First Impressions/Road Trip

I went to check out a black 1958 for the first time in person at a local dealer. Aside from the sales person taking forever to find the key and unable to so I couldn't look at the interior, I got a good look at the exterior features. Anyone concerned with the mass amount of plastic on the outside?
I am concerned about it, holding up in general if someone hits you. There was a picture of a totaled one on here and I am very curious and also hoping that everyone walked away from that.

First impressions after four days and 200 miles in my 1958 trim, Ice Cap.
  • Quiet ride, definitely quieter than my FJ Cruiser and 2019 Mini Countryman. You can hear the electric whine on occasion which I am used to (wife has a Highlander Hybrid). Most of the audible wind noise comes from the big boxy side mirrors.
  • Size- although roughly the same size as the Highlander, the interior feels a little tighter and yet it feels bigger on the road, as to be expected from a body on frame vehicle. My garage ceiling is around 80 inches and when I open the trunk it rests upon the ceiling. If my ceiling was 82 inches I think I would be in the clear. I think going forward I will probably just open the rear window if I need to load something in the garage.
  • I was expecting the 6-speaker stereo to sound terrible, but it's passable for non-audiophiles. As I listen to podcasts half the time, I won't be upgrading. Better than the FJ stereo (low bar).
  • Interior - overall I love it. The seats are comfortable (I'm 6'1''), I don't mind the hard plastics everywhere as they will be easy to clean, and it is just well built and simple. A couple nitpicks - the volume knob is tiny, made for a kid's hands, the infotainment screen is too small (more on that below), and while I don't mind the hard plastics, a little padding on the armrest on the door would have been welcome.
  • No mats of any kind included, but there are the knobs on the floor for where the mats would lock in.
  • Top three things I miss that are on the LC trim: 1) the bigger touchscreen, Toyota really went cheap giving us an 8-inch screen on a $58k car in 2024. It would have cost them maybe $200 more for a bigger screen, 2) the thigh extender for the driver's seat, I have long legs and this would have made the seat even more comfortable, and 3) Heritage Blue, love this color. The 1958 trim needs some more exciting colors.
  • Notwithstanding minor complaints about the color selection, IMO the exterior styling looks great. Ice Cap with all the black exterior bits is a solid combo. It would look even better with some tint and black steel wheels (which my FJ came with).
  • Overall I am very happy with the LC so far and can't wait to drive it tomorrow and every day after that.
You can adjust lift gate opening height

I went to check out a black 1958 for the first time in person at a local dealer. Aside from the sales person taking forever to find the key and unable to so I couldn't look at the interior, I got a good look at the exterior features. Anyone concerned with the mass amount of plastic on the outside?
Not concerned in any way. I just traded in a 2005 LC 100 (black) that had similar plastic. It never faded or changed color even after 19 years. Also - the new LC has plastic up around the fenders, down on the bottom of the front and rear fender etc. which is EXACTLY where my 2005 rusted. Every spot that slowly rusted away on my 2005 is covered with plastic in that exact spot. No more, no less. These body's should last a long time. My only concern is the battery life :)

Oh, I remember this and this might be easier to fix. Try to completely close the App (swipe up on the iPhone). Re-launch it, log in again and re-start the process. That should fix the issue.
This was it!! Thank you. I had been playing around with it a bit with no success. Same server error message each time. I figured I would just ask the dealer the next time I was near their area. Solved. Thank you!!!

Another question, does LC have acoustic glass (doors etc)? I seem to remember TRD Jon video saying there was no acoustic glass but some others have said the opposite??
Dealer said it does have acoustic glass; I’d say it’s much quieter than the 22 4Runner TRD Pro I had.

In a review video I heard someone mention the FE comes with badging on the fob that others don’t, but haven’t confirmed.
I have the LC trim and my fobs have the badging on them.

Any new owners coming from a full-size pick up truck have any thoughts or regrets? etc. I have a 2021 F150 right now and I am wondering if I will like the Land Cruiser as much as I like my truck.
I came from a 19 Tundra and couldn't be more happy. I miss the V8 sound, but that's about it. The LC is so much easier to maneuver and park. The LC is about the perfect size vehicle IMO. But ultimately it depends how much truck stuff you use your truck for.

So for those of you who are lucky to have one right now- is the drivers seat area fairly tight? Like if you are tall does the seat go back pretty far to accommodate? Is it fairly tight in width also ? Trying to figure out how “comfortable “ this would be for a 12 plus hour drive - also has anyone stated when the wind noise really starts becoming noticeable (MPH)?
I am 6'3 and 300lbs (yes, I'm fat)....I just got mine today and so far have plenty of leg, hip, butt and headroom.

Reactions: MJE
Back