LC - Auto Hybrid Engine Shut Off - Not Engaging

AMP

📛 Founding Member
Oct 3, 2024
Breckenridge, CO USA
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser First Edition
Hi All - I have new 2024 Land Cruiser First Edition. After a few days of driving it in and around town this week after a 5 hour (Highway Speed) drive back from pickup at the dealer - I'm noticing that the engine never switches OFF/over to hybrid -utilizing the battery tech system. Same a stop lights....engine does not shut off. I've got the Drive Mode set to ECO and even when driving sub 25 MPH around my neighborhood, the ICE continues to remain on. Im stumped...hoping there is an easy answer here and there is something easy that I've missed... I do live at altitude (10,000FT) in Colorado - would the lack of O2 be a cause for this hybrid system to not engage?
Thanks for any insight you can provide.

The vehicle doesn’t drive around in hybrid mode like a car does. I’ve feathered the pedal and gotten like 11 mph from a stop. The vehicle should shut off when at a stop if parameters are met.

What is the outside temp? When the weather turns cold, the heater has a major say as to when the engine will shut down.

There's a condition that isn't satisfied which is why it continues to run. That's hard to determine since we don't have a lot of info. That said it turns off when everything is checked, and speed doesn't seem to have anything to do with it because on a slight downward grade, and mutiple other conditions met that I'm probably not aware of, mine will go full electric. Highest I've seen it do that is 71mph.

X2 on the MPH is not a factor, 65mph all electric many times. At a stop light and no one behind me, electric to about 11mph.......... if you even think about pressing the gas pedal, it'll know and start the ICE.

There's a condition that isn't satisfied which is why it continues to run. That's hard to determine since we don't have a lot of info. That said it turns off when everything is checked, and speed doesn't seem to have anything to do with it because on a slight downward grade, and mutiple other conditions met that I'm probably not aware of, mine will go full electric. Highest I've seen it do that is 71mph.
Is it clearly noticeable when you car goes into electric? So far, I can't tell in the way that other gas vehicles (like my wifes subaru outback) clearly turn off and back on when at a stop.

Is it clearly noticeable when you car goes into electric? So far, I can't tell in the way that other gas vehicles (like my wifes subaru outback) clearly turn off and back on when at a stop.
Not really, I look at the MPG gauge......... when it maxes out and I'm moving, electric is engaged.

Your RPM gauge will be at zero. There is also a hybrid gauge that you can assign to the center screen (though you can have both the engine and electric motor running at the same time).

Very easy for me. The rpm needle goes away!

Hi All - I have new 2024 Land Cruiser First Edition. After a few days of driving it in and around town this week after a 5 hour (Highway Speed) drive back from pickup at the dealer - I'm noticing that the engine never switches OFF/over to hybrid -utilizing the battery tech system. Same a stop lights....engine does not shut off. I've got the Drive Mode set to ECO and even when driving sub 25 MPH around my neighborhood, the ICE continues to remain on. Im stumped...hoping there is an easy answer here and there is something easy that I've missed... I do live at altitude (10,000FT) in Colorado - would the lack of O2 be a cause for this hybrid system to not engage?
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
How many miles? Mine didn’t really start using hybrid-only until around 1000 miles.

Back