1958 vs base premium pkg

DGK

📛 Founding Member
May 28, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
1958 landcruiser
So as the owner of a 1958 with just over 2k miles. I had the chance to hop into a base model with the premium pkg at my local dealership. This one was also made in a different factory. My 1958 was made in Hino japan while this came out of the tahara factory.

Exterior/ paint quality seemed identical. I had a vibrating exterior side mirror and this one has a similar issue, so at this point i figure everyone’s exterior drivers mirror vibrates with some wind and freeway speeds (design flaw).

Interior just blew me away though. Felt like a completely different vehicle. The multi view camera was just amazing quality compared to the 1958. heads up display was cool but probably worthless, but the one most exciting thing were the seats. Having lumbar support and adjustability Is a game changer for those long road trips. Plus memory settings for your SO.

Driving experience felt nearly identical, but i did notice when i pressed on the gas the wheels loss traction off the line. My 1958 never looses traction. This is probably cause this car in particular was equipped with 20 inch wheels. I wouldnt call this a benefit.

In conclusion it was a fun comparison. This model was nearly 13k more than what I paid. I dont think the price difference is justified. If anything, they do make a base model landcruiser with most of these features for 63k which probably would be worth an upgrade over the 1958, but that model is nearly impossible to find at dealerships. As far as factories are concerned. Finally, the lights on the 1958 are also clearly better looking imo. If anything, I wish toyota added more adjustable seats to the 1958.

IMG_2235.jpeg
IMG_2127.jpeg

Last edited:
Everyone’s situation is different. I’m coming out of 3-4Runners with mts. I’ve seen what mts can do, it was offered in the lc, I had to have it. Don’t really think I need the disconnect sway bar. Had to go with the premie for the tech that will be in every lc in a couples years as standard equipment. All the 4Runners were built at Tahara, I beat them pretty hard in the woods, I was happy to see my allocation was built at the Tahara plant. All nice vehicles, I hope they have the longevity of previous generations.

I think, only a $13k difference is a steal. But untimely this comes down to what each person prefers.

Nice writeup. I personally like and will use every option on the Premium Pkg. I've had heads-up display on past BMW 5 / 7 Series and truly find that option not only handy, but also a nice safety feature. It's hard to find this option on any upscale vehicle, regardless of price.
The cool box is gimmicky. I'll use it for storage just like it wasn't there.
The power/memory/thigh extension / better seats are worth every penny. The JBL sound is a must. The video rearview mirror is quasi gimmicky, however, nice.
And, of course, the sunroof is a must. I wouldn't own/drive any vehicle without a sunroof.

I like the 20" wheels. This is a personal thing. I don't off-road, so I like the appearance of aggressive wheels.

The headlights are personal as well. I prefer the triple beam square on the LC Edition. Again, that is a personal preference.

To me, the $13k or so price increase to get the Premium is worth every penny.

Nice writeup. I personally like and will use every option on the Premium Pkg. I've had heads-up display on past BMW 5 / 7 Series and truly find that option not only handy, but also a nice safety feature. It's hard to find this option on any upscale vehicle, regardless of price.
The power/memory/thigh extension / better seats are worth every penny. The JBL sound is a must. The video rearview mirror is quasi gimmicky, however, nice.
And, of course, the sunroof is a must. I wouldn't own/drive any vehicle without a sunroof.

I like the 20" wheels. This is a personal thing. I don't off-road, so I like the appearance of aggressive wheels.

The headlights are personal as well. I prefer the triple beam square on the LC Edition. Again, that is a personal preference.

As far as audio. I forgot to mention this, but i couldnt tell a difference. If anything my 1958 system sounded better for acoustics. JBL sounds muffled and base heavy

Same here, but I guess we've established that the justifications will be different. Me personally:

Base LC + sunroof + 20" wheels, no PP
  • HUD is a gimmick for me. Have it on our 5 series and the only time I turn it on is to show someone what HUD is
  • Would have loved the lit door sill, but that was an easy fix by buying it online
  • Wish I had the wireless charger. Truly missed out on this, but if the retrofit is as easy as the lit door sills above where it's pre-wired, I'm on it
  • Cool box - I appreciate the additional storage size, instead
  • I like pleather over real leather. My 17-yr old Mercedes with 250k miles has seats still looking like new. With zero maintenance! The 5 and my old 3 still look good, but not without additional care
  • No need for the additional nannies that the PP provides
All in all, very happy with the base + 2 of the 3 of the options available for it.

Funny, I went out of my way to NOT get a sunroof. I have never been a fan. Nothing to leak or break, plus a stronger more rigid roof. Way more headroom without it as well.

HUD with apple car play (maps) is by far the best thing I've ever used! Not too cluttered just, My speed, how far the next turn is, which direction I'll be turning, was perfect.

Same here, but I guess we've established that the justifications will be different. Me personally:

Base LC + sunroof + 20" wheels, no PP
  • HUD is a gimmick for me. Have it on our 5 series and the only time I turn it on is to show someone what HUD is
  • Would have loved the lit door sill, but that was an easy fix by buying it online
  • Wish I had the wireless charger. Truly missed out on this, but if the retrofit is as easy as the lit door sills above where it's pre-wired, I'm on it
  • Cool box - I appreciate the additional storage size, instead
  • I like pleather over real leather. My 17-yr old Mercedes with 250k miles has seats still looking like new. With zero maintenance! The 5 and my old 3 still look good, but not without additional care
  • No need for the additional nannies that the PP provides
All in all, very happy with the base + 2 of the 3 of the options available for it.
Funny. I have the premium package. Love all of the things you don't. If I could have ordered it without the wireless charger I would have. The Qi charger is just as worthless as it was on my taco.

Funny. I have the premium package. Love all of the things you don't. If I could have ordered it without the wireless charger I would have. The Qi charger is just as worthless as it was on my taco.
I agree the one on the Taco is worthless. I do find with the Apple Car Play BT feature, the one in LC is most useful. It was nice being able to tell Siri to cancel navigation, play iheart radio etc ... without a cord was great!

Last edited:
I agree the one on the Taco is worthless. I do find with the Apple Car Play BT feature, the one in LC is most useful. I was nice being able to tell Siri to cancel navigation, play iheart radio etc ... without a cord was great!
Yeah I like the wireless android auto. The charger is just more of a phone warmer than a charger it seems

Yeah I like the wireless android auto. The charger is just more of a phone warmer than a charger it seems
Not as powerful as I'd like, but on long drives it does good. After all what would we do with that 100 dollar phone cord kit........ 😆

On the Taco, I actually moved the USB data port over to the Dvr's lower switch panel area and placed a cell ph holder by the "A" pillar. Dang thing had to have a data port for the apple maps, which i use almost exclusively.

On a side note, does the Android allow you to get map directions if you have the address under a ph number?

I just used this and it was amazing. I hope they make something similar for the cruiser

I just used this and it was amazing. I hope they make something similar for the cruiser
That's cool! I know you're in VA...... I have my radar detector there. Wish I'd known that was available I would have used it, maybe on the LC. I have driven from AL, AR and FL to MD, through VA, thousands of times. In-laws live in southern MD and my sister lives in Ashburn, VA

Maybe my hate of the Qi pad is just resentment over being forced to pay for that damn cable kit.
I told my dealer that I already had twenty eleven cords for my iPhone, and did not need three more, unless they were titanium braided indestructible ones.. he took them off the order.

After sitting in both the 1958 and the LCLC I chose to order the LCLC w/o premium. It's the best "value" in the lineup IMO.

In Canada, the LCLC is the same as US spec except it comes with the wireless charger and sunroof as standard, but the upcharge from the 1958 is about the same.

I was trying to convince myself that the savings for the 1958 were worth it, but the following pushed me to the LCLC:

• the lack of soft touch on the door cards where I rest my left elbow, would get old on long drives (which I do often having family out of town),
  • the 8" infotainment screen (seriously the gauge cluster...fine...but the infotainment?),
  • the wheels and smaller tires (which I really dislike),
  • the unpainted front bumper "squares" below the headlights, and most importantly,
  • the lack of roof rails on the 1958 (I often carry a canoe when camping and no way it's sitting on the roof with foam pads).

Just "doable" upgrades to the wheels/tires, installing roof rails and painting the front bumper "squares" would have cost the same or more as the LCLC upcharge, without any of the other benefits. I also prefer the rectangular headlights after seeing both in person.

Last edited:
Back