LC - Auto Hybrid Engine Shut Off - Not Engaging

AMP

📛 Founding Member
Oct 3, 2024
Breckenridge, CO USA
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser First Edition
Hi All - I have new 2024 Land Cruiser First Edition. After a few days of driving it in and around town this week after a 5 hour (Highway Speed) drive back from pickup at the dealer - I'm noticing that the engine never switches OFF/over to hybrid -utilizing the battery tech system. Same a stop lights....engine does not shut off. I've got the Drive Mode set to ECO and even when driving sub 25 MPH around my neighborhood, the ICE continues to remain on. Im stumped...hoping there is an easy answer here and there is something easy that I've missed... I do live at altitude (10,000FT) in Colorado - would the lack of O2 be a cause for this hybrid system to not engage?
Thanks for any insight you can provide.

The vehicle doesn’t drive around in hybrid mode like a car does. I’ve feathered the pedal and gotten like 11 mph from a stop. The vehicle should shut off when at a stop if parameters are met.

What is the outside temp? When the weather turns cold, the heater has a major say as to when the engine will shut down.

There's a condition that isn't satisfied which is why it continues to run. That's hard to determine since we don't have a lot of info. That said it turns off when everything is checked, and speed doesn't seem to have anything to do with it because on a slight downward grade, and mutiple other conditions met that I'm probably not aware of, mine will go full electric. Highest I've seen it do that is 71mph.

X2 on the MPH is not a factor, 65mph all electric many times. At a stop light and no one behind me, electric to about 11mph.......... if you even think about pressing the gas pedal, it'll know and start the ICE.

There's a condition that isn't satisfied which is why it continues to run. That's hard to determine since we don't have a lot of info. That said it turns off when everything is checked, and speed doesn't seem to have anything to do with it because on a slight downward grade, and mutiple other conditions met that I'm probably not aware of, mine will go full electric. Highest I've seen it do that is 71mph.
Is it clearly noticeable when you car goes into electric? So far, I can't tell in the way that other gas vehicles (like my wifes subaru outback) clearly turn off and back on when at a stop.

Is it clearly noticeable when you car goes into electric? So far, I can't tell in the way that other gas vehicles (like my wifes subaru outback) clearly turn off and back on when at a stop.
Not really, I look at the MPG gauge......... when it maxes out and I'm moving, electric is engaged.

Your RPM gauge will be at zero. There is also a hybrid gauge that you can assign to the center screen (though you can have both the engine and electric motor running at the same time).

Hi All - I have new 2024 Land Cruiser First Edition. After a few days of driving it in and around town this week after a 5 hour (Highway Speed) drive back from pickup at the dealer - I'm noticing that the engine never switches OFF/over to hybrid -utilizing the battery tech system. Same a stop lights....engine does not shut off. I've got the Drive Mode set to ECO and even when driving sub 25 MPH around my neighborhood, the ICE continues to remain on. Im stumped...hoping there is an easy answer here and there is something easy that I've missed... I do live at altitude (10,000FT) in Colorado - would the lack of O2 be a cause for this hybrid system to not engage?
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
How many miles? Mine didn’t really start using hybrid-only until around 1000 miles.

At 1269 miles on the odometer, Miss Daisy is only now beginning to use the electric motor, and rarely. I only know because the tachometer is at zero.

Your RPM gauge will be at zero. There is also a hybrid gauge that you can assign to the center screen (though you can have both the engine and electric motor running at the same time).
Is the hybrid gauge different thant the "MAX" gauge that is available on the far right? Happen to have a photo of the gauge?
How many miles? Mine didn’t really start using hybrid-only until around 1000 miles.
~ 600 miles. Is there a "break-in" period for the system to work consistently?

At 1269 miles on the odometer, Miss Daisy is only now beginning to use the electric motor, and rarely. I only know because the tachometer is at zero.
So strange - Im curious what happens at this 1000+ mile "condition" to flip the hybrid system into normal working operation...

Maybe pull up the iforce gauge to see when the battery is kicking in. In my experience here in CO above 9500 feet I don’t think I have seen it run just on battery. I’m not sure what it is, but above 11k (this was on a trail) I don’t think the battery kicked in at all. Climbing Deer Creek my battery was fully charged by the time I hit the top.

Maybe pull up the iforce gauge to see when the battery is kicking in. In my experience here in CO above 9500 feet I don’t think I have seen it run just on battery. I’m not sure what it is, but above 11k (this was on a trail) I don’t think the battery kicked in at all. Climbing Deer Creek my battery was fully charged by the time I hit the top.
So weird. I'm curious if there's a different tune that can be worked or applied via Toyota for the higher elevation zones to work the hybrid battery and shut off. I live fulltime in Breckenridge so, my daily drive is between 9-10K within a hour radius of home. Curious if the Toyota tech line would offer anything or if Im better off chatting with a technician at Stevinson Toyota in Denver...

So weird. I'm curious if there's a different tune that can be worked or applied via Toyota for the higher elevation zones to work the hybrid battery and shut off. I live fulltime in Breckenridge so, my daily drive is between 9-10K within a hour radius of home. Curious if the Toyota tech line would offer anything or if Im better off chatting with a technician at Stevinson Toyota in Denver...
I was just in Breckenridge on Monday, around town I was able to get it run on battery for short burst (definitely shorter than here in Denver), but as soon as I started climbing out of downtown I never noticed the engine shutting off and just using battery.

I have almost 5k on my LC LC. I am very disappointed in the hybrid performance. Yes it is fast and has lots of torque around town. But, when I place my order I was lead to believe that it would get much better gas mileage and range. I hate having to go the the gas station all the time. I also assumed it would perform like other Toyota hybrid vehicles and have much more electric driving. For me it drives more like a fancy refined engine start/stop system for stoplights. I love the design I just wish I had the twin v6 like on the 550 with a 30 gal tank. All electric mode rarely happens with the way I drive I guess. Sea level.

I think...there's a real misconception about the hybrid engine for this model. It's for power, not gas savings. The new 4R I believe will have similar MPG, and compared to last year's model, that'll seem like a savings! But really, it's also for power.

It is my understanding that power hybrids, are not yet to the level of efficent hybrids like cars for mpg. I do compare it to what my husband drives (Tundra 15 - 16 mpg) and my Subaru V6 (21 mpg). For me, it'll be a lateral shift over in a bigger vehicle.

Back