Anyone purchasing below MSRP?

When I bought my 1958 a couple weeks ago, I checked with 20+ dealers in 6 states and Smart Path as well. I was able to find all trims at MSRP, including a LC trim for $63,800. I also found each trim advertised for $500-$1200 off MSRP, but these were either models with excessive port-installed options or dealers that were only selling to local buyers.

Where I got mine, no mark ups and no add on family packages or super high dealer fees. Most places that may appear to be discounting, add it back in another way. 500 off but you have to get our 1600 family lifetime etc package. That’s just what I’ve see in the southeast.

was just offered a LC with premium. blue with grey top / java interior. It is on the ground near Houston, TX. It has PIO up to $70,838 and they are adding $2K in dealer add-ons. (window tint, nitrogen filled tires, lo jack protection, interior / exterior environmental protection package, all season floor mats) $73,187 pre tax. $77,878.43. At first wanted $86,415.23 out the door. LOL
Did you buy in league city? I was there today too and we asked to test drive but the salesman said it just sold. I think I saw you with your wife and child. They have a Fe coming in later today or tomorrow but wanted 7K for that package. Small world lchouston. Let me know if that was you. Thanks.

Looked at Smartpath inventory within 100 miles of me. 8 Land Cruisers (all 1958 Editions) that are not sold or in transit, 2 of them are listed on Smarthpath below MSRP. One of them is 1k below, the other is 2k below.

Looked at Smartpath inventory within 100 miles of me. 8 Land Cruisers (all 1958 Editions) that are not sold or in transit, 2 of them are listed on Smarthpath below MSRP. One of them is 1k below, the other is 2k below.
I think a lot of people will use the 1958 as a platform anyway, but the real missed opportunity with that vehicle was not having the sway bar disconnect. You made a a barebones vehicle for off-roading, but you didn’t give it the same functionality as the less barebones vehicles. Wouldn’t surprise me if you see those prices come down below msrp for the 1958.

I think a lot of people will use the 1958 as a platform anyway, but the real missed opportunity with that vehicle was not having the sway bar disconnect. You made a a barebones vehicle for off-roading, but you didn’t give it the same functionality as the less barebones vehicles. Wouldn’t surprise me if you see those prices come down below msrp for the 1958.
Honestly, most people probably don't care about the swaybar, but if it had Softex instead of cloth I think we'd be seeing them fly off the shelves.

I bought my 1958 for MSRP on May 31st. I called around and probably spoke to at least twelve dealerships. One of them called me back on the last day of the month and said they’d sell at MSRP if I came in that day.

Funny story about Stealerships....... I had inquired at several local dealers with a simple request, as I have a LE inbound but at a healthy dealer markup, if they received an FE and it was on the lot and available for immediate sale, I'd come in that day and pay cash, I wasn't interested in anything else so please don't contact me unless it's on the lot.

A salesman sent me an email with a quote for $87,184.10. I responded back with "this is on your lot?, if it is I'm not willing to pay 11K over MSRP." He responded with "no it should be in in 2-3 weeks and your math doesn't add up it's at MSRP plus the appearance package, doc fee and taxes, but if your opinion changes you know how to contact me." Below is my response:

Here's my math:
Dealer cost is somewhere around 70K-71K
MSRP is $76,674 w/o dealer requested PIOs (base w/o taxes)
Your advertised price is $78,769 (base w/o taxes)
Your quote to me is $87,184.10
$87,184.10 minus $76,674 = $10,510.10
$87,184.10 minus Taxes $3352.60 = $83,831.5

You are correct it's not 11K but $7,157.5
$7157.5 minus your additional figures $2997=$4160.50 over MSRP

Just not willing to pay 4K over MSRP, 2K on PPF or a 1K DOC fee and that "opinion" will not change as there are several dealers asking less for the same vehicle.

His response: đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Funny story about Stealerships....... I had inquired at several local dealers with a simple request, as I have a LE inbound but at a healthy dealer markup, if they received an FE and it was on the lot and available for immediate sale, I'd come in that day and pay cash, I wasn't interested in anything else so please don't contact me unless it's on the lot.

A salesman sent me an email with a quote for $87,184.10. I responded back with "this is on your lot?, if it is I'm not willing to pay 11K over MSRP." He responded with "no it should be in in 2-3 weeks and your math doesn't add up it's at MSRP plus the appearance package, doc fee and taxes, but if your opinion changes you know how to contact me." Below is my response:

Here's my math:
Dealer cost is somewhere around 70K-71K
MSRP is $76,674 w/o dealer requested PIOs (base w/o taxes)
Your advertised price is $78,769 (base w/o taxes)
Your quote to me is $87,184.10
$87,184.10 minus $76,674 = $10,510.10
$87,184.10 minus Taxes $3352.60 = $83,831.5

You are correct it's not 11K but $7,157.5
$7157.5 minus your additional figures $2997=$4160.50 over MSRP

Just not willing to pay 4K over MSRP, 2K on PPL or a 1K DOC fee and that "opinion" will not change as there are several dealers asking less for the same vehicle.

His response: đź‘Ť
What is a PIO?

So a few LC trims at Balise Toyota in West Springfield, MA, they have blue, trail dust black and meteor in stock with No markups….ask for Karen!

I put a deposit on mine (LC Premium) in April at MSRP with no add ons. This was at a time when the majority of dealers in this area were doing a market adjustment or add on or both. I still don't have mine but most other dealers have at least stopped the market adjustment. I have not seen any below MSRP and I follow dealer websites very closely and frequently.

I got mine at MSRP but the dealer added some extras for free (window tinting, door ding and wheel protection package, extended maintenance up to 4 years). I'm pretty happy with it

Supply and Demand...

It's my understanding that car dealers consider having 70 days of inventory on hand as being optimal. Dealers with less than 70 days inventory have high demand and those with more than 70 days will be more willing to cut deals to cut down on inventory. Can you guess which dealerships have the lowest inventory and are therefore asking for a premium?

April 2024 Day's Supply.png

I actually got really lucky and got $1000 off on my Land cruiser trim with premium package. Brother was buying a supra and we were able to negotiate a 2 car deal and I got a $1000 off while he was able to get nearly $4000 off.

I put a downpayment on mine on 5/27... YET>>>> Still waiting for my LC... Anyway... to your question.

Before this time above... Here in the Phoenix Az area... There was a $10,000 Dealership adjustment for any Landcruiser period.... but in Scottsdale it was higher at $15,000... So I went about a 1.5 hrs drive north to get MSRP... So WhooHoo... I'm going to save 15 to 10 thousand in dealership mark up..... NOT SO FAST!!!

The longer I wait... the faster the Adjustments drops here in Phoenix! Meaning... Now...the Dealership mark up for Phoenix is now at $5000.00... and no longer at $10,000. FYI... Not sure if Scottsdale is different?

So the longer I have to wait on delays... the less Money I save by buying 1.5hrs away...

Who knows if in 2 to 3 weeks when my LC is predicted to actually arrive... Every one will be offering MSRP... and I would have waisted a 3hr round trip home???

Eastern Shore Toyota in Daphne, AL is showing 5 in stock, already with Ridge Grapplers, for under MSRP. I’m supposed to take delivery of mine any day now from a different dealer and it’s tough seeing available options out there.

Mike Calvert Toyota / Houston - currently multiple on lot, five+ online at $3k below MSRP in black, blue and white colors. Most 1st Edition but also base/mid-level with premium package. Too bad I paid list (+ a few mandatory dealer add-ons that I pretended I needed anyway) just several weeks ago at another local dealer! Sensing inventories are building for sure locally in this large market.

Back