Dealer Selling LC to Their Own Dealership

Esquire

📛 Founding Member
Apr 27, 2024
Media
Omaha, NE
Vehicles
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited - Black / Redwood; 2016 Porsche 911 - 991.1 Carrera Base - Black / Black
I came across this a couple of years ago when I was looking for new 4R Limiteds. The dealer would sell the 4Runner to their dealership, title it, and then
put in on the market as a used truck with very few, if any, miles.

I know they do this to hit their sales numbers and get a dealership bonus, etc. However, I can't imagine any manufacturer would condone this as it is not a true sale.

The dealership knocks a grand or two off and the buyer becomes the second owner. They never seem to sell very well. And, Frankly, I wouldn't want to be a second owner
on a "brand new" vehicle and only save a grand or two.

This same dealer has done the same thing with a LC Premium. Knocking two grand off MSRP.

Thoughts?

I suppose it becomes a question about price. Because at $5K off I would seriously consider a deal like that. I assume it comes with all the warranty, anyway

Very interesting. A dealership only a mile from me had a FE with 300miles on it. They had it titled in the dealers name so I would have been 2nd owner. Problem was it was also marked up by $10K. I couldn't really make sense of it. Have never heard doing this to hit sales numbers, but wasn't about to buy and apparently most were like me because it sat for about a month.

Back