Anyone purchasing below MSRP?

crashpadsncontrails

📛 Founding Member
Apr 4, 2024
Media
Florence, KY
Vehicles
2024 LC FE
I have a deposit in for a FE at a local dealership w no markups, w a 56 day quality control hold which was notified as of 5/17. (Ouch). I saw an article that said some dealerships are selling 2024 LC’s below MSRP up to 5k below. Anyone encounter this? And any for FE’s? If so, were they only applicable to unclaimed LC’s on dealership lots or for previous held deposits?

Also, anyone have any luck negotiating anything when you came in to pick your LC up? Thanks!!

Maybe some FEs are getting sold below MSRP because they’re pretty damn expensive for what you get. I cannot imagine it with regular LCs and have not heard of any dealer cutting these kinds of deals.

As to negotiating when you go to pick it up, this seems dishonorable to me. If you agreed to buy at a certain price, you should honor that. Likewise, it would be dishonorable for the dealer to suddenly try and tack $5k onto the price if you agreed to MSRP. A deal is a deal.

Last edited:
You'll have to find a LC (whatever the trim level) sitting on the lot at the dealer. They won't negotiate below MSRP if you're trying to reserve an allocated/in transit LC, at least for 2024 (maybe next year).

But say come September, you find a FE sitting on a dealer lot, you can probably knock off 2k or more if it's been sitting there for a week or more.

For the 1958's, they're sitting. Barely anyone is buying them because of how bare-bones they are for 56-60k. So I could see people getting 3-4k off by the end of July, beginning of August when other trims show up and are selling. Especially if it has a bunch of add-on port options like a roof rack, skid plates, etc.

Maybe some FEs are getting sold below MSRP because they’re pretty damn expensive for what you get. I cannot imagine it with regular LCs and have not heard of any dealer cutting these kinds of deals.

As to negotiating when you go to pick it up, this seems dishonorable to me. If you agreed to buy at a certain price, you should honor that. Likewise, it would be dishonorable for the dealer to suddenly try and tack $5k onto the price if you agreed to MSRP. A deal is a deal.
The ‘deal’ is never a ‘deal’ until there is ink involved, but I get your point. The point of my question wasn’t in regards to agreeing on a price and then coming in and negotiating down from that. Thats not my situation.

Negotiating also includes options/ accessories etc. For example, I asked for a list of options and basically will get what I get, and was told any options I wish to add after it leaves port I pay dealership labor for install. Its been almost two decades since Ive bought a new car.

I believe a few 1958s have sold below MSRP because they're a hard sell at sticker when the LC trim is only a bit more. I would bet approximately 0 FEs have been sold under MSRP.

I'm aware of 1 (one) GX OT+ that sold below MSRP because the dealer wrecked it in the lot when it was delivered, and then repaired it. Sold it under.

I too believe "a deals a deal" and I am happy to pay what we agreed upon. But you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm going ask! That being said I'm 99.9% sure the answer will be a resounding "NO".

I was a little offended by the salesman when he triumphally informed me he had been authorized to give me a free hat for the QC inconvenience. I told him he could keep it. Some people need to hone their skills and learn to read the room.

(edit) Ha! I called my salesman to see if there was any movement (sadly no) and I asked "are there any plans to sweeten the price because of this QC delay" He said "let me check" which i'm figuring as being put on hold with an answer of "No". To my surprise he came back and said the dealer would match my deposit of $1000.00......... Bonus!

Last edited:
I’d be very surprised if any of the trims are selling below MSRP because especially with the QC holdup there is little to no inventory not already sold.

This includes the 1958 trim. Since it appears that many (not all) of the middle LC models are pushing an MSRP close to $70k since most appear to include the premium package and many include an additional up charge for 20” wheels. But instead, if you prefer the round headlights , 18” wheels and don’t need the other add-on’s, buying a 1958 at the MSRP of $ 57k seems like a pretty fair price.

Last edited:
I’d be very surprised if any of the trims are selling below MSRP because especially with the QC holdup there is little to no inventory not already sold.

This includes the 1958 trim. Since it appears that many (not all) of the middle LC models are pushing an MSRP close to $70k since most appear to include the premium package and many include an additional up charge for 20” wheels, if you prefer round headlights , 18” wheels and don’t need the other add-on’s, buying a 1958 at the MSRP of $ 57k seems like a pretty fair price.
I wouldn't say they're consistently under MSRP but there have been 1958s sold $500-$2000 under MSRP in slower moving parts of the country already.

Currently within 500 miles of Zip 22551 there are 78 1958 models that are unsold and already out of transit.

I have a deposit in for a FE at a local dealership w no markups, w a 56 day quality control hold which was notified as of 5/17. (Ouch). I saw an article that said some dealerships are selling 2024 LC’s below MSRP up to 5k below. Anyone encounter this? And any for FE’s? If so, were they only applicable to unclaimed LC’s on dealership lots or for previous held deposits?

Also, anyone have any luck negotiating anything when you came in to pick your LC up? Thanks!!
I think I know what article you’re talking about. If it’s the one I read it’s BS. The article is based off cars.com stock photo trucks and the prices listed there. We all know by now that means nothing at all. The dealership I purchased mine at admitted that there’s one random guy running their entire online inventory and sometimes it can be innacurate. My truck was on their website and cars.com for two weeks after I purchased it. I’m not saying anyone is wrong for prices they’ve heard and so on. Just saying be careful and I personally wouldn’t trust internet/phone prices until it’s on paper. If you don’t get screwed in several other ways on top of it. Bring someone with you if you aren’t experienced

Last edited by a moderator:
The ‘deal’ is never a ‘deal’ until there is ink involved, but I get your point. The point of my question wasn’t in regards to agreeing on a price and then coming in and negotiating down from that. Thats not my situation.

Negotiating also includes options/ accessories etc. For example, I asked for a list of options and basically will get what I get, and was told any options I wish to add after it leaves port I pay dealership labor for install. Its been almost two decades since Ive bought a new car.
I agree; I don’t think a deposit in this situation constitutes a deal. It might be difficult to argue what is fair, but considering the massive overnight price increases and high interests rates, negotiating on a car price seems reasonable and, as usual, customary.

Good News: You Can Buy A 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser At MSRP – Or Even Less​

I read this article and actually went through the many ads on their site for Land Cruisers by dealers. When you go to the dealers sites it’s the same old story, “call for price”, or “unlock the price”, or just openly “dealer adjustment, market adjustment, etc.”

Drove by the local dealer last night. They have an unsold 1958 sitting on the lot at MSRP. It had just been delivered though.

1000006125.jpg

was just offered a LC with premium. blue with grey top / java interior. It is on the ground near Houston, TX. It has PIO up to $70,838 and they are adding $2K in dealer add-ons. (window tint, nitrogen filled tires, lo jack protection, interior / exterior environmental protection package, all season floor mats) $73,187 pre tax. $77,878.43. At first wanted $86,415.23 out the door. LOL

Last edited:
Yeah in reply to all of this. Whether you read this, Heard that, it’s not official until it’s on paper. I wouldn’t even trust a deposit, but I could be wrong. I had to be borderline confrontational to every person in there for 6-8 hours to not pay for bullshit and a little over MSRP. They are ruthless. I could write several paragraphs, which I did to Toyota customer support. I told the finance guy “I feel like I’m in a fucking time share presentation”. If you get out of there with just taxes and fees and a reasonable price you killed it. But maybe bring a cigarette with you, if you like to have a cigarette after you get fucked.

Yeah in reply to all of this. Whether you have a deposit or not. Heard this. We’re told this. It doesn’t matter. It will be the highest bidder. I had to be borderline confrontational to every person in there for 6-8 hours to not pay for bullshit and a little over MSRP. They are ruthless. I could write several paragraphs, which I did to Toyota customer support. I told the finance guy “I feel like I’m in a fucking time share orientation”. If you get out of there with just taxes and fees and a reasonable price you killed it. But maybe bring a cigarette with you, if you like to have a cigarette after you get fucked.
Yeah, I had a decent experience overall but the final calculation sheet they gave me had a major error which would have resulted in me paying a couple grand extra (due to them not including my trade in value to reduce the taxable amount). And that was with me paying $1500 over MSRP (which I wasn’t happy about, but could live with given it was the exact model and vehicle I wanted). Anyway, I got it changed but they tried to make me sit for a few hours.

Reminded me of why I hate car buying. It’s different for everyone but generally I can live with not getting the BEST deal in the world if I am treated honestly and my time is respected. The two vehicles I bought before this, both Chevy trucks, I just texted with the dealer, an acquaintance, someone drove the vehicles to my house, took title to my trade in and drove them back. Could I have gotten a slightly better deal elsewhere? Probably, but the ease or the actual transaction made it worthwhile to me.

Yeah, I had a decent experience overall but the final calculation sheet they gave me had a major error which would have resulted in me paying a couple grand extra (due to them not including my trade in value to reduce the taxable amount). And that was with me paying $1500 over MSRP (which I wasn’t happy about, but could live with given it was the exact model and vehicle I wanted). Anyway, I got it changed but they tried to make me sit for a few hours.

Reminded me of why I hate car buying. It’s different for everyone but generally I can live with not getting the BEST deal in the world if I am treated honestly and my time is respected. The two vehicles I bought before this, both Chevy trucks, I just texted with the dealer, an acquaintance, someone drove the vehicles to my house, took title to my trade in and drove them back. Could I have gotten a slightly better deal elsewhere? Probably, but the ease or the actual transaction made it worthwhile to me.
Yes it’s more the lying and the treatment than anything. Multiple lies that I either knew or googled. And once they knew they weren’t squeezing another scent out of me, they acted like I didn’t exist. Good dealers are out there I’m sure. Or smaller markets might be more chill. But someone on here just paid 10k over and who knows what else (probably everything) in Arkansas….Sounds like you did great 👍. Congrats

Yep, you have to stand your ground and walk if it gets too "chicken shiet"

Dealers are in it to make money, I get that, but honestly goes a very long way in my book (even if I don't like the answer).

(edit) When I purchased the Taco, I informed the salesman "give me your best and final offer, if I like it I'll buy the truck, if I don't ....... nice talking to you." He didn't believe me and I walked. Later that day I got a call from him offering 1K less the MSPR..... which I accepted.

Last edited:
I agree; I don’t think a deposit in this situation constitutes a deal. It might be difficult to argue what is fair, but considering the massive overnight price increases and high interests rates, negotiating on a car price seems reasonable and, as usual, customary.
If I have paid a deposit for a vehicle identified by VIN, VSPEC, and a sale price, its becomes a binding agreement. Dealer cannot add accessories and increase price, it will be a contractual violation. I have paid a deposit and I am waiting for the vehicle to arrive at the dealer. Let's see how that goes.

Back