What do we know about best ways to get wiring from roof to cabin?

I would personally use this type of gland.
Keep the hole on top small enough to pass your conductor. Seal the edges of the gland with some Dicor or Geocel. Use a grommet on the hole. I would keep the glands in an area of the headliner/pillar areas easy to access.

I would run the wire along the side of the windshield to the engine compartment, then pass through the firewall to the cabin

I would personally use this type of gland.
Keep the hole on top small enough to pass your conductor. Seal the edges of the gland with some Dicor or Geocel. Use a grommet on the hole. I would keep the glands in an area of the headliner/pillar areas easy to access.
Ooooff. Thanks for response but I couldn't do that Ama-chinesium piece and I prefer not to drill holes in my rig. I was thinking about ways to pass cables through the hatch seal or down the outside of a-pillar or through the sharkfin or?

If you were going to drill a hole in the sheet metal and use a gland like you linked I would recommend instead use a quality marine gland with lower profile and better overall quality. I sell marine electronics and we use a number of better units:

1726955928662.png
1726956091491.png
1726956124563.png
1726956171373.png
1726956216724.png
1726956277205.png
1726956350396.png

Attachments

• 1726956314198.png
    1726956314198.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
I would run the wire along the side of the windshield to the engine compartment, then pass through the firewall to the cabin
This seems most likely but I may take a look at the shark fin. It could be drilled/modified and easily replaced later if you wanted to return to stock. Of course I'm sure the headliner is no fun to mess with and may be a deal breaker as it make never been teh same if you take it down.

My 2 cents........ I'd use a single gland, the smallest I could find, and run the wires through the rear hatch area/cavity ..... that way it would be protected from wind/water/snags and have the least visibility. Depending on the wire gage, you might even be able to snake them into the hatch side of the OEM boot (not the body side as that is where the water from the roof is most likely to drain), sealing the area with some clear RTV.

Back