Fan without Air Conditioning Question

LCNH

📛 Founding Member
Aug 24, 2024
New Hampshire
Vehicles
LC250 LC Heritage Blue with 20s
It’s starting to cool down in New England, so I don’t always need the air conditioning but only the fan. When I turn off the A/C, the whole HVAC system shuts down. Then when I turn up the fan switch, the A/C comes back up. What am I doing incorrectly? How can I use the fan without A/C? Thanks!

A/C compressor will automatically turn off if it is not needed. There is also an AC switch on the unit if you want to manually turn it off.

1726283406670.png

Last edited:
Great question. I am struggling with the A/C as well. Left gym tonight and sweating hard. I wanted to crank A/C but could not figure it out. Pulled into drive and spent 20 minutes playing with it. If I turn "auto " off, then appears all A/C cuts off. Is auto the only way to have the A/C on? And can you run fan without A/C? I guess I just need to re-read the manual.

Great question. I am struggling with the A/C as well. Left gym tonight and sweating hard. I wanted to crank A/C but could not figure it out. Pulled into drive and spent 20 minutes playing with it. If I turn "auto " off, then appears all A/C cuts off. Is auto the only way to have the A/C on? And can you run fan without A/C? I guess I just need to re-read the manual.
You can reduce the set tempature.

Sorry if this is basic knowledge....are you saying you leave the auto setting on and just reduce the set temperature for it? That is best way to quickly cool? I guess that is what I do with the GX470. That's my wife's main car - I am coming from the 4Runner TRD and so it doesn't even have an actual auto setting.. Technology from 1965.
Thanks!

Sorry if this is basic knowledge....are you saying you leave the auto setting on and just reduce the set temperature for it? That is best way to quickly cool? I guess that is what I do with the GX470. That's my wife's main car - I am coming from the 4Runner TRD and so it doesn't even have an actual auto setting.. Technology from 1965.
Thanks!
Yeah, keeping it at auto and lowering the set temperature is the simplest way. If you set the temp to lowest setting, it will blow cold air at max. Generally though, setting it at 65 or so will be more than enough.

You can put it out of auto, crank the temp to lowest setting and manual set the fan speed. But in my opinion, keeping it at auto and just adjusting temp is a much simpler option.

A/C compressor will automatically turn off if it is not needed. There is also an AC switch on the unit if you want to manually turn it off.

View attachment 11538

Thank you for responding, much appreciated.

What I am finding is that my system seems to always blow A/C air if the fan is on. It does not blow just ambient air. What am i doing wrong?

If I use voice controls and say “turn off a/c”, then the fan shuts down also. When I adjust the fan back on, the A/C kicks in.

Are you on a defrost mode? Like up the windshield and at the feet? This mode usually kicks out a little a/c to prevent the windows from fogging.

What I am finding is that my system seems to always blow A/C air if the fan is on. It does not blow just ambient air. What am i doing wrong?
I’ve noticed the same thing. AC is obviously running when I haven’t explicitly turned on AC.

For now while it’s still “AC weather” I’ve considered this to be a feature, not a bug. But as the weather starts to cool off I’ll have to figure out what’s going on and how to actually control the AC.

(I do not have a cool box)

When climate control unit is in “auto”, it controls when to turn on the AC function. I think you guys are overthinking it.

Thank you for responding, much appreciated.

If I use voice controls and say “turn off a/c”, then the fan shuts down also. When I adjust the fan back on, the A/C kicks in.
Have you tried canceling auto, setting a manual fan speed and turning off the ?AC option

I figured out why I was confused. When driving in ECO mode the "Eco" shows in small print just above where it says AC on, so when I shut off AC but still saw ECO, I thought I had not completely shut off the A/C. Turn to Normal drive mode and all the language clears and only fan is running.
I assume Eco light in A/C area just letting you know this is not the most efficient A/C setting since you are driving in ECO.

Something I just figured out playing with main screen. Go to settings, climate control, and then you can toggle to have air condition come on when you hit "auto", or leave A/C off until you hit A/C button.

Back