WAITING PERIOD BEFORE FIRST WAX

robsurfskate

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Aug 6, 2024
Media
Orlando, FL
Vehicles
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser 1958 Edition
Is there anything noted in the Manual referencing a "waiting period before first wax"?

The factory wax is not bad.. we had rain this week and the water was beading really nicely. I'm not waxing for a couple of weeks after more rainstorms pass through.

The factory wax is not bad.. we had rain this week and the water was beading really nicely. I'm not waxing for a couple of weeks after more rainstorms pass through.
I still have water beads as well after three months of ownership...

Pretty sure the factory does not apply wax. that's just the polished surface of the clearcoat. While most clearcoats will last for years......... that shine and water beading is due to the slickness of the surface. Normal element exposure has already started to degrade the surface, when you apply wax or other type sealant you are filling in the surface imperfections which restores (to a degree) the surface. Some use the expensive ceramic coatings, which fills in imperfections and dries to a hard durable surface and will last for a long time, but is expensive. Me, I chose to use the auto car wash with the wax etc.......... not as good as ceramic or hand applied, but getting it washed once to twice a week, it'll more than protect the surface for many years to come.

Pretty sure the factory does not apply wax. that's just the polished surface of the clearcoat. While most clearcoats will last for years......... that shine and water beading is due to the slickness of the surface. Normal element exposure has already started to degrade the surface, when you apply wax or other type sealant you are filling in the surface imperfections which restores (to a degree) the surface. Some use the expensive ceramic coatings, which fills in imperfections and dries to a hard durable surface and will last for a long time, but is expensive. Me, I chose to use the auto car wash with the wax etc.......... not as good as ceramic or hand applied, but getting it washed once to twice a week, it'll more than protect the surface for many years to come.
I was going to ask what wax do you recommend.

But then I read your statement"auto car wash with the wax etc.."

What do you mean by this?

Do you mean that drive-thru automatic car washes have an option for waxing as well as you drive through? Or does someone apply the wax to the car after the wash?

I am hand washing with Chemical Guys wash/wax once a week. No drive thru car washes for my LC.

I am hand washing with Chemical Guys wash/wax once a week. No drive thru car washes for my LC.
Thank you. Do you use a spray applicator on your hose with this product? If so please provide a link . Or do You put it in a bucket and use a sponge?

As you can probably tell, I haven't washed a car in decades. I live in on a long dirt road on a ranch and nothing stays clean๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿคฃ

Thank you. Do you use a spray applicator on your hose with this product? If so please provide a link . Or do You put it in a bucket and use a sponge?

As you can probably tell, I haven't washed a car in decades. I live in on a long dirt road on a ranch and nothing stays clean๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿคฃ
Old school, bucket and a mit. I use a leather shammy to dry it off to prevent water spots. The LC is super easy to wash due to the shape of it. I do have to get a step stool to get the front windshield and roof...๐Ÿ˜‚

Old school, bucket and a mit. I use a leather shammy to dry it off to prevent water spots. The LC is super easy to wash due to the shape of it. I do have to get a step stool to get the front windshield and roof...๐Ÿ˜‚
Seems like cleaning the roof with the roof rack on would be difficult as well.

I was going to ask what wax do you recommend.

But then I read your statement"auto car wash with the wax etc.."

What do you mean by this?

Do you mean that drive-thru automatic car washes have an option for waxing as well as you drive through? Or does someone apply the wax to the car after the wash?
Yepper, I have a subscription for 1 wash a day anywhere in the US or at any "Tidal Wave" car wash. They use the liquid ceramic wash off wax.

I used Mcquire's before they built the car wash near my home.

Is there anything noted in the Manual referencing a "waiting period before first wax"?
Not like the old days where paint needed time to air cure. Paint today is cured in the factory. Plus the Land Cruiser has to take a long journey from Japan before you receive it.

Wax away!

Yepper, I have a subscription for 1 wash a day anywhere in the US or at any "Tidal Wave" car wash. They use the liquid ceramic wash off wax.

Thank you. As much as I would love to wash the car myself, I just don't have the time or energy especially considering I live in a long dirt road and it gets dirty every single day.

I'll have to search for a car wash that also has a waxing option.

I just wasn't sure if automatic car washes were bad for the paint or vehicle.

Have you noticed any swirl marks by using the automatic wash? I assume it is one with brushes?

I have been using the wax setting at the do it yourself car washes for 10+ years on our 2013 Volvo and the paint still looks new to me. The paint on my former 2016 Audi also looked very good. I feel like European cars used better or more expensive paint or maybe more coats..... but whatever they did, the quality seems way higher than most cars. My former 2015 Chevy truck did not look as new as the volvo or audi and I used the same wax for years.

I don't go through the automatic car washers. It's either handwash & wax at home or a do it yourself station.

Back