Java with ?

Following. Color-challenged here, so need guidance. Presently have Meteor Shower/Java in the queue. If they come back with Meteor Shower/Black will probably bite my tongue and forge ahead.

I like the idea of stepping into a brighter interior than just all black.
Meteor shower is also my first choice for exterior.

Would love a meteor shower java combo, have meteor shower black reserved
What does "reserved" mean? My dealer tells me a customer order has a "preference", but how much weight does that carry? Have a deposit on the "preference" of Meteor Shower/Java/Premium Pkg. If I should be that lucky, no surprise if other items are tacked on, such as 20" wheels.

What does "reserved" mean? My dealer tells me a customer order has a "preference", but how much weight does that carry? Have a deposit on the "preference" of Meteor Shower/Java. If I should be that lucky, no surprise if other items are tacked on, such as 20" wheels.
Means there's a VIN being built that you have a deposit on.

My Wind Chill is coming in Java. I've see a fair number of incoming Heritage Blue's with the Java as well.

Means there's a VIN being built that you have a deposit on.
This is encouraging, as it was my understanding that one really has little control, and certainly no factory orders. Sure wish I had the VIN, so I could determine which assembly plant it will be coming from. Prefer Tahara, but will take either.

I just reserved an allocation - had zero say in any of it except that the dealer I was working with got allocated a meteor shower LC trim with premium package & black interior. I wanted all of that except preferred Java to black; but hey beggars canโ€™t be choosers

This is encouraging, as it was my understanding that one really has little control, and certainly no factory orders. Sure wish I had the VIN, so I could determine which assembly plant it will be coming from. Prefer Tahara, but will take either.
It still doesn't really change in anything in how the ordering/allocation is done. When an allocation gets randomly assigned to a dealer, and the buyer agrees to take that one, that VIN gets "reserved" by the buyer so that they can buy it when it arrives. The buyer can still back out all the way until the contract is signed

It still doesn't really change in anything in how the ordering/allocation is done. When an allocation gets randomly assigned to a dealer, and the buyer agrees to take that one, that VIN gets "reserved" by the buyer so that they can buy it when it arrives. The buyer can still back out all the way until the contract is signed
Good explanation! Thank you! So, when my dealer told me my order/deposit has a "preference", it means on their random allocation, not color/etc.? At 82, I may be in the grave before seeing an LC close to what I wish. :(

Good explanation! Thank you! So, when my dealer told me my order/deposit has a "preference", it means on their random allocation, not color/etc.? At 82, I may be in the grave before seeing an LC close to what I wish. :(
When the dealer takes your preferences
it means they're going to watch their allocations until they get assigned one that closely matches your preferences. At that point, they'll offer it to you to reserve it

They may have a guy who wants black, a guy who wants white, and a guy who wants blue. They ask those preferences so that when one of those colors comes in they know who to offer it to.

Fear not. Thankfully the LC only really has 2 trims, a few colors, and basically no options. So it shouldn't take long!

When the dealer takes your preferences
it means they're going to watch their allocations until they get assigned one that closely matches your preferences. At that point, they'll offer it to you to reserve it

They may have a guy who wants black, a guy who wants white, and a guy who wants blue. They ask those preferences so that when one of those colors comes in they know who to offer it to.

Fear not. Thankfully the LC only really has 2 trims, a few colors, and basically no options. So it shouldn't take long!
Unfortunately, my Toyota dealer redefines the word "small." They also sell Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge/Ram. Good folks however, and at MSRP, which used to be unthinkable, but post-COVID we are led to believe we are getting a good deal. :(

From my understanding......... you can tell/request from the dealer anything you want. The dealer inputs a request for anything they want (may or may not be what you want, but what they think they can sell if you back out) Toyota allocates them a vehicle close to their request, the dealer can accept or reject the allocation.

If they accept, the salesperson contacts you and determines if you want that allocation, If you accept, you may or may not have to put down a deposit, when the vehicle(s) arrives at the dealership, they may or may not contact you for the final contract. The reason I put it that way...... Had a buddy in line for a Tacoma, when it arrived at the dealership they gave it to someone else. They explained to my buddy "sorry there was a mistake and that vehicle was never the one they had allocated for him and his would be in next week......yadda yadda." I even tried to place a very large deposit on my LC and was told "we don't do that, just the "hold amount".

Hopefully mine will come in before I leave on a trip so I don't get "sorry we didn't know if you were accepting it or not" I do have a deposit on my VIN and saved all the text messages and emails that included the VIN and hopefully it'll be for not.

(edit) I am very interested if different dealers are selling the Toyota extended warranty for different amounts.

Last edited:
From my understanding......... you can tell/request from the dealer anything you want. The dealer inputs a request for anything they want (may or may not be what you want, but what they think they can sell if you back out) Toyota allocates them a vehicle close to their request, the dealer can accept or reject the allocation.

If they accept, the salesperson contacts you and determines if you want that allocation, If you accept, you may or may not have to put down a deposit, when the vehicle(s) arrives at the dealership, they may or may not contact you for the final contract. The reason I put it that way...... Had a buddy in line for a Tacoma, when it arrived at the dealership they gave it to someone else. They explained to my buddy "sorry there was a mistake and that vehicle was never the one they had allocated for him and his would be in next week......yadda yadda." I even tried to place a very large deposit on my LC and was told "we don't do that, just the "hold amount".

Hopefully mine will come in before I leave on a trip so I don't get "sorry we didn't know if you were accepting it or not" I do have a deposit on my VIN and saved all the text messages and emails that included the VIN and hopefully it'll be for not.
You have alluded to my suspicion, a dealer may well internally play politics, i.e. your ordered vehicle would be sold to another, and an excuse rendered.

Key question - How long does it typically take from the order entered (I have confirmation of this), to having a VIN?

I like the idea of stepping into a brighter interior than just all black.
Meteor shower is also my first choice for exterior.
Isn't Meteor Shower just another name for silver that looks different in different lighting situations? Just another of the many silver cars on the road. My thoughts are Toyota does not have to worry too much with only 6 color offerings in the initial rollout. Clever idea to finish options out at the port of entry. Pretty stupid idea to defer deliveries due to inadequate production development or whatever the reason may be. Usually interior offerings are limited to certain exterior colors considering other manufacturers. I prefer Java inside, have a toffee or saddle color in my Silverado HD2500, and have not tired of it. I am hoping for a Heritage Blue/Java interior. OTOH I have seen black that appears to be gray. Anything but black for me. I may have to wait another year to obtain the vehicle I want. I feel fortunate to have a decent backup with a 2020 4Runner.

You have alluded to my suspicion, a dealer may well internally play politics, i.e. your ordered vehicle would be sold to another, and an excuse rendered.

Key question - How long does it typically take from the order entered (I have confirmation of this), to having a VIN?
I got my VIN within 2 weeks of my reservation.

(edit) I reserved mine 1 Feb, the dealer didn't even know the LC/FE was a thing.

Last edited:
I have a Trail Dust on the way and, while the Java interior would have made for an interesting combination, Iโ€™m ultimately glad mine is black. Trail Dust + Java is the one combo Iโ€™m not sure about.

I put in my request for a Windchill Pearl with Java interior (Premium package w/leather). I've turned down three allocations so far. I don't mind waiting.

Back