Winch

What's the LED bar? Or is it whatever I buy and put in there?
It's an additional light source for driving off road, and looks cool. There are too many after market suppliers to count. Check your state laws concerning additional lights up front. Some states they can only be so high from the ground etc......

It’s a DV8 light bar
Which one or is that an option? Also, will there be an option to buy w/o and put something else in there? I've found it really nice to have DOT approved driving lights. (Local PD likes to write tickets for non-DOT approved lights that aren't covered.)

It's an additional light source for driving off road, and looks cool. There are too many after market suppliers to count. Check your state laws concerning additional lights up front. Some states they can only be so high from the ground etc......
I doubt a cop would read that strip as a light when passing head on. I didn't think it was a light without the closeup pic. But perhaps I'm being optimistic.

I'm going to wait for this one, super nice! reminds me of the US. Offroad hidden winch mount I had on my FJ

Question: how do you reach the free spool lever though?
On my Taco I used a Harbor Freight wobble extension, fab'd an extension rod and ran it up into the grill area..... open hood easy access.

I doubt a cop would read that strip as a light when passing head on. I didn't think it was a light without the closeup pic. But perhaps I'm being optimistic.
He hangs out at the auto parts store.

Not sure about the camera. I’ll ask the guys at DV8.
Looks to me this is a 1958. I wonder if the winch would fit onto a Landcruiser LC or first edition as they have the sway bar disconnect system in that area. Also it seems to make the approach angle a bit worse and scoop up mud and sand. It looks great though.

Looks to me this is a 1958. I wonder if the winch would fit onto a Landcruiser LC or first edition as they have the sway bar disconnect system in that area. Also it seems to make the approach angle a bit worse and scoop up mud and sand. It looks great though.
This is a 1958 so I don’t have to worry about the front camera, but I’ll ask about the upper trims. I don’t have the sway bar disconnect either so not sure how the bumper would affect that mechanism. Another question I’ll ask Dv8 about. Also, anyone who buys a bumper like this is likely someone who also plans to or already has lifted their vehicle.

Dissent off road just posted a video on powering a winch. It’s a lot of work and money. They’re not even sure if it’s gonna work yet…

Reactions: Don
Ugh that seems a quite involved process for a winch. For people who rarely go off-roading it might make sense to use a hitch mounted portable winch. This has the advantage that you don’t have to carry the winch all the time. You just put it into the trunk when needed. Still means that connecting it to the battery is a challenge. They could move the bottle jack and put in switches and relays in the position for connecting to the battery.
I wonder how the set up
At the 4Runner Trd pro and trailhunter will be as they are often get winches. Based on that there may be easier solutions in the future.

Reactions: Don
I am a big fan of hand cranked winches, if you always go off-roading with another person.

Since they are not permanently attached the front of the car, you cane easily be used pull from any recovery point without the need for pulley etc.

The drawback is it becomes a two person job, as one person needs to hand crank and the other person needs to drive.

Having grownup with come-alongs and chain winches........... 15-20 foot forward progress at a time, on a 200 foot pull, gets old really fast. 90 foot forward progress at a time with an electric winch, wins every time.......LOL
Yeah but I don’t think many LCs will need a 200 foot pull. I guess the people who go into deep mud or trenches go for more dedicated off-road vehicles.

Back