there are zero production stoppages. There are stop sales on 2 models and recalls on a few, but production doesn’t stop unless there’s a major manufacturing flaw that can’t be resolved after they cars are built

I don't know how many of you are in the same position as me, most people are stuck in port mine is lodged in a train. Mine has finished a month long train journey from Portland (arrived April 8th) and is confirmed it is at the final rail destination Princeton Indiana I think or Chicago. Texted my salesman a few times and decided he might not be ghosting me after all and that the dealer might be effected by the software attack. I was right none of messages were getting through. After talking with him ...
"grain of salt part" ..... he said all the LC's and FE's are still loaded in the train cars awaiting "The" inspection and they would clear all of them in the trainyard at once and not be clearing things one by one. That being said when they clear I should have it 48 hrs later. Still told me the system was showing a QC hold and the same statement about 56 days from 05/17. Told him I really hoped I could celebrate the 4th of July in a truly American way in my new Japanese vehicle =) Looking forward to the longest 48 hrs of my life when I get a call.

Quick correction, there are zero production stoppages. There are stop sales on 2 models and recalls on a few, but production doesn’t stop unless there’s a major manufacturing flaw that can’t be resolved after they cars are built

Also parts shortages on 6 models produced in Japan and I believe they halted the line for a week.

Edit: looks like they started the line back up for the 6 domestic models

The black is growing on me (it better, that's what I ended up with). Still think the Meteor Shower is the sharpest color, especially since one owner put a Black vinyl wrap on the top.

Reactions: DGK
The black is growing on me (it better, that's what I ended up with). Still think the Meteor Shower is the sharpest color, especially since one owner put a Black vinyl wrap on the top.
somebody blacked out the roof on a white one and it looked really sharp too!

I just can't get over the goofy rear bumper! Hopefully after market will offer replacements quickly. Even if it was a little wider and just have the receiver visible, it would look way better.

I just can't get over the goofy rear bumper! Hopefully after market will offer replacements quickly. Even if it was a little wider and just have the receiver visible, it would look way better.
Receiver is visible with the half cover that comes with it. I’m going to put a locking pin and tow shackle on it.
IMG_7664.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7666.jpeg
    IMG_7666.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 142
The 1/2 cover still looks goofy, like it was an after thought.

Flush would look way better IMO.
Agree 100%. Flipside…someone with a 3D printer could score some pretty good money in the next few months. Someone like @EIGHTLUG doing something in Aluminum could also benefit from follow on business to go with their rock rail steps.

I'm wondering if the hitch is part of the frame and just attaches to the bumper for aesthetics or if the bumper parts are structural. May be able to just move the bumper outwards and do a filler strip for a mockup, then fabricate a new flush bumper out of aluminum with just a 2" square hole for the receiver.

Looking at the limited pictures, it looks like the spare almost touches the hitch.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. Flipside…someone with a 3D printer could score some pretty good money in the next few months. Someone like @EIGHTLUG doing something in Aluminum could also benefit from follow on business to go with their rock rail steps.
I am working on a 3d print design with a buddy, we just dont have the damn vehicle yet to start prototyping lol Actually if someone could float me some rough overall dimension of the 2 covers it would help speed things up for sure.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the hitch is part of the frame and just attaches to the bumper for aesthetics or if the bumper parts are structural. May be able to just move the bumper outwards and do a filler strip for a mockup, then fabricate a new flush bumper out of aluminum with just a 2" square hole for the receiver.

Looking at the limited pictures, it looks like the spare almost touches the hitch.
Hitch is part of the frame per the Car Care Nut review

I think the Car Care Nut stated the hitch was part of the frame. I’ll have to see when I get mine.

FYI.... most receiver hitches are bolted to the frame making them a stiffener for the frame (ie they can be removed and not weaken the frame) and they can be moved forwards or rearwards a slight amount for alignment purposes. I have seen a couple (larger trucks) where the hitch mount is riveted to the frame with no adjustment.

My thought process is, could the mount be moved towards the front of the vehicle and the bumper be moved further out allowing that hideous cover mounting surface to be recessed by 1/4" and a new semi-permanent aluminum plate be fabricated to sit flush with the bumper for a smooth look.

Car Care Nut touched on this briefly. The hitch being integrated into the frame could pose problems if rear ended and the hitch is damaged. Does this mean the frame needs to be replaced if the hitch is damaged and you want to use it again? Seems like a short sighted design.

From Facebook

"Two things on the quality hold are skid plates and a hose needing to be checked. I was in a meeting with the ExecVP of Toyota, Jack Hollis, this week and this is what he said the hold- ups are. The good news is yours has already been processed and went to freight status, which means as soon as the QC hold is lifted it will be on a truck quickly. Been such a mess with these QC Holds."

From Facebook

"Two things on the quality hold are skid plates and a hose needing to be checked. I was in a meeting with the ExecVP of Toyota, Jack Hollis, this week and this is what he said the hold- ups are. The good news is yours has already been processed and went to freight status, which means as soon as the QC hold is lifted it will be on a truck quickly. Been such a mess with these QC Holds."
How can I find out if my FE LC which has been on hold at the Port since 4/5/24 is cleared for transport? Thank you!! Dr. M

Back